Author Topic: First attempt at X10  (Read 3516 times)

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
First attempt at X10
« on: April 14, 2009, 06:10:20 pm »
Hey guys I am trying my first attempt at X10 and I don't think I can go any simpler for this test.
I have a fresh 32 bit install from the DVD. The devices involved are a Radio Shack 61-3002 Lamp Module and an RCA HC60RX PC interface.
Let me start by saying I am new to Linux and I am also new to X10. I'll be doing some Z-Wave next weekend but I don't want to just let my X10 devices collect dust.

What  am trying to do is setup a basic scenario where I can turn On/Off a lamp from my linuxmce. I followed instructions on the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/X10 (very well written I must say).
I installed the HC60RX as a CM11A as the store I bought it from claims it is identical just dofferent brand (this could be my issue). I followed the instructions religiously up to Configuring the CM11A. I followed that part as well and selected Com1 ( my PC only has 1 serial port. I am assuming it is com1 but not knowing Linux I am not sure how to verify.

Next I did this:
From the LinuxMCE Admin Website Select Device->Lights
Then select "Add Device" which will open a new window.
Select Radio Shack in "Manufacturer" and "Lighting Device <Environment" in "Device Category"
Then select Apply Filter Button
Now select "Light Switch (on/off)" in "Device Template" menu and click on "Pick device Template"
A new Window appears with the default device data, now make the appropriate changes
Put in "Port / Channel Number address (A2)" X10 module
Select its room location before save.

I then added an On/Off button on my orbiter by going to Devices, Scenarios and adding a scenario for that device on that specified room (only room is use right now) on the admin site.

I still can't get this to work... When I click on the on/off button nothing happends. Also after adding adding the devices, there was a test button which I clicked on to try it and nothing happened either. Being so new to thins I am not sure what to look for to troubleshoot this.

Any suggestions?

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: First attempt at X10
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 06:23:10 pm »
 :)
Check to see if your cm11a device is actually registered int he webadmin page.
From the left click 'Interfaces'
A new window should open up in the right. There you should see your cm11a listed, it should show that there is a com port for it, in the top drop down
Next click on the entry's 'Advanced' button. On the left of the new window that opens you should see 'Registered Yes'
That way you know for sure that the system knows it is there.

If any of these things are not so, unplug the cm11a from the wall receptacle and wait 30 seconds, and then plug it back in, then do a quick reload router.

I have attached some screen shots from mine below. I use Insteon and X10 devices in my house (more X10, as they work well and are easy on the wallet)
And I have all kinds of scenarios set up, and lots of buttons. You should need no special intervention. Provided the RCA device is compatible with the cm11a, and I am pretty sure it is, you should just be able to use it.

Also make sure the "Controlled by" device is the Core, not the Core/Hybrid, I made this mistake once.

Best Regards, and Best of Luck,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:38:35 pm »
Seth
Thanks a lot for your quick answer... I checked everything you mentiones and yes the CM11A shows under interfaces, it is controlled by the Core on Com Port /dev/ttyS0 which if I understood correctly is Com port 1. I go to advanced and it does say it is registered. Could the device be registered but not be seen by the system? Do you know of a way to verify that the com port is the correct one? like I said there is only one serial interface and I just assumed it was com1 but did not know how to confirm this in Linux.

I think I am going to test by changing com ports just to see if going up to com3 or 4 makes any difference.

Thanks again

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:47:21 pm »
OK, I just found something that might be relevant... Seth you mentioned to check under interfaces for the CM11A and see if it shows registered which it does. I now went under lights where I added the lamp module as a light switch on/off and went to advanced and this device does not show as registered.
Would this mean I did not add this device properly?

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 07:25:58 pm »
I just launched my webadmin here, the lights themselves do not show as registered, and this I can only assume is normal, as all my lights function.

Have you tried unplugging the cm11a from the wall outlet and waiting 30 seconds, andthen plugging it back in? After you do this, reload your router.
As it is registered, perhaps it is out of sync, or locked up. Mine does this anytime there is a power bump, and occasionally after a reboot.

Check that.

Regards,

Seth

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 07:59:38 pm »
Seth
I figured out the problem....
Like I said when I started the post, I am new to X10 as well as Linux. Well I had the CM11A connected to a power strip.
Later on I read on a forum that some power strips (the better quality ones) filter X10 signals as noise on the line.
I made sure that both the CM11A ( or its RCA counterpart I should say) and the Lamp module were plugged in directly to a power outlet (no poer strips) and it worked like a charm.

Pretty excited about this. I promised my son I would try to set up the Party Button (for those who have seen the video from some MIT kids and their automated room with a party button) with our LinuxMCE system and this is a start.

Thanks a million for your help.

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 08:09:05 pm »
 :D
Glad you got it sorted. I didn't even think to ask if it was in an outlet or a strip. Well now that you have it, I can recommend an e-bay store called x10-express, where I buy all my X10 stuff. I have dimmer switches, xps3 switches for ceiling fans and flourecent bulbs, half a dozen lamp dimmer and appliance modules, and a few insteon devices, that I assigned X10 addresses to, so the cm11a controls them as well.

All this is controlled by the lmce core. Once you get your feet wet a bit, and a few more devices, you can start playing with scenarios. I have one that turns on the coffee bar light, sets the wall lamps to 30% brightness, and starts up my coffee pot every work day at 515AM. Very cool stuff, all at the click of a button, and completely self-sufficient from that point on. Well besides changing the coffee filter, adding new coffee, and water to the pot.

Welcome to the new world...  ;)

Regards,

Seth
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:10:50 pm by seth »