Author Topic: Sorry  (Read 8339 times)

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 04:54:03 pm »
Im gonna go ahead and make a correction here... Im sure this is what he meant anyway

You have to remember as well, that this project is open source and therefore is supported by developers who are not getting paid, who have other jobs. What they have made, is nothing short of amazing. IT CAN CONTROL YOUR HOUSE. IT CAN RING YOU WHEN YOUR HOUSE IS BEING BURGLED AND LET YOU TALK TO THE BURGLAR.
That my friend, is OMGWTFBBQ-amazing. Seriously.

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 03:39:42 pm »
My hat of for linuxmce and linux programmers. I support linux 1000% , but as you say it depends wat you want it for.
I hope the little things get solved asap and you will find me using it again asap

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 07:39:11 am »
Apart from totallymaxed last post, which I 100% support let me add one small little tid bit of information.

Whenever someone comes into IRC and asks about how LinuxMCE does various things, and why it is not doing stuff in a specific way, I ask the person, if all they want is a media center.  In my humble opinion, if all you want is a media center, there are systems and projects out there, that are more forgiving in the choice of hardware and might give you more of what you are looking for. And I am not thinking about commercial options, but lots of other free software out there. Heck, if you are in DVB-x land, you might be happy with VDR alone, as it plays DVDs, has support for USB sticks (iirc), and does TV.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2009, 08:45:26 am »
I have yet to get my system installed, so speak from a purely research perspective, but I'm going LMCE even though I just want a media centre. I have looked at the alternatives and think the possible (probable) pain is worth it if only half the things people say about LMCE are true!

Posde, the reason I'm not going VDR is that I have a house, not a room. I want the networked facilities and the whole centralised storeage of media (and "follow me" etc.) From what I can see, VDR alone won't give me this. MythTV possibly would, but I'm in the UK and will be using DVB and from what I've read, Myth isn't as hot in that environment! Besides, I like the expansion possibilities. Maybe I should re-word the opening line "even though I just want a media centre at the moment"!

I support what the community is doing here 100% and will do whatever I can to help out. But one step at a time  ;)

I do have one question for the OP, though. If the copying of media from removable storeage to the library is so important to you, why not code it up yourself? You say you're a Linux person and, unless I've seriously misjudged the whole FOSS philosophy, that's the idea :D I agree this would be a valuable addition to the feature-set and would offer to dive in and code it myself, but I currently lack the expertise - maybe one day...
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65