Author Topic: TV Tuner Question  (Read 2712 times)

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
TV Tuner Question
« on: April 09, 2009, 03:32:49 am »
I actually don't even own a TV ;) but am setting up a system and have a few questions. Being in Canada, from what I understand Cable from Shaw must be decoded by their Motorola box if you want to watch HBO in HD for example. That makes it necessary to hook a TV up directly to it (as well as one of the TV's inputs to a media director). If I wanted to watch regular TV, I could stream the signals by hooking the cable up directly to a tuner in the core?

So I am reading about this HDHomerun, aside from streaming the video over the wire, does this add any viewing capabilities to the system as far as what can be watched/tuned from where? I'm a little unclear on "what" can be streamed and how? If it hooks up to incoming cable, I still cant decode any HD that is not OTA, right?

Bottom line I guess, until an HD capture card gets support, streaming anything from the Shaw box in very high quality isn't an option, correct?

Thanks!

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: TV Tuner Question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 03:50:28 am »
Computer tuners can only tune unencrypted tv signals.  All analog signals are recordable, but yes, only OTA digtal can be tuned at the moment.  This is a problem for windows as well.  However, there are means of controlling settop boxes via infrared.