Author Topic: Getting started on Zwave  (Read 9085 times)

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Getting started on Zwave
« on: April 10, 2009, 06:04:32 pm »
Hi guys
First of all I do have an installation of LinuxMCE 7.10 and have only used the media part of it. I do want to start with Zwave and following a post I have seen earlier today I went to a link with what I think is good pricing.
I added some things to my cart but before ordering I wanted to make sure of what it needed to get started. I have looked in the Wiki but I honestly could not find the answer... I probably overlooked it.
Here is what I was thinking of ordering as I just want to get my TV room setup for right now:

4-Intermatic HA01C - Z-Wave In-Wall Receptacle
2-Intermatic HA20C - Z-Wave 600W 3-Way/Single-Pole Dimmer - Toggle Style
1-Intermatic HA23C - Z-Wave USB Stick/Software

I think I have red somewhere that for the initial install I would also need a controller to program everything but I can't fins that post and I can't remember if that was just for x-10 or if it applies to zwave as well.
Also, one of the lamps in the room has a fan as well so I didn't know if this would work... all I really want is to dimm, and turn off/on the lights (there is only one light switch for this lamp... no 3 way).

I live in the US by the way

The website I was checking out is www.asihome.com

I appreciate any input.... Thanks guys

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Getting started on Zwave
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:56:50 pm »
I 2nd this. I was not able to find similair information, only whats compatable. If we get the needed info in this thread we can throw up a wiki so us z-wave newbies know what to buy for what.

to hammer out some questions for the future wiki if someone would volunteer the time to answer:

1. Replacing a Single 2-way (up\down or on\off) light swtich that controls a light fixture only. Choices and benifits of a perticular choice over another?
--Intermatic HA06C - 300W I assume this is fine for this purpose like a single 60w bulb or 3 of them in 1 fixture.
--Is there a need to use a more powerful switch like 600w? Why? Assuming for future fixture upgrade choices?

2. Replacing a Single 2-way (up\down or on\off) switch that currently controls a standard ceiling fan (has 2 pull strings for the light and fan respectively)
--Not sure if there is an option for this at all other then replacing the fan with one that requires seperate light and fan switches? if anyone could clarify

3. Replacing a Single 2-way (up\down or on\off) switch that currently controls a wall receptacle.
--Best to get a on\off switch without DIM functions or can DIM be disabled or not used?
--Other options for this type of situation

4. Replacing Wall receptacles
--I cant think of anything specific to ask on these, so anything current users want to add?

5. Controller choice
--TrickleStar 300ZW-US-W - USB Adapter[/url=] From the Wiki, this looks to be the prefered choice, correct?

jhammond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 10:29:54 pm »
1. Replacing a Single 2-way (up\down or on\off) light swtich that controls a light fixture only. Choices and benifits of a perticular choice over another?
--Intermatic HA06C - 300W I assume this is fine for this purpose like a single 60w bulb or 3 of them in 1 fixture.

2. Replacing a Single 2-way (up\down or on\off) switch that currently controls a standard ceiling fan (has 2 pull strings for the light and fan respectively)
--Not sure if there is an option for this at all other then replacing the fan with one that requires seperate light and fan switches? if anyone could clarify

3. Replacing a Single 2-way (up\down or on\off) switch that currently controls a wall receptacle.
--Best to get a on\off switch without DIM functions or can DIM be disabled or not used?
--Other options for this type of situation

4. Replacing Wall receptacles
--I cant think of anything specific to ask on these, so anything current users want to add?

1.) If the light/fixture supports dimming, I'd recommend the HA06C which is on backorder, but only $15 at homeseer right now. You can generally go with the lower rated (300w) switches, unless you've got a heavy load on it. For example, I used one of the HA06C switches in a room with 4 lights on the line just fine, but it wouldn't work in a room with 8 can lights (too high of a power draw for the switch).

2.) For fans/flourescent lights, I think you have to use a "relay" switch as opposed to a dimmer: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Relay-Wall-Switches-C63.aspx You'd still have to split the controls into both a fan and a light switch, but you could at least control each individually.

3. & 4.) You can either replace the receptacle switch with one of the above relay switches, or the receptacle itself with one of these: http://store.homeseer.com/store/Receptacles-C126.aspx I'd recommend the HA01C

5.) I went with the HA07C remote and HA-22 usb stick when I bought my stuff and they both work just fine with LMCE (other than something I'm trying to track down in 0810, but I don't think it's z-wave related). Someone else could probably tell you for sure, but I think the micasaverde stick (http://shop.micasaverde.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110&products_id=151) works as well. With the micasaverde stick, you don't have to put all of the devices into a remote, then transfer the info to the usb stick, it's all done in one step.

