Author Topic: Sorry  (Read 8341 times)

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Sorry
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:54:52 pm »
Guys

I am a big linux fan, i always work under linux and play under windows

But this time i am sorry to say that mediacenter Vista has better features then Lmce.

First the screen crack does not appear when you watch DVDs, online channel work, plugging in a usb stick with photos work!
Music you can even buy online, you can copy with your writer, support for many many hardware cards

Never thought i would say this but these are my thoughts

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Sorry
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 01:03:00 pm »
Guys

I am a big linux fan, i always work under linux and play under windows

But this time i am sorry to say that mediacenter Vista has better features then Lmce.

First the screen crack does not appear when you watch DVDs, online channel work, plugging in a usb stick with photos work!
Music you can even buy online, you can copy with your writer, support for many many hardware cards

Never thought i would say this but these are my thoughts

Hmmm... what is the point of starting this thread? If you feel that way then just go of and do your thing  with Vista :-)

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 04:38:07 pm »
You do realise this whole platform is a massive research platform with feature scope that goes _way_ beyond Windows Media Center Edition?

We're working on differentiating features, while trying to get virtually every single feature from our 5 subsystems working correctly. This takes time, especially when you have several million lines of your OWN code to wade through.

We're sorry you're going, but really, this whole thread was pointless, and shows you simply have not been paying attention to what has been happening here.

-Thom

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 05:25:50 pm »
LOL, I know I'm not supposed to be responding in this manner, but seriously, I HAVE to and I hope the mods are cool with it.

Windows Lighting Control:  FAIL
Windows Video Surveillance:  FAIL
Windows Telcom:  FAIL
Windows Alarm/Motion Detection: FAIL

Dude, when someone rings my doorbell, whatever media I have playing pauses and a wireless camera above my door displays the video of the person on every TV in my house. 
When I go to bed, I select "Sleep" on any orbiter in my house (or in my yard for that matter using my wireless webpad), all the TV's/AV equipment in my house shuts off, every light in my house shuts off except my porch lights and one hallway light.  Although I don't have it setup yet, in the future my house will call me and display video of the person ringing my doorbell on my phone and I will be able to talk to them through a speaker at my door from my cell phone.  Did you get that?  My HOUSE will CALL me!!!

Comparing LMCE to WindowsMCE is like comparing the Internet to a telegraph, they are two different animals.  The list of things that LMCE can do that WMCE cannot goes on and on.

If all you want is media control then there are a lot of options out there, one being WindowsMCE.  If you want centralized, customizable, scalable, complete home automation/control AND media control, there is only ONE option, LMCE.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:26:37 pm »
I think his point was to express what exactly made him decide to go with VistaMCE over LinuxMCE. I understand that LinuxMCE is not a commercial product but rather a community project; but like any product we should want to hear why people chose something else over LinuxMCE. We shouldn't get our panties in a bunch. Is VistaMCE better than LinuxMCE? HELL NO, nothing is. But there are things LinuxMCE could improve on to make it more acceptable to the Vista Robots... I mean users.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:54:59 pm »
I did initially suspect that the comments were trolling, however I'm going to leave this thread as they fairly reflects someone's opinion of LMCE vs VistaMCE, and we are not in the business of supressing opinion. However, if the thread fires up into a "holy war" of platform X vs platform Y, without any useful comment that is of assistance to LMCE users then I will lock the thread and dispatch all posts after the point they become unhelpful.

Powerbits - you have made your point, I suggest that unless there is new information to add, that we leave it at that.

Others - I think you have made robust rebuttals to this comment, that put the LMCE position, I don't think much more need be added. Thom put the strategy position and Dale_K gave a working example... all's good!

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 05:43:10 am »
My point is, although i realy realy want lmce to work, please realise this:

-Home automation:  I dont use it yet
-Simple DVD player, mp3 player, TV sat player , tv recorder, photos etc.. => I used it and i am guessing many people do

Good point: Stable, FREE ,copy, possible home automation function

Bad point: When playing movie: A screen crack appears in fast moving pictures (i have a 2.5GHZ dual core), very limited support towards satelite cards, does not know wat it should do when i connect a USB stick with pics, language support is limited, no blu ray support, etc

But dont worry i wont remove my lmce software , i will probably do a dual boot.

