Author Topic: Don't ring MD phone while media is playing  (Read 5964 times)

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
Don't ring MD phone while media is playing
« on: April 14, 2009, 05:41:53 pm »
Right now we can choose to ring a MD or not, but there is no option to suppress ringing a MD if media is playing. I would like phone calls to ring my MDs, but only if I am not watching media.

Also, it would be nice if there was a caller ID function during media playback, similar to what Dish offers. That way our media isn't interrupted, but we know who is calling.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Don't ring MD phone while media is playing
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:48:14 pm »
Isn't this what the VIP caller list is for? i.e. only disturb if a VIP caller comes in?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:21:53 am »
I get a caller ID from my trunk, which is displayed. My current copy of the Telecom plugin is broken while I extend this.

As for MD phones, if you set up an MD as a phone, it will pause while you deal with the phone, and while you talk on the phone, and return back to playing when done.

Why do you not want this?

-Thom

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 04:03:00 am »
I get a caller ID from my trunk, which is displayed. My current copy of the Telecom plugin is broken while I extend this.

As for MD phones, if you set up an MD as a phone, it will pause while you deal with the phone, and while you talk on the phone, and return back to playing when done.

Why do you not want this?

-Thom

While that feature is awesome, and we use that in the bedrooms, it is not so good for the home theater or the other general entertainment areas. If friends/family are over they certainly don't want the movie interrupted for a phone call. And most calls are to the wife and kids so I don't want my movies paused at the best part while I wait for them to pick up the phone in the other room. But when media isn't playing I would love for all MDs to ring.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 04:06:09 am »
Isn't this what the VIP caller list is for? i.e. only disturb if a VIP caller comes in?

While that is also a nice feature, it doesn't much to do with what I suggested. A MD should ring according to all current settings/rules, unless I am watching media and then it would not ring for any callers, including VIP. Of course that would need to be an on/off setting since some would want that while others wouldn't.

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 04:18:24 pm »
I see the original poster's point that it can be obtrusive when you're watching a movie to have it pausing constantly, but this is a feature in itself.  Maybe a better tradeoff would be to display a popup while the phone is ringing with the option to accept or decline the call, if declined push the call to voicemail and never stop playing your media.  If answer then pause the media and let you hold a conversation.  Seems to be the best of both world's and a reasonable improvement over the current functionality to me.  Just my .02

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 04:36:56 pm »
I have never tried it myself, but dont the different users in LMCE have different settings? I was under the impression that if user A was in the hometheater (under his profile) and user B was in the bedroom (under her profile) that if a call came in for user B it would route just to that MD... of course you would need to have the incoming caller listed as a caller for user B, but I thought that feature was already there.

Either way, LMCE has the ability to overlay a small message box I would imagine for the right hacker it would be fairly easy to have this box pop-up and show the phone number of the incoming call without pausing the movie.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:07:20 pm »
Go to wizard-->devices-->Phone line -->settings

Phone Lines | Incomming Calls Settings

Set where the phone rings during each house mode.

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:42:54 pm »
Go to wizard-->devices-->Phone line -->settings

Phone Lines | Incomming Calls Settings

Set where the phone rings during each house mode.

HTH

Tim

Thanks for that, I know. But there is no setting to ring a MD _UNLESS_ watching media. Read my original post again.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 08:50:05 pm »
I have never tried it myself, but dont the different users in LinuxMCE have different settings? I was under the impression that if user A was in the hometheater (under his profile) and user B was in the bedroom (under her profile) that if a call came in for user B it would route just to that MD... of course you would need to have the incoming caller listed as a caller for user B, but I thought that feature was already there.

Yes, but if a call is routed to me, I don't want the MD to ring if I am watching media.

To clear it up:

if [ $media = "playing" ]
then
`DO NOT RING`
else
`RING`
fi

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 11:01:20 pm »
I am not sure why you cant set the entertainment mode to not ring.

And set your house to entertaining mode while entertaining

what am i missing?

Tim

My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 01:44:15 am »
I am not sure why you cant set the entertainment mode to not ring.

And set your house to entertaining mode while entertaining

what am i missing?

Tim

Because I am using more than ONE MD. And I already tried that. There is no way to do what I suggested. There needs to be a way to suppress ringing on each individual MD if media is playing on THAT MD. If I set the house to entertain, then all of the MDs I checked for that feature wont ring whether media is playing there or not.

I'll find my own workaround (duct taped), but the developers should consider adding this. Just a suggestion for improvement, that's all. I don't mean to offend anyone by my suggestions, this is what I do for a living - make technology better. That tends to follow me home.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 03:45:41 am »
Well, if you do find a solution, i'd like you to work with us to put this into our code.

If you want to take a whack at it, the answer lies in modifying the Telecom Plugin. Take a look.

-Thom