Author Topic: What kind of success have you had with 8.10?  (Read 3391 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
What kind of success have you had with 8.10?
« on: April 04, 2009, 07:36:10 pm »
Hey all, I'm just wondering what kind of functionality 8.10 currently has.  Is it worth waiting for the release, or is it moderately stable?  I ask cause 8.10 will support my new digital tuner, so I'm pretty excited to upgrade.  Anyone have a mostly functional 8.10 system?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of success have you had with 8.10?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:43:11 pm »
Nobody seems to get that you would need to write a device template for your digital tuner to get proper out of the box support.

-Thom

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 11:38:46 pm »
Hey, you know me.  I'll give it a swing, but I was more talking about mythtv support and kernel support in general.  The 7.10 kernel doesn't have proper drivers for the haupuage 1250 MC, but 8.10 has a fairly stable driver.  However, it will take me a long time as I am in the middle of senior papers and not currently running LMCE (I'm using ubuntu 8.10+mythtv.  I took the the trade off of digital TV to sweet interface and functionality.).  I'll be able to work on this in depth in about 1 month when all my papers are done. 

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 09:27:33 pm »
Id still like to hear how stable 8.10 is

Seer

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Gamehendge
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 04:20:10 am »
Stable?  Yes!  Supported, no. 

I've only touched my toe in 0710 and promptly installed 0810 to have a "development" box, and I've gotten most things working.  Some important features don't work yet, like "Manage Drives" for hard drives (works with my DVD-ROM drive), and I don't have any HA stuff at the moment.  Basically, I've been able to play around with it very well.  It's not mission critical in my house right now, so if you have a working 0710 running your house, DO NOT just upgrade on top of it.  If anything, get a new hard drive and install onto that so if it doesn't work, just unplug it and boot up your known good 0710 drive.

I'll shortly have a tuner card (if it ever comes in the mail!) so I'll be able to report on Myth at that time.

And remember, it's not called "The Bleeding Edge" for nothin'!