Author Topic: New Forum Layout for 810  (Read 13542 times)

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: New Forum Layout for 810
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 04:31:54 pm »
You've got my support.

Ray_N

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Your Plan B!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 06:47:13 pm »
   While I'm all for the 0810 vs 0710 split, I agree with b4rney.
   Too many sub-forums may be too much of a management issue that may unnecessarily dilute moderators time from doing other things. For example, I would not want colinjones taking time away from giving his awesome advices because he's trying to sort-out postings into correct sub-forum. And yes, when people come over, they will most likely just post to "Users". Generally, people are not so "categoristic" when posting asking questions versus when looking for stuff.

So we have two different ideas going on here in this thread. Just so we don't confuse, when people say "I agree with that"...
1) Start 0810 forums, and archive 0710.
2) Add several sub-forums.

R

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 06:49:07 pm »
Problem with archiving current forums is, that all of the links will be screwed. Not a good thing imho. Maybe just rename them.

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 06:50:04 pm »
I actually think the 810 vs 710 spilt would be better, but could we still get a watercooler type section for off topic chat and such?

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 07:03:34 pm »
710 is still relevant, thus archiving anytime soon would not make sense...

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 07:20:32 pm »
Well I say then that we leave it up to the MOD's or whoever would do the work of adding topics etc, there have been enough posts for them to get an idea. If they change it cool, if not no big deal. I am just concerned that as LMCE grows (which i believe it will) there will be more and more posts each day, and if they aren't categorized then we will have 3 pages of new posts under just the user section. I mean the stickies at the top of the users page take up about 50% of the first page as it is....

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 07:29:11 pm »
I've got another idea, how about a section for people using UI1 and a section for UI2. or is UI1 not going to be in 810. I haven't got around to trying 810 yet so I don't know.
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 10:11:11 pm »
No.

-Thom

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 04:26:39 am »
The old pluto forum broke down the sections in a somewhat similar way although it was sort of down to the main devices.
It has pros and cons.

It seems to be better for finding old posts that relate to a certain area when search doesn't give you what you want or gives you too much.
The disadvanatge is that when doing your daily browse you have to go through more areas because I am sure I am not the only one that tends to read nearly all the posts.

I don't have a problem with it now and would probably prefer it to stay as is - but I wouldn't really care that much if it changed.

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 06:31:43 am »
Oh well, was just a thaught.
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

patmankn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2009, 08:44:31 pm »
Actually i kind of like the setup like it is right now, To many subforums makes it hard just to browse all categories while watching TV on the couch. I prefer, just browsing the board, sneaking around others problems, as my own system is not that advanced yet. To divide up the forum with the new release is not the best idea, because some solutions might work on the new version as well.
Hybrid: MSI MS-7329,Nvidia 6150 onboard,AMD BE-2400,2gb RAM,Sharp Aqous LE 37X20E via MD Zotoc Ion Synergy,Terratec 1200 & Cinergy DT USB Diversity DVB-T, KNC ONE TV-Station DVB-C,WebDT366,Fiire Chief http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/User:Patmankn

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 02:05:50 am »
Hi Darren,
The disadvanatge is that when doing your daily browse you have to go through more areas because I am sure I am not the only one that tends to read nearly all the posts.
True, but I am pretty sure you too use the "Show unread posts" option  ;), which I think becomes even more useful if there are a few more categories!
Cheers
Mark

The only time I ever use the individual forums is when I am posting a new thread... I only ever use the Show Unread Posts option, so the individual forums for me are kinda irrelevant!

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 01:45:28 pm »
FWIW, I use Colin's method of access, so it is also irrelevant for me - but I have great sympathy for everyone else's points of view and can see a strong case for both approaches. Having a second set of boards for the new release seems like a good idea, though. Even if that reflects the current layout!

While you are at it, would it be possible to look at the wiki too? I often find that when I'm looking around it, I find things are not yet supported, then later discover the page is out of date and it is now supported in 7.x or whatever.

I'm not suggesting re-writing the whole wiki (far too much work!) but how about introducing a header to every page? This header would be a table listing the various versions of MCE and whether the page applies or not. Users would then be encouraged to add the header (and fill it in!) when editing a page. Any page without a header would then be "flagged" as pre-8.10.

Alternatively (or maybe as well) you could have a "Applies to 8.10" logo which is added to any page that is updated in the light of the new version.

One (or both) of these suggestions would prevent people (like me) asking questions relating to outdated wiki information...

Just a thought  ;D
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

mami

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 06:54:27 am »
I was thinking that when 810 is released, it might be nice to change up the forum a little and wanted to know if anyone else shared my opinion. It seems to me that our channels aren't very specific, which makes it harder to find info. So i would suggest something along the lines of:
1. General Discussion/ Users
2. Media
3. Lighting
4. Climate
5. Telecom
6. Security
7. Developers
8. Install issues
9. Feature Requests Roadmap
10. 710/ Archive

I think the 810 release would be the perfect time to implement this because we could start with a blank slate, put all of the current info into the archive, and then new posts going forward would be related to the new release (avoids the question of "are you talking about 710 or 810?"). I think this would help out with organization and might keep down all the repeatative questions, also it might be a little less overwhelming for new members to the forum. Plus now that we have moderators it will be much easier to move threads into their proper channel if they are started in the wrong place.
Just a thought.
-Krys

I like this too. It's easier to post new questions and to find specific problems you have...
And a Off Topic too.

The one about wiki sounds intressting too.

/Mami