Author Topic: Bug: Swap Interfaces button missing.  (Read 4695 times)

unsolicited

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Bug: Swap Interfaces button missing.
« on: April 12, 2009, 12:52:57 am »
Searched forums for 'swap' for no hits.

Referenced http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Single_to_Double_NIC.

Loading 7.10 CDs on a laptop. Internal NIC to be internal network (MUST BE - disconnected gateway, house still works. Other way around ... not.)

On a different disk, used DVDs - problem below didn't occur.

USB NIC to be external.

Internal NIC came in as eth1, usb eth2.

With CDs loaded, no swap interface button on admin web page.

Following link above failed, until I noticed a missed step (the first one) -

Web Admin: Show devices tree/My Devices/CORE > Device data/Network Interfaces

* Change: eth0,dhcp|eth0:0,192.168.80.1,255.255.255.0 to: eth0,dhcp|eth1,192.168.80.1,255.255.255.0

Until I changed the above entries the swap interfaces button was not present. (But was on DVD.)

Once I changed the entry, my network came back. So did the swap interface button, but then I no longer needed it.

Thought I should post a note.

If there is a condition on when the swap interfaces button should be presented, the condition should be removed.
c. 2009 - ALL rights reserved. No duplication, in whole or in part, permitted.

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Bug: Swap Interfaces button missing.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 11:40:03 am »
thanks for the report - please make a trac ticket on svn.linuxmce.org to make sure it isn't missed

unsolicited

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:13:56 pm »
thanks for the report - please make a trac ticket on svn.linuxmce.org to make sure it isn't missed

Thanks for letting me know (how). Done.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 06:25:33 am »
I'm assuming this is your ticket - http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/169 - in the future, put a name or e-mail so someone can get back in touch with you.

Can you test out that patch and see how it does? comment in the ticket with your results.

unsolicited

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 07:34:33 am »
I'm assuming this is your ticket - http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/169 - in the future, put a name or e-mail so someone can get back in touch with you.

Yes, my ticket. As the ticket says, by the time the button showed up, I no longer needed it. Didn't seem to be any point to anyone getting back to me.

Can you test out that patch and see how it does?

Can't, sorry, that machine has been re-commissioned for other purposes. If I run into this again, I can get back to it. [It's not like I _wanted_ the silly things to come in as anything other than eth0 and eth1!  hmm.]

But - this was on 7.10. Reading the ticket, the patch is for 8.10.

Could you kindly point me to a couple of lmce links:
- the process of applying such patches to 7.10 - if that even makes sense (?).
- a 'start here first' link for sinking into contributing to lmce. Note: I wouldn't expect to be contributing code any time soon. Documentation / help / wiki, more likely, at least initially. I assume a particular 'build environment' is de rigeur.

I'm still trying to sink in to lmce, so I'm hesitant to get in to 'nightly build' / beta software - while in this learning curve I'm able to create enough self-inflicted aggravation as it is. Given the learning curve, it would be hard to distinguish between 'broken' and self-inflicted. [If docs = expected, and unexpected occurring, hard to tell difference between broken and self-inflicted stupidity.]

Is this hesitation 'reasonable caution'? (In the groups opinion?)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:33:41 pm »
Searched forums for 'swap' for no hits.

Strange, I can find over 300 messages when searching this forum for "swap".

Following link above failed, until I noticed a missed step (the first one) -

Instructions usually work better if you actually follow them.

Web Admin: Show devices tree/My Devices/CORE > Device data/Network Interfaces

* Change: eth0,dhcp|eth0:0,192.168.80.1,255.255.255.0 to: eth0,dhcp|eth1,192.168.80.1,255.255.255.0

Until I changed the above entries the swap interfaces button was not present. (But was on DVD.)

The system expects to see an eth0 and an eth1 unless you change that line you mentioned.  Now if you muck about with adding new network cards then Kubuntu registers them as eth2, eth3 and so on, this is normal and intended behavior which can be changed in the /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file (as mentioned on this forum and in the wiki).  And when you then remove eth0 (apparently) lmce will only see one NIC present and then there is nothing to swap now is there?

If there is a condition on when the swap interfaces button should be presented, the condition should be removed.

In conclusion: this is not a bug and there is no need to remove or change anything.  Can we please stop "fixing" things that aren't broken?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 05:21:45 pm »
I am thinking of a way to determine if network cards have changed, which ones, and if so, deleting the appropriate entries in 70-persistent-net-rules ....

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »
*hmm*

*shake-head*

*walks away*

And more of all that goodness :P
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous