Author Topic: HDHomerun Issue - US Version  (Read 3248 times)

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
HDHomerun Issue - US Version
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:12:24 am »
I have tried searching the forums and Wiki but I have had no luck. I found these relevant links, but have not been able to get it working:

MythTV Channel Lineup Issue
Anyone Successfully using HDHomeRun?
HDHomerun LinuxMCE Wiki page
Chennel Lineup for my US Zip Code

This is taking place on my Hybrid Core and it is the only MD at the moment. I do note have a remote, all I have is a keyboard and mouse on the core\hybrid and a windows orbiter running on my laptop.

When I launch mythTV via the onscreen choice Media -> TV, I have basically a black screen with a blue bar on the bottom and the time on the upper right. An error message flashes on the screen ever 3 seconds. The error reads:

You should have gotten a channel lock by now. You can continue to wait for a signal, or you can change the channels with up or down, change imputes (c), capture cards (y), etc.

Ok is my only choice at the bottom of this message

If i let it continue like this, after a minute I get a blue screen with the following error:

MythTV is having problems. Reset the backend?

Yes or No are my choices at the bottom of this message

If I click Yes, i get this message:
Could not connect to the master backend server - is it running? Is the IP address set for it in the setup program correct?

Ok is my only choice at the bottom of this message however I am unable to select it. I can press F7 and exit MythTV from the onscreen display.

On my windows machine, I can use VNC to view the channels so I know the HDHomerun is working correctly. I am at a loss for what I should do in order to get this working as I am fairly new to Linux.

Steps I take to get to the issue:
1. Clean install of 710 after running all of the setup wizards.
2. I plug the HDHomerun device. It is auto detected and I am prompted to setup the device.
3. I get a screen letting me know it is installing and then channel scans will run for each of the 2 tuners. This takes <5 minutes and I am asked if i would like to go to the Media player wizard.
4. Both Tuners are listed, I select the first one, enter my schedulesdirect account and select the channel lineup.
---I use Comcast Digital -- some channels removed (mostly the encrypted ones, or premium channels)
5. I receive the message that myth is ready but it can take a while for guide data.
6. I let it sit for about 40 minutes and reload the router
7. Launch MythTV

Also of note:
Despite manually running Mythfilldatabase, this is listed in the status from mythweb:
Last mythfilldatabase run started on 2009-04-05 20:31 and ended on 2009-04-05 20:32.
Suggested next mythfilldatabase run: 2009-04-06 18:23.
There's no guide data available! Have you run mythfilldatabase?
DataDirect Status: Your subscription expires on 03/17/10 14:51:19

Should I be doing something different anywhere?

any help, guidance, or direction is greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Pnuts
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 04:30:03 pm by Pnuts »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: HDHomerun Issue - US Version
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:57:05 am »
nope, that is precisely how mine is set up.

very strange.

-Thom

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 05:16:10 pm »
ok, well I have had the same results after 2 reinstalls of the core\hybrid.

If anyone has any ideas on things I can do to troubleshoot, send them my way. I'll gladly provide any information you think is relavent.

I am going to attempt another reinstall tomorrow evening when the wife will be out (so i can bring down the internet). I think ill try the single layer DVD this time instead of the DL, maybe the DL media I burned is bad?

-Pnuts

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 04:21:25 am »
Well, no responses so I hope im not out of luck. LMCE is just finishing the install now. Waiting on the orbiter to generate and them ill go through the setup. Once finished, ill plug in the HDHomerun again and let it auto detect and go from there.

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 04:42:40 pm »
Just updating incase someone hits this later in a search

It seems LMCE did not actually scan the channels. Since channels were not scanned, mythfilldatabase did not populate any guide data because no channels were present.

Manually going into the backend and scanning channels followed by a mythfilldatabase got me to a working state before i dosed off for the night. I'll play around with it more tonight but I think i can get it fully functional from here.

On that note, if anyone that knows why im getting this issue on a clean install from DVD, please let me know what i should be doing before I connect the HDHomerun to the network.

-Pnuts

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 06:14:20 am »
I got the same result when installing from DVD, twice as well. I connected my hdhomerun during the wizard and she detected it. Everything seemed to set up properly, but the channels never scanned. I had to manually run the mythtv setup and scan channels.

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 05:10:02 pm »
Well atleast im not alone.

Im waiting on some hardware to come in, once it does im upgrading to a solo core instead of a hybrid and going to reinstall again. Ill go from cd's and see if it happens there also.