Author Topic: GlovePIE WiiMote support, and other noob questions  (Read 2538 times)

Che

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
GlovePIE WiiMote support, and other noob questions
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:48:30 pm »
Hey there, First post, etc. etc.
I'm thinking of building a Media center in my bedroom, and am looking at LinuxMCE as a possiblity (will probably initially sret up with WinMCE, but will probably evewntually change).
I have a couple of questions though:
  • Does Linux MCE have glovePIE support, and if so, has anyone used a Wii-Mote with it? If so, then that would be BRILLIANT for me, as I've been thinking of using WiiMotes, as it has a bit COOL factor, plus, they're cheaper. And also, Glovepie is very customisable, which makes things LOVELY.
  • How much do you think it would cost for a basic media/lighting automation system? I already have the box, just no monitor, or any other goodies. I will initially only be using it in just the one room, more as a test than anything, so I don't need much.
  • Does LMCE play HD movies?
  • Does it have bittorrent support?

Thankyou so much in advance, and thankyou anyway to the developers, you do truly rock. I mean it. And not just ordinarry Sandtone Rock. You're godamn Quartz Rock Rocking. I don't know where I'm going with this. At all.

Cheers!

patmankn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: GlovePIE WiiMote support, and other noob questions
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 06:02:06 pm »
Hi Che,

welcome to the world of LinuxMCE...
Does Linux MCE have glovePIE support, and if so, has anyone used a Wii-Mote with it? If so, then that would be BRILLIANT for me, as I've been thinking of using WiiMotes, as it has a bit COOL factor, plus, they're cheaper. And also, Glovepie is very customisable, which makes things LOVELY.
As far as i could check, GlovePie seems to be a key-mapping editor for Windows... well, still buzz around with linux.
Checking the search-forum/wiki function would return u bunch of information. give it a try, won't hurt ;O) http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=9504a7d0c4b50ca39e02cbe4e5dd64ca&action=search2

How much do you think it would cost for a basic media/lighting automation system? I already have the box, just no monitor, or any other goodies. I will initially only be using it in just the one room, more as a test than anything, so I don't need much.
Well .. some spent few bucks, i did aprox 1000USD, but didn't accomplished most of my goals. Some spent much much more (several 1000s, as LinuxMCE used to be quite picky with Hardware). It depends on, what u bring to the table, what u need, how big your scenario(one light-switch or 254?) should be etc...
Does LinuxMCE play HD movies?
Yes it will. If you have the right graphic card. Some NVidia 6xxx, 7xxx, etc will do, but check the compatibility in the forum... some seem not to be supported yet. As Linux Support for HD is not implented in 7.10, keep in mind to have a powerful CPU for HD playback or play around with the CoreAVC implementation. Again... check the search.
Does it have bittorrent support?
Well its Linux, so everthing is possible. But No, there won't be a plug & Play support within the Orbiter/MDs scenario, but u can install a client, extract/move the files to the specific folder, and LinuxMCE will pick it up... so you can use the files.
again... check the forum/wiki http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7905.0

And one's for sure... our Devs REALLY rock ;O)

Cheers as well
Pat
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:11:23 pm by patmankn »
Hybrid: MSI MS-7329,Nvidia 6150 onboard,AMD BE-2400,2gb RAM,Sharp Aqous LE 37X20E via MD Zotoc Ion Synergy,Terratec 1200 & Cinergy DT USB Diversity DVB-T, KNC ONE TV-Station DVB-C,WebDT366,Fiire Chief http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/User:Patmankn

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:05:43 pm »
  • Does Linux MCE have glovePIE support
no
  • Does LinuxMCE play HD movies?
I had success playing some 720p mkv files.

You might want to checkout the http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ for more details (very helpful reading)[/list]

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:19:52 am »
I play 720p HD files with my setup here, I need a bit more CPU to play tthe 1080p blu-ray rips that I have copied over.

We still need to work on our blu-ray ripping support, but this is a problem endemic to Linux, and not necessarily a problem with LinuxMCE.

-Thom