Author Topic: New Bee Here.. want to setup LMCE..  (Read 11361 times)

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
New Bee Here.. want to setup LMCE..
« on: April 08, 2009, 02:41:07 pm »
Hello LMCE Gurus,

I have been thinking of automate my home for some time now.. Now I am starting to put it to plan.. my plan is to build the core first.. automate security(Z-wave), lighting(Z-wave), media(powerline), telephony(asterix) one by one in order..

for the starter.. I am planning to build my Hybrid Core which will sit in first floor home cinema room with the following config.. please help me if i am missing anything.. (Please note I am from UK)

Black Opera ATX Desktop Case 500W PSU (20+4 pin)2x 5.25bays, 2x3.25bays, 3fans, 7expansion slots, 2x front usb and front av ports
Asus M4N78 Pro ATX, AM2+, NVIDIA GeForce 8300, Hybrid SLI, 3 x PCI (32 bit), 1 x PCI-E 2.0 (x16), 2 x PCI-E x1, 6x SATA 3gbps, 8USB, HDMI, SPDIF, RAID, 1x IDE
AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750+2.7GHz 2Core, 128KBx2 L1, 512KBx2 L2, 1MBx2 L3
Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro V292mm vertical cooler
Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 2GBx21066FSB
500 GB Maxtor STM3500320AS DiamondMax 22 x232MB Buffer, 8.5ms, 2 discs will be on RAID
Optiarc AD-7200S-0D 20x DVDRWDVD dual layer writer

This will be the basic core.. PCIs & USBs will be added as the installation progress..
Also I wanted to use 2GB or 4GB IDE Flash drive to install my OS on to.. but not sure if that is a good idea or not..

please let me know your views, ideas and suggestions..

thanks
rednus

tricky_dicky

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: New Bee Here.. want to setup LinuxMCE..
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 05:24:41 pm »
Hi rednus,

That system looks ok, I presume you have already had a good look through the wiki to check if it's all compatible?!?! I doubt if you will need 4Gb of RAM but that's up to you.

Just thought I would mention; you say you are planning on installing things like security, lighting,media and asterisk one at a time well LMCE will install it all and then you will just have to configure them as you are ready.  If I were you I would get as much equipment ready as possible for when you do the first install so you have at least got something to play with.

Also, is that all the storage you are planning on having or have you got a NAS box for all your data?

Good luck

Rich

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 05:31:43 pm »
Hi rednus,

That system looks ok, I presume you have already had a good look through the wiki to check if it's all compatible?!?! I doubt if you will need 4Gb of RAM but that's up to you.

Just thought I would mention; you say you are planning on installing things like security, lighting,media and asterisk one at a time well LinuxMCE will install it all and then you will just have to configure them as you are ready.  If I were you I would get as much equipment ready as possible for when you do the first install so you have at least got something to play with.

Also, is that all the storage you are planning on having or have you got a NAS box for all your data?

Good luck

Rich

Hi tricky_dicky, thanks for the reply.. yes i have been thru the hardware wiki.. and what i meant about the installation is about implementation but not really about installing the software.. for the moment 1TB is the storage.. in future i will extend it with additional storage or external sata drives..

the problem with having as much equipment is sourcing all the products and getting them delivered in time for installation.. not the pc products.. but z-wave and other products.. i am still trying to find out best z-wave switches etc..

thanks for the tip though..

regards, rednus

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 05:37:19 pm »
I would not use a CF card for the O/S,  currently your TV show are recorded to your O/S drive.

Also the nic on that Mobo may require an updated drivers as well as your Video card.

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:14 pm »
I would not use a CF card for the O/S,  currently your TV show are recorded to your O/S drive.

Also the nic on that Mobo may require an updated drivers as well as your Video card.

HTH

Tim

Thanks m8.. I realised that after some reading.. now i have to use another 160GB SATA for my OS Drive.. :-) An extra 20quid for the budget..

Another Q, how much swap is recomended..

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:51:03 pm »
Another question, the current MoBo I chose, already have 1 NIC on board.. And I have a sky ADSL wireless router with 4 lan ports.. Do i need to add another NIC card to make my core work as DHCP server and gateway..

is there any way to make my core as DHCP server and gateway only for MCE devices and other devices use the wireless router..

or is there a way to use the wireless router for all the devices as Gateway and still connect to core?

THanks in advance..
rednus

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 08:53:00 pm »

HTH

Tim

Another Q, is it ok to have MD's with CF or solid state or even with less HDD like 40 or 80gig..

Regarding Network connectivity to MD's, will HomePlug AV with 200mbps do? or do i need to run Lan cable all over the house?

thanks

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 08:55:47 pm »

HTH

Tim

Thanks m8.. I realised that after some reading.. now i have to use another 160GB SATA for my OS Drive.. :-) An extra 20quid for the budget..

