Author Topic: New Bee Here.. want to setup LMCE..  (Read 11360 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: New Bee Here.. want to setup LinuxMCE..
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 03:32:00 am »
thanks for the suggestion.. that will save some money for the second NIC card.. i already have another wireless router somewhere in the attic.. so i can use that for separate LinuxMCE network..

I don't follow that at all?

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 10:09:28 am »
thanks for the suggestion.. that will save some money for the second NIC card.. i already have another wireless router somewhere in the attic.. so i can use that for separate LinuxMCE network..

Sorry I meant, buying only 2GB ram will save me money so that i can buy an additional NIC card which was not originally in my plan.. but decided later..

btw.. anybody using Zyxel's new Homeplug AV200 and G+ Router for their network?

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 11:55:58 am »

Seperate LMCE network? I would invest in a decent switch to connect everything together, and use your spare wireless router as a wireless access point (also plugged into the switch).
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12:49 pm »

Seperate LinuxMCE network? I would invest in a decent switch to connect everything together, and use your spare wireless router as a wireless access point (also plugged into the switch).

I would do that too if i have an option.. but i have to use the ISP's(SKY-UK) router to get the broadband.. dont have another option to change that ADSL Router.. so will have to use another router or switch create a LMCE network.. also some time i connect to office from home, and i dont want my office laptop to connect to my LMCE network.. so in that case i can directly use the ISPs router.. and for the LMCE network, I have ordered ZyXel's Wired, wireless and Homeplug router.. so my LMCE devices can use whatever as per their requirement..

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 01:04:04 pm »
I would do that too if i have an option.. but i have to use the ISP's(SKY-UK) router to get the broadband.. dont have another option to change that ADSL Router.. so will have to use another router or switch create a LinuxMCE network.. also some time i connect to office from home, and i dont want my office laptop to connect to my LinuxMCE network.. so in that case i can directly use the ISPs router.. and for the LinuxMCE network, I have ordered ZyXel's Wired, wireless and Homeplug router.. so my LinuxMCE devices can use whatever as per their requirement..

Rednus, seems to me that You havent understood LinuxMCE structure and posibilitys. LMCE is a router for Your internal network, so YOu just need a switch to connect all other machines to LMCEs network..
Start with this Wiki articles:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Settings
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/DHCP_Plug_and_Play
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ

If You still have any other questions come here and we will try to help You.

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 01:28:32 pm »
I would do that too if i have an option.. but i have to use the ISP's(SKY-UK) router to get the broadband.. dont have another option to change that ADSL Router.. so will have to use another router or switch create a LinuxMCE network.. also some time i connect to office from home, and i dont want my office laptop to connect to my LinuxMCE network.. so in that case i can directly use the ISPs router.. and for the LinuxMCE network, I have ordered ZyXel's Wired, wireless and Homeplug router.. so my LinuxMCE devices can use whatever as per their requirement..

Rednus, seems to me that You havent understood LinuxMCE structure and posibilitys. LinuxMCE is a router for Your internal network, so YOu just need a switch to connect all other machines to LMCEs network..
Start with this Wiki articles:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Settings
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/DHCP_Plug_and_Play
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/FAQ

If You still have any other questions come here and we will try to help You.

Hi ivanp, think i do understand a bit.. what i did is bought a ZyXel router which can do wireless, wired and powerline.. although zyxel is a router.. i will be disabling DHCP and LMCE core will the DHCP server and gateway.. my existing router will be used for devices that i want outside LMCE network.. I know that i could do with a simple switch.. but i wanted wireless, wired and powerline devices in my LMCE network..

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 03:19:43 pm »
Hi ivanp, think i do understand a bit.. what i did is bought a ZyXel router which can do wireless, wired and powerline.. although zyxel is a router.. i will be disabling DHCP and LinuxMCE core will the DHCP server and gateway.. my existing router will be used for devices that i want outside LinuxMCE network.. I know that i could do with a simple switch.. but i wanted wireless, wired and powerline devices in my LinuxMCE network..

