Author Topic: is there one interface to play .vob/mkv/xvid files  (Read 2637 times)

dolfinnman

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
is there one interface to play .vob/mkv/xvid files
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:35:57 pm »
Hi all,
I'm totally new to this forum but I'm hoping you will be able to help me. the story goes like this: at present I run a Nas server with 1.2TB of vid files in dif formats such as .mkv .xvid .vob .iso etc. and I'm running mce 2005 as the front end in the lounge and buffalo link theatre in the bedroom and i'm frustrated that there is not just one interface within mce2005 to play them all instead i have to use my video to play .avi's and my dvd to play .vob's and then daemon tools to mount iso. All i want is one front end to play all!!! I also have my videos in parent folders categorised like "horror" "action" etc.. So to this end can some one tell me whether linuxMCE does all that and hopefully better!

cheers in advance
lee

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: is there one interface to play .vob/mkv/xvid files
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:48:16 pm »
Hi all,
I'm totally new to this forum but I'm hoping you will be able to help me. the story goes like this: at present I run a Nas server with 1.2TB of vid files in dif formats such as .mkv .xvid .vob .iso etc. and I'm running mce 2005 as the front end in the lounge and buffalo link theatre in the bedroom and i'm frustrated that there is not just one interface within mce2005 to play them all instead i have to use my video to play .avi's and my dvd to play .vob's and then daemon tools to mount iso. All i want is one front end to play all!!! I also have my videos in parent folders categorised like "horror" "action" etc.. So to this end can some one tell me whether linuxMCE does all that and hopefully better!

cheers in advance
lee

Hi Lee,

Welcome!

See this forum thread for more info on container formats etc; http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7752.msg50369#new

LinuxMCE provides a single UI to play and browse video/audio media, control your home and the devices throughout it, manage home security, IP cameras, VOIP telephony and much much more.

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

jthodges

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:50:34 pm »
Yes, these are all recognized as video by LMCE and presented the same way.  You then can use tags such as genre or media type to filter your view as you browse the media.  This requires that your media is properly tagged, but with the genre organization you mentioned, you should be well