Another Q, how much swap is recomended..

Dont worry about the swap space...use the DVD installer and just use the defaults.

Andrew

Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 08:57:01 pm »
for the Core\hybrid, your going to want a 2nd NIC.

Short answer: if you want the system to work teh way it is designed, use 2 NIC's

if you do not, you will run into many problems and not get much in terms of support and help, so if your not a linux guru, go with the recomended configuration.

---

As for the power line network, I think it depends on how far you take this and how much data your pushing in the end. An example is 1 HDhomerun using both tuners is using about 80mb/s of the network. If your keeping it simple and small, it should work for you.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 08:58:12 pm »
Sending packets in an AC carrier over powerlines is _very_ problematic, and you'll experience all sorts of weird things that happen over the course of a day, such as connections flaking out when the AC or dishwasher or washer/dryer turns on....

For simple signalling of lights/dimmers/etc, this is fine, and the protocols have inherent safeguards to try to deal with this (well, everything BUT x-10, but i digress.)... but modulating an ethernet like protocol over an inherently noisy wire is just plain stupid. Sorry.

Don't skimp on your interconnect, or you will regret it.

-Thom

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 09:02:31 pm »

HTH

Tim

Another Q, is it ok to have MD's with CF or solid state or even with less HDD like 40 or 80gig..

Regarding Network connectivity to MD's, will HomePlug AV with 200mbps do? or do i need to run Lan cable all over the house?

thanks

The MD PXE boot from your Core over the LAN so no need for any local hard drives in those at all :-)

We sometimes use 200Mbit HomePlug adapters in installations where there is no CAT5 or where the customer is not doing any major refit work. They can work really well... but its all down to the local mains wiring in the property and also partly driven by noise on the mains ring created by Fridges and other motorised 'White goods'... this is so variable you cannot generalise at all on the likelihood of HomePlug working acceptabley or not. We have seen brand new properties fail to work well with HomePlug and conversely 450 year old Barn's with 1920's wiring work fantastically well!!!!

'Suck it and see' is the only way i'm afraid ;-)

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:43:52 am »
The MD PXE boot from your Core over the LAN so no need for any local hard drives in those at all :-)

Andrew

Andrew, is it not possible to boot it directly from the MD if it has a hard drive.. for example i am planning to use asus b202 or b206 as my MD which have 160Gb hard drive..

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:55:06 am »

Andrew

Andrew, I see that you are from Dianemo, could you please suggest me few options here..

1. Which DVB card to use (for freeview or freesat)
2. How to integrate sky box
3. where to buy Zwave products in UK, i have browsed thru some of the zwave products, but i did not understand all of them, i am looking for items that will replace standard UK switches & dimmers, UK power sockets, motion sensors and door/window contacts and also a fire alarm (BTW, I already have a BT Home monitor made by intamac, do you know if they are compatible with zwave?)
4. where to buy asterix cards in UK?

Also am I missing anything in my config?

Thanks for your advice in advance..
rednus

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 01:13:15 am »

Andrew

Andrew, is it not possible to boot it directly from the MD if it has a hard drive.. for example i am planning to use asus b202 or b206 as my MD which have 160Gb hard drive..

Not presently, this option is not available (but might be added back in later) - in the meantime, seriously, just switch it to PXE boot and turn it on. With the Eee boxes and a few other recent nettops, etc there are sometimes a few little things you need to work around, but Andrew has already documented all that on the wiki. Generally, you just switch on a piece of hardware in PXE mode, the core finds it and sets it all up. From then on it just boots from the network, its all very efficient and you won't have problems with performance.

Reinforcing the network requirements, particularly the 2 NIC thing - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Setup

And yes, 4GB is way overkill! It is unlikely you will need more than 2GB for your core and 1GB for your MD, although less also works quite well!

rednus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 01:52:22 am »

Andrew

Not presently, this option is not available (but might be added back in later) - in the meantime, seriously, just switch it to PXE boot and turn it on. With the Eee boxes and a few other recent nettops, etc there are sometimes a few little things you need to work around, but Andrew has already documented all that on the wiki. Generally, you just switch on a piece of hardware in PXE mode, the core finds it and sets it all up. From then on it just boots from the network, its all very efficient and you won't have problems with performance.

Reinforcing the network requirements, particularly the 2 NIC thing - http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Network_Setup

And yes, 4GB is way overkill! It is unlikely you will need more than 2GB for your core and 1GB for your MD, although less also works quite well!

Thanks for the reply colinjones.. why i wanted to see that feature is the time it takes to pxe boot.. i want to completely turn off the MDs instead of standby using Zwave wall plug sockets..

thanks for the suggestion.. that will save some money for the second NIC card.. i already have another wireless router somewhere in the attic.. so i can use that for separate LMCE network..