Author Topic: wiimote on 810 alpha2  (Read 16754 times)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: wiimote on 810 alpha2
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 11:25:20 pm »
You could try putting two candles on your TV about 20 cm (8") apart until you have a proper sensor-bar.

Zaerc or I can just read the wiki properly.........  ;D

Purps u should try this it worked for me. This is from the Wiki at the bottom......
Code: [Select]
An additional change that I need to make was in /usr/sbin/wminputd. Had the change the line wminput -c ir_ptr
 $WIIMOTE_BDADDR & to wminput $WIIMOTE_BDADDR &. Otherwise I could not move the cursor, but the buttons works.

Hope it helps. It sure did for me. I dont need to get an exspensive remote now.  8)  Or two candles ontop of my TV....  ::)

Thanks for reminding me again not to bother with "people" like you.  ::)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 10:20:40 am »

Purps u should try this it worked for me. This is from the Wiki at the bottom......
Code: [Select]
An additional change that I need to make was in /usr/sbin/wminputd. Had the change the line wminput -c ir_ptr
 $WIIMOTE_BDADDR & to wminput $WIIMOTE_BDADDR &. Otherwise I could not move the cursor, but the buttons works.

Hope it helps. It sure did for me. I dont need to get an exspensive remote now.  8)  Or two candles ontop of my TV....  ::)

Are you saying that this allows you to use the wiimote properly without the need for a sensor bar? Or was this to fix a different problem?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 07:19:12 pm »
Purps,

I use the Wiimote to its full potential without the sensor-bar, but with a usb bluetooth dongle.

Zaerc, no disrespect.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 12:34:30 pm »
Karel,

I had a go at all of this last night, but unfortunately it didn't work for me :(

I followed the wiki exactly, and everything seemed to be fine, except for the final stage where the wiimote is supposed to work! The cursor just didn't move. I've been through it all again and checked my spelling etc, and it's fine. I will say that I used "nano" instead of "vi", but surely that doesn't make a difference?

I tried it with my Wii on (in order to supply some juice to the sensor bar) and with my Wii off, but to no avail. What should the 4 little blue lights on the remote be doing? I tried pressing 1+2 and the red sync button on the back, which makes them flash, but it never "locks on" to anything (unless I have the Wii switched on, in which case I assume it's connecting with the Wii).

Sorry for the vague description guys, but that's all I have. Any tips on diagnosing the problem would be appreciated.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 02:49:31 pm »
Purps,

You using a bluetooth dongle? Can you navigate through the menu's with the directional keys on the Wiimote?

My Wiimote has the motionplus adapter, I had to remove it.
When i start the wminputd script i then only pressed 1+2 on the Wiimote. The 4 blue lights flashed then stopped. after that it was working.

You do have the wiimote's mac address in /etc/wminputd.conf?

Karel.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 02:58:04 pm »
Yep, using a bluetooth dongle. As far as I can tell it's as dead as a can of spam, no response from any of the buttons, no cursor movement, nothing. I was able to obtain the MAC address, so it must be communicating with the dongle on some level at least.

I don't have motion+ attached, or the nunchuk.

After the blue lights have finished flashing, does the first one remain on once connected, or are all of the blue lights meant to turn off?

Yes, the wiimote's MAC address is in /etc/wminputd.conf

I have just noticed that there is some troubleshooting information at the bottom of the wiimote wiki page that describes a problem similar to mine, I will give that a go first. I also have another bluetooth dongle that I might try failing that. Will keep you posted, thanks for your suggestions.

DragonK

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 07:16:10 pm »
Purps,

JUst got home.

Tested my Wiimote. After connected all lights go dead.

Maybe we should move this discussion to the users or installation issues section for other users to benefit from it to?

Karel
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:21:14 pm by DragonK »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 07:40:01 pm »
Wow, Here's a thought...
Why don't you guys take a look at the Wiimote device template, and ..gee.. I dunno.. TRY TO MAKE IT WORK AUTOMATICALLY?! Dear god, I spent months making the plumbing for it, and it pisses me off that you guys just duct tape over it out of sheer ignorance!

I can't work on everything at once.

-Thom

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 10:43:54 am »
Purps,

JUst got home.

Tested my Wiimote. After connected all lights go dead.

Maybe we should move this discussion to the users or installation issues section for other users to benefit from it to?

Karel

OK that's cool, at least I know not to wait for blue "connected" lights to come on now! Thanks for letting me know.

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 10:57:17 am »
Wow, Here's a thought...
Why don't you guys take a look at the Wiimote device template, and ..gee.. I dunno.. TRY TO MAKE IT WORK AUTOMATICALLY?! Dear god, I spent months making the plumbing for it, and it pisses me off that you guys just duct tape over it out of sheer ignorance!

I can't work on everything at once.

-Thom

Firstly, I have to politely ask that you drop the attitude please.

Are you telling us that there IS a device template already (I couldn't see one in the orbiters page), or are you telling us to MAKE a device template for the wiimote from scratch? If it's the latter, then could you please point me in the direction of a some instructions/tutorials/wiki as to how to achieve this?

In any event, is the first step not to try and get it working, and then take it from there once you know what's going on?

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 11:02:34 am »
tschak needs some days off :-)
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 04:06:26 pm »
It's not on the Orbiter's page, because it's not an Orbiter.

The Device Template # is 1954.. it's the one called Wii Remote. Which you can find if you go to advanced > configuration > device templates, and type in Wii in the device template drop down.

As you can see, a complete device template, with a package to install when detected. If you drill down into it, you'll see the package is called lmce-wiimote-support ...

If you dig into that package, you'll notice there is a postinst script that gets run as part of the package installation that does all the work.

There is EVEN a part in the device template to select whether you want to use the IR or Accelerometer as your pointing device.

As I said. Been there. Done the work, something broke, and it would be nice if those interested could track down the issue and fix it.

-Thom

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 05:11:50 pm »
OK cheers, I'll have a look.

So am I right in saying that I need to get this working first, before I can even attempt at looking at the template for it? Or should I be looking at the template straight away?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 05:15:01 pm »
looking at the template. the template is doing all the stuff you're doing manually, do you not get that?

-Thom

purps

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 06:00:20 pm »
Yes I do, I was only asking in order to make life a little bit more unbearable for everybody :) No really, I didn't know, hence I asked the question. Please show me where this kind of information is documented and I will read up on it.

Anyway thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I shall have a look at it tomorrow and see how I get on.