Author Topic: "Should RS232 Be Dropped In Favor Of Other Protocols"?  (Read 13037 times)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
Re: "Should RS232 Be Dropped In Favor Of Other Protocols"?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 12:23:01 am »
rs232 is _the_ standard protocol for HA control. We'll not drop it for decades.

There are plenty of projectors available with rs232.

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 02:43:02 am »
[Moderator mode]

Guys, this thread is starting to "spiral"! Can everyone check their tone please? We need to stay on topic or simply let the thread die.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 02:54:10 am »
[Member mode]

I would suggest that any move to remove support for a standard is misguided, for obvious reasons. RS232 will be around for a long time. The idea of "phasing out" is meaningless here - either we continue to support the standard because it will be around for a long time and is needed (which is what we will do), or we remove the standard from our supported set. One cannot "phase out" something like this because we are building systems that support a standard that is or isn't being used, we are not able to control what manufacturers use for communications. Thus manufacturers can "phase out" the standard if they wish, in the context of LMCE we cannot "phase out" anything. We either support it or do not, there is no process by which we can "phase out".

The crux of this thread appears to be the phasing out argument. Which conceptually doesn't make any sense unless you feel that adding new supported standards and leaving old ones in place is by implication phasing them out. Either way, the argument appears to be specious, and so the thread should stop here with the statement that 232 needs to continue, and new standards should be added. Any further discussion would appear to be "troll"ing....

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 10:34:53 am »

*bites-his-tongue-really-hard*

We have support for just about every single _standard interconnect_ that has some sort of published standard. Just because your projector is using a proprietary connector without published protocol specifications is not our problem. Get something with a published control protocol.

-Thom

Thom,

I am aware of that. However, wouldn't it be great if there were a unified protocol under which most or all devices would be covered.
I know, Wishful thinking.

John.

Hi,

maybe you won't believe, but such thing already exists. It's called DCE... ;-)
Others already said the point. System allows you to add support for any rs232 or Ethernet device you can imagine (if you know it's protocol)...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 10:52:27 am »

*bites-his-tongue-really-hard*

We have support for just about every single _standard interconnect_ that has some sort of published standard. Just because your projector is using a proprietary connector without published protocol specifications is not our problem. Get something with a published control protocol.

-Thom

Thom,

I am aware of that. However, wouldn't it be great if there were a unified protocol under which most or all devices would be covered.
I know, Wishful thinking.

John.

Hi,

maybe you won't believe, but such thing already exists. It's called DCE... ;-)
Others already said the point. System allows you to add support for any rs232 or Ethernet device you can imagine (if you know it's protocol)...

Regards,

Bulek.

bulek,

Yes I have read about DCE (Distributed Computer Environment). I'll do some more research about it.

John.
* Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day
*Teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

qball4

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 12:34:22 pm »
lmce3000,

I think you might want to read http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Developers_Guide; it is an excellent introduction to the underlying technical aspects of LMCE. Sections 2 and 3 should specifically help with your research.

:Matt

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 03:34:57 pm »

Also I am not suggesting that we DROP RS232. That would be DUMD indeed. I'm just saying that RS232 is being Phased out.
Should we follow that trend as well ?

John.

That is exactly what you suggested...in your own words...

"My point is, should we drop RS232 altogether and move towards RJ45 ?"

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7811.msg50671#msg50671
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 03:37:44 pm by marrandy »

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 04:11:15 pm »

Also I am not suggesting that we DROP RS232. That would be DUMD indeed. I'm just saying that RS232 is being Phased out.
Should we follow that trend as well ?

John.

That is exactly what you suggested...in your own words...

"My point is, should we drop RS232 altogether and move towards RJ45 ?"

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7811.msg50671#msg50671

Dude! This is a question? I am not saying we should drop RS232....... This is an open ended question.  Read it carefully.

John.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:24:38 pm by lmce3000 »

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 04:15:19 pm »
Dude! This is a question? I am not saying we should drop RS232....... This is an open ended question.  Read it carefully.

Learn to qoute, its hard to read who are You replying to and what You are saying.

And Yes, YOu asked a question..But Your question was leaning towards affirmitive answers So basiclly, You anwsered Your own quesiton and just wanted aproval of anybody else.
RS232 is the most common interface for any HA equipment nad AV stuff. Dont conclude anything if You didnt research much.

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 04:25:39 pm »

Learn to qoute, its hard to read who are You replying to and what You are saying.

And Yes, YOu asked a question..But Your question was leaning towards affirmitive answers So basiclly, You anwsered Your own quesiton and just wanted aproval of anybody else.
RS232 is the most common interface for any HA equipment nad AV stuff. Dont conclude anything if You didnt research much.

Geez!!! I know how to quote. Busy here. Happy???
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 04:27:13 pm by lmce3000 »

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 05:08:12 pm »
I think you missed something above..

DCE (Data, Commands and Events) that was suggested above is the communications protocol of LMCE (developed and owned by Pluto). It abstracts the underlying protocol of the device you are trying to control. For example, if you send an ON command to a device, you don't need to worry about the protocol used to control the device, it will just happen automagically (if the device template is defined correctly and a driver has been written). Check out DCE in the wiki - its the backbone of LinuxMCE and understanding it is essential to anything you do in LMCE.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 05:26:35 pm »
This is going in circles, and I suspect trolling.

Thread locked for a few days.