Author Topic: [RESOLVED] wiimote ir setup for full screen orbiter  (Read 6314 times)

piusvelte

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
[RESOLVED] wiimote ir setup for full screen orbiter
« on: April 03, 2009, 02:26:10 pm »
I followed the wiki for setting up a wiimote, and am using the ir functionality, which makes this MD a incredible upgrade to my current setup using an xbox with XBMC. When the MD boots into the orbiter, and I connect a wiimote, I can only scroll through the bottom left 1/4 of the screen. Others have noted this problem as well.

For me the resolution was to use the default ir_ptr (with the tildes "~") and to add the xorg.conf lines described here.

Code: [Select]
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Wiimote"
        Driver          "evdev"
        Option          "Name"          "Nintendo Wiimote"
EndSection
and to the ServerLayout section
Code: [Select]
InputDevice     "Wiimote" "AlwaysCore"
Also, I removed the mac address so that any of my wiimotes can connect. So far, so good. Now if I can get sound from my Audigy card, I can start using this MD!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 06:33:29 pm by piusvelte »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: [RESOLVED] wiimote ir setup for full screen orbiter
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:05:58 am »
Mind adding that to the wiki? (if you haven't already of course).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

piusvelte

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 01:22:36 pm »
I did that immediately after posting here. I'm trying to make up for my whining about no audio! Thanks!

SpiderSprog

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 09:04:55 pm »
I think I have the same or a similar problem.
I followed the wiki and I can get the pointer to all of the screen bar the far right (everything to the left of the advanced menu item I can access fine)

I tried adding the sections above to my xorg.conf but it makes my system unbootable (possibly because there was no server layout section before I added it in)

not sure if it is the same problem.  Is there a way to define the size of my screen.  it seems like the pointer is just stopping when it thinks it has reached the far right side.

SpiderSprog

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:32:21 am »
hmm weird.  It just started worrking perfectly today.
it is particularly foggy today though.  and there are a lot of windows in my front room.  mayeb the IR signal from the sensor bar was being diluted out with all the light coming in

SpiderSprog

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 04:28:36 pm »
scratch that.  Its not working again.
It seems to work or not at random should the IR LEDs on the sensor bar be affected by lighting conditions in the room?
It's the only thing I can think of that would cause it to work and then not work so erratically.

Either that or it thinks my screen is smaller than it is, but that wouldn't explain why sometimes I can reach all areas of the screen with the pointer and other times I can't

P.S. sorry for the multiposts guys

mactalla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 08:33:33 pm »
It seems to work or not at random should the IR LEDs on the sensor bar be affected by lighting conditions in the room?
It's the only thing I can think of that would cause it to work and then not work so erratically.

The sensor bar emits two infrared lights.  The wiimote uses a camera to "see" these two light points.  The wiimote has a filter to only let pass infrared so the light from your TV doesn't confuse it.  However, sunlight and also lightbulbs will pass this filter.  If you have an actual wii, you can actually view what the wiimote is seeing to find what other lightsource it's picking up.  If there are other points of light (say reflection from a lightbulb) then the pointer will usually jump or flicker.  If it gets washed out so it can't identify points of light, it will stop moving.

Can I assume when your wiimote stops moving it is when you're poining towards your windows?

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 05:06:04 pm »
Hi,
now i'm confused. As i undestood, the wiimote connects to the MD or Hybrid by Bluettoth. Is this right? If iyes, is the infrared emiter (the bar) needed? Why? I'm about to order a wiimote controler only. DO i need to order the IR bar too?
TIA,
Paulo

gaspertec

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 12:06:32 pm »
Hi Paulo,

I'm brazillian too. I live in Sao Paulo and you can find my e-mail in my profile. If you want, we can change informations about the issues that we find here in Brazil for make Linux MCE works and after helps the others guys ...

About the sensor bar, I think that you don't need it. My wiimote controller works with the bluetooth dongle only. I don't know what the sensor bar increases about functionality. If someone can explain more about it, thanks !

Cezar

Kooma

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:52:24 pm »
Hi,
now i'm confused. As i undestood, the wiimote connects to the MD or Hybrid by Bluettoth. Is this right? If iyes, is the infrared emiter (the bar) needed? Why? I'm about to order a wiimote controler only. DO i need to order the IR bar too?
TIA,
Paulo
Wiimote is connected via bluetooth. As the controller has a 3-axis accelerometer, it is possible to sense movements. However, this normally needs to be "tied" to some reference point. For this, the sensor bar allows to track the overall position of the wiimote. So, sensor bar reference together with the accelerometer  data provides "full" control.
See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Remote#Functionality

pw44

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 04:03:10 pm »
Hi Kooma and Cezar (gaspertec),
Thx for the wikipedia link. I already know it, but got confused by the post mentioning the ir bar.
Cezar, you profile has hidden emai, so it will be hard to send you a PM.
Thx all,
Paulo

SpiderSprog

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 01:59:34 pm »

The sensor bar emits two infrared lights.  The wiimote uses a camera to "see" these two light points.  The wiimote has a filter to only let pass infrared so the light from your TV doesn't confuse it.  However, sunlight and also lightbulbs will pass this filter.  If you have an actual wii, you can actually view what the wiimote is seeing to find what other lightsource it's picking up.  If there are other points of light (say reflection from a lightbulb) then the pointer will usually jump or flicker.  If it gets washed out so it can't identify points of light, it will stop moving.

Can I assume when your wiimote stops moving it is when you're poining towards your windows?

It stops moving once I move it a certain distance from the TV, before I get anywhere near the windows.
I do have a black glass TV stand which could well be reflecting the IR LED light.  I'll try putting some paper or something under the sensor bar and report back, thanks.

SpiderSprog

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 04:21:16 pm »
looks like there are other IR sources in my room.  possibly from my celing lights.  I live in a flat and they have the lots of little lights sunk into the celling, it seems when I point my wiimote at the roof I get soem reaction (even when the sensor bar is off)

I get much better movement when the lights are off, I also noticed my sensor bar (which is a battery model, modded to use USB power) wiring had come loose a bit so the LEDs weren't as bright as they should have been.

I still cant reach the far right of my scrren with the pointer though.
Can someone tell me how I can add the "server layout" to my xorg.conf without rendering my system unbootable,
that way I can try the fix from the wiki (the one for cursor confined to bottom left corner of screen).