For compatibility, you can look at the micasaverde shop (their system is built off of linuxmce), but the Homeseer store seems to have better prices for somethings: http://store.homeseer.com/store/index.aspx

Hope this helps.

jhammond

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 10:35:41 pm »
For compatibility, you can look at the micasaverde shop (their system is built off of linuxmce),...
MCV _does not_ use our Z-Wave stack. They have their own one (and it is one of the best on the market).

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 12:36:49 am »
For compatibility, you can look at the micasaverde shop (their system is built off of linuxmce),...
MCV _does not_ use our Z-Wave stack. They have their own one (and it is one of the best on the market).

br, Hari

Just to clarify for the Wiki, it is mentioned that MCV stick does not need a master controller, so essentially for a newbie doing an install, all he would need is the MCV stick and 1+ Z-Wave devices?

If using the Tricklestar, do you need an additional master remote or can it function just like the MCV stick? Is this also true for the Seluxit viaSENS Homecontroller?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:41:49 am by Pnuts »

Raul102801

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:22:16 am »
Ok, guys I appreciate all the replies. I went ahead and ordered the MCV dongle for $65. It was about $20 more than the Intermatic HA23C but since te HA23C requires a master controller which is around $20 for a cheap one, the expense is more or less the same. I also bought a mtin sensor to get me started. I will bould from there with some in wall outlets.
I am pretty excited about finally getting started with other features of the system other than media which is all I have used until know.
I will report back on my experience.

Thanks again

Craptastic

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:27:23 am »
I have not yet started using Z-wave devices but will over the next few months so I don't know a lot of specifics but can add the following.

Z-wave devices generally work better based on the more you have as each one is both a receiver and transmitter (a repeater to more precise). This allows signals that are not strong enough to reach through your entire house to simply hop from device to device until the one the signal is for is found. This is done on a Mesh Network. There are plug-in nodes available that will can help bridge two parts of your house if there are no actual devices or an insufficient number of devices.

As for ceiling fans, you can use dimmer type technology but you want to be looking for a fan control. Fan controls are built to reduce/eliminate the humming noise from the motor that you get with standard types of dimmers. If you only have "one wire" going from your switch to your ceiling fan and use the pull chains for the fan, you would need to try and find a device designed for that, or pull another wire. Most ceiling fans can be wired for a switch on the fan but a lot of homes are only run with 14/2 and not 14/3 so the pull chain is used.

Unless there is a special purpose Z-wave alternative, you basically want two switches on your wall. One for light and one for fan. One dimmer and one a fan control.

Craptastic
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 04:37:02 am by Craptastic »

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 08:05:51 am »
Wiki started here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Z-Wave_Getting_Started

I filled in some info based off of replies in this thread. Ill fill in more tomorrow.

Also ordered the MCV usb stick, a wall dimmer and 2x 3-way/single pole Switches.

Next weekend is going to be fun   ;)

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 06:37:26 pm »
So i have most of the info filled in for the http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Z-Wave_Getting_Started page.

I still have door locks and heating\cooling left to be filled in. If anyone has experiance, please feel free to jump in and stick the info in there. I havent looked into either yet and was not planning on doing so for a while, or until wife approves more buying of this kind of stuff.

also, if any Z-Wave experts are around, make sure I did not provide any incorrect info please. Im still waiting on my Z-Wave order to arrive so my experiance is limited at best.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:38:57 pm by Pnuts »

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:46:58 pm »
Big thanks for this thread and the wiki.  I never really understood the whole master controller/usb interface thing.  Actually, I still don't fully, but at least I now know that with some USB interfaces I still need a master controller and I don't with others. 

Actually, as a suggestion perhaps someone should update the individual usb interface device wiki entries with a small note that says whether or not a separate master controller is required.

If I understand all this correctly, the MCV usb interface is all that is required to let LMCE control Z-wave devices such as dimmer switches and such?  Does this work with a z-wave remote as well?

I still don't really know what specific features, if any, are needed or recommended on the various devices.  Looking at just the dimmer switch options on the homeseer webpage they have everything from under $20 to over $300 (over $400 msrp). 

rs_shadow0000

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 06:36:59 pm »
As for beam fans, you can use dimmer blazon technology but you wish to be searching for a fan control. Fan controls are congenital to reduce/eliminate the bustling babble from the motor that you get with accepted types of dimmers. If you alone accept "one wire" traveling from your about-face to your beam fan and use the cull chains for the fan, you would charge to try and acquisition a accessory advised for that, or cull addition wire. Most beam admirers can be active for a about-face on the fan but a lot of homes are alone run with 14/2 and not 14/3 so the cull alternation is used, Fanimation!!!