I realy appreciate the hard work , and i know its imporoving, until then i stay standbye

Who knows , after a month maybe i am back with lcme :)

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:21:44 am »
Moderators just remove my topic if you want, all i wanted to do was express my opinion :)

merkur2k

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:24:00 am »
It is important to understand as well that some of the points you bring up are completely out of the control of LMCE as the blame lies with proprietary hardware and software vendors. This is the case for BluRay at least, and probably the satellite cards you speak of (since you didnt specify).
Microsoft has the power in the industry to bend these vendors to their will, which can also include ensuring that they play as difficult as possible with non-microsoft platforms.
To address one of your specific problems: the screen tearing. Simply switch from alpha blended to overlay and it will go away. Yeah you wont have transparent menus, but video will be flawless. The reason for this problem isnt a cpu horsepower one, but that of timing. Theres several threads here where people are looking into why it happens, but it also appears to be something with the way Linux itself or the (vendor supplied) graphics drivers do things.

Emiku

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 11:08:10 am »
Powerbits, if you want that screen crack removed try disabling UI2 alphablend and go with UI2 overlay!

- Emiku
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:21:08 am by Emiku »

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 12:32:06 pm »
I did that guys, yes the overlay looks not good, but i could live with that.

Unforrtenately the tearing still happens. Strange

Does Nvidia not have any good drivers, because they give support until the latest cards..

Ok Blu ray , i know its a commercial thing and i find DVD to be very good also.

Hardware support, i am a linux user so i know i have to choose the correct stuf.

But simple features like plugging in your sd cards from your camera , copying it to your mce and directly viewing a slideshow should realy be no hassle..
Copying a DVD without having to go in the kubuntu GUI, just with the remote control

These little features may seem small compared to the automatisation interface or voip interface, but its something probably mostly used by the novice user

Maybe the lmce guys should take these features more in account and just change that

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 01:32:03 pm »

Does Nvidia not have any good drivers, because they give support until the latest cards..

Hardware support, i am a linux user so i know i have to choose the correct stuf.

But simple features like plugging in your sd cards from your camera , copying it to your mce and directly viewing a slideshow should realy be no hassle..
Copying a DVD without having to go in the kubuntu GUI, just with the remote control

These little features may seem small compared to the automatisation interface or voip interface, but its something probably mostly used by the novice user

Maybe the lmce guys should take these features more in account and just change that

Here goes... my one and only additional post into this thread;

- We only use UI2 + Overlay on our Dianemo Sytem installs (apart from Touch screens where we use UI1) and we never see any tearing at all on nVidia, ATI or Intel Core's or MD's. So there is something wrong with your hardware or config I'm afraid.

- I agree that managing content from SD/MemStick etc cards and displaying it in slide show format is a missing feature.

- Copying DVD's/CD's can be carried out complete from the Orbiter. Some DVD's (probably significantly less than 5% of discs we have tested) fail to copy due to copy protection. Thats not LinuxMCE's fault at all...in these cases we copy them on a Windows machine.

So looking back over the above... it seems like the only real area you have a valid point about is the management/display of content from memory cards. I agree this are needs more development and if that is so important to you then right now LinuxMCE cant really offer a solution for you.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 01:51:42 pm »

Hi powerbits,

You're not giving us much info about your setup. ie... what series of Nvidia vga card you're running, have you installed the latest drivers etc...
I am running a quad core with and Nvidia 9xxxxx series with the latest drivers. UI 1 with no tearing. Just the occasional flicker, which I can live
with. Copying DVDs can be carried out from any Orbiter without accessing KDE. As far as the USB/picture import is concerned, you could easily
keep a windows machine around, whether it be a stand alone windows box or a virtualized instance the choice is yours. However Linux MCE is more than meets the eye.

John.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:53:37 pm by lmce3000 »
* Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day
*Teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 02:42:41 pm »
Surely there is a problem on the tearing? This forum is full of users who had problems
My config:

Asrock Kn6fg
4880E 45W Dual COre AMD
Nvidia 7600 256MB Silent HDTV
2GB RAM PC6400
500GB SATA HDD
DVDRW LG
Hauppage PVR150
S1500 technotrend DVB-S card
Remote control with standard mediacenter remote

Che

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 03:39:38 pm »
as others say, it depends what you want it for.

I only want a media center, so I will be using WinMCE until I get around to getting home automation and stuff, when I will switch to LMCE, which I am definitely keeping an eye on, and will probably get when I move to Uni anyway.

You have to remember as well, that this was made by amateurs, who have other jobs. What they have made, is nothing short of amazing. IT CAN CONTROL YOUR HOUSE. IT CAN RING YOU WHEN YOUR HOUSE IS BEING BURGLED AND LET YOU TALK TO THE BURGLAR.
That my friend, is OMGWTFBBQ-amazing. Seriously.