Your way is ok, i think all routers act as switch if You dont plug in anything into WAN port. Although i prefer simple switch in which You can plug in WAP (wireles acess point). Wap can manage ALL of your wireless equipment. If You plan to use Web DT366 as on Orbiter make sure You DONT use WPA protection because Web DT cant handle it. Simple MAC filtering can get You far. All WAPs can act as DHCP client and therefore just serve as "passthrough" and leave DHCP to LMCE.
I dont know much about Powerline technology, but i am sure You will have some sort of inteferenices whith fridges, air conditiong and stuff. Search here for details, i cam across some day on a thread discussing this. I remeber i saw Totallymaxed discussing it.

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 03:56:11 pm »
I dont know much about Powerline technology, but i am sure You will have some sort of inteferenices whith fridges, air conditiong and stuff. Search here for details, i cam across some day on a thread discussing this. I remeber i saw Totallymaxed discussing it.

Hi Thanks for the tip.. I too have read a lot about interference with fridges and washing machines etc.. but i dont want to run CAT5 all over my house.. its three floors, too much of cable and too much of trouble to do DIY.. so i am taking a chance with Powerline.. my house is new built (2007), so guess the power cables are good quality and high items on different phase(hopefully), even if not, my washing machine and dishwasher run only at night (i.e. we switch'em on when we off to sleep).. the only thing that runs always is the fridge.. so need to see whether it causes any trouble..

another thing i wanted to ask is, if i have a MD which has both wired(from powerline) and wireless network cards, can I bridge these two to get most out it.. anybody tried to do this? the switch/router i have is 125mbps G+, and will get about 100 to 200mbps on powerline..
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:59:58 pm by rednus »

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 05:50:05 pm »

Seperate LinuxMCE network? I would invest in a decent switch to connect everything together, and use your spare wireless router as a wireless access point (also plugged into the switch).

I am planning on doing a similair thing. I am leaving a router in place and cascading the network down to the LMCE Core so i have essentially 2 networks. This benifits me in a couple of ways. Wireless internet is available during a core reinstall or if its down for any reason. Also wife doesnt complain about no internet in these cases. Plus im still learning Linux in general while I know the router inside and out for configurations and settings.

at the bottom of my wiki page is what I eventually plan to do, just waiting on some hardware to arrive. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Pnuts

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 08:54:14 pm »
I am planning on doing a similair thing. I am leaving a router in place and cascading the network down to the LinuxMCE Core so i have essentially 2 networks. This benifits me in a couple of ways. Wireless internet is available during a core reinstall or if its down for any reason. Also wife doesnt complain about no internet in these cases. Plus im still learning Linux in general while I know the router inside and out for configurations and settings.

at the bottom of my wiki page is what I eventually plan to do, just waiting on some hardware to arrive. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Pnuts

Hi Pnuts, welcome to linux world.. hope the experience will be sweet and easy for you..

i am myself a linux geek since college but this is my first MCE installation.. so hoping to get all things sorted out without issues.. ;)

keep posting..

rednus

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 09:56:34 pm »
I am planning on doing a similair thing. I am leaving a router in place and cascading the network down to the LinuxMCE Core so i have essentially 2 networks. This benifits me in a couple of ways. Wireless internet is available during a core reinstall or if its down for any reason. Also wife doesnt complain about no internet in these cases. Plus im still learning Linux in general while I know the router inside and out for configurations and settings.

Hi Pnuts, welcome to linux world.. hope the experience will be sweet and easy for you..

i am myself a linux geek since college but this is my first MCE installation.. so hoping to get all things sorted out without issues.. ;)

keep posting..

rednus

Thanks, so far so good. I've been running through the instructions here: http://www.linux.org/lessons/ just about done with the beginners courses. I think Linux and I are going to get along great, feel like im 14 again playing around in DOS   ;D