Author Topic: Setup of Wii Remote  (Read 10523 times)

cleardata

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Setup of Wii Remote
« on: April 10, 2009, 05:33:53 am »
I have followed the directions on the Wiki for setting up the wii remote.  http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Nintendo_WiiMote

However, I'm having some problems.  when the system boots up, I press the 1 and 2 buttons at the same time and it detects a mobile phone.  How should I configure this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 06:04:12 pm by cleardata »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Setup of Wii Remote
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 07:22:37 am »
Tell it to ignore the device.

We need to do a lot of work with bluetooth dongle to allow devices other than cell phones to be recognized by the system properly.

-Thom

cleardata

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 02:32:27 pm »
Ok, when I choose "No, Not at this time" the remote still doesn't work. 

What could I be missing?  when I do the steps on the Wiki it behaves correctly I.E. I can get the Mac address of the Wii controller etc...

cleardata

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:43:37 pm »
I was able to resolve it.  As much as you think to type in everything that is on your screen there are some things that are supposed to be edited.  :) 

Modified /etc/wminputd.conf

from
Code: [Select]
#this is the config file for the wminputd
#enter the wiimote mac address, you can find it with
#hcitool scan  and then press the red button
#besides the battery's off the wiimote
#Then place the show'n mac address as follows
WIIMOTE_BDADDR="00:AA:00:BB:AA:FF"

to
Code: [Select]
#this is the config file for the wminputd
#enter the wiimote mac address, you can find it with
#hcitool scan  and then press the red button
#besides the battery's off the wiimote
#Then place the show'n mac address as follows
WIIMOTE_BDADDR="<MY MAC ADDRESS FOR THE WII CONTROLER>"

rebooted, problem solved.  One question though.  It is behaving as a mouse, But when you are looking through your videos, with a mouse you can go to the top of the screen and it will page it up.  Same with the bottom of the screen.  For the Wii Controller, it just stops and nothing happens.  Anyone ran across this?

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 10:36:04 pm »

cleardata

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 11:58:09 pm »
Sorry, no, When you are on the orbiter screen and you select Media then Videos it comes up with a list of all your videos.  on the right hand side you have the Alphabetical list as well as the first screen of videos to choose from.  So if you take your mouse and drag it over that list, up or down it will provide you up arrows or down arrows and flip the screen to the next 10 or so videos.  I'm unable to do this with the WiiMote.  The cursor will travel to the top of the screen or the bottom but not provide the flipping of the pages.  Only way to get to more videos is to do a search.

Hope that explains better...  the 1/4 of the screen thing is not the problem, although I have already implemented what he suggested because I am using a sensor bar as well.

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 01:34:01 am »
Hi,

I've even had problems with that using the mouse.  What I normally had to do was kind of make a run at it.

Swing up, then back down to the bottom right or top left.  Sometimes I took a couple of attempts.

Sometimes I'd have 2 or 3 arrows and the pages would flip past where I wanted.

It took a while to develop the right touch.

Good luck.

cleardata

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 03:18:48 am »
I agree, even with the mouse it is hard to do.  But I thought it might be easier with something that was Gyro based.

piusvelte

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:50:57 am »
Glad to see it's working. I've not tried scrolling, but instead select the letters on the right to get to different movies. I'm still working out audio issues, so I've not really gotten to see how usable the wiimote is day to day yet.

cleardata

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 08:45:51 am »
I'm having issues with the Alpha list on the right.  when I click a letter on the right it just takes me to the top of the list.  Anyone heard of that?  I was able to get it to scroll page by page, but it just doesn't work that well.  Searching is much easier.

Che

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 05:16:44 pm »
would GlovePIE work? I don't know if it works on kubuntu, but if it does, then it should solve all problems. Plus it's got really nifty actions, so you could set it up, so thatr a jerk to the right would skip forward, a jerk to the left would skip back, and so much more.

cleardata

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 05:24:27 pm »
I'll check that out.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 06:02:48 pm »
I'm having issues with the Alpha list on the right.  when I click a letter on the right it just takes me to the top of the list.  Anyone heard of that?

Yes. It happens, if your list of displayed titles contains non-printable characters. It happened to me, when I imported a bunch of MP3 with tags. Some titles where spanish or french, and there were problems with umlauts as well. After fixiing those using the web admin, things went smooth.

mactalla

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 06:30:46 pm »
I'm having issues with the Alpha list on the right.  when I click a letter on the right it just takes me to the top of the list.  Anyone heard of that?

Yes. It happens, if your list of displayed titles contains non-printable characters. It happened to me, when I imported a bunch of MP3 with tags. Some titles where spanish or french, and there were problems with umlauts as well. After fixiing those using the web admin, things went smooth.

I'm seeing the same thing.  Thanks for explaining the cause.  I won't bother with it, then.  (probably at least half my music has non-ASCII characters)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 07:01:03 pm »
I'm seeing the same thing.  Thanks for explaining the cause.  I won't bother with it, then.  (probably at least half my music has non-ASCII characters)

It is not about non-ASCII characters. It is about tags in the MP3s with a wrong character sets. I have now cleaned up my stuff, and do see all my music, including those with german Umlauts, french accents (or how ever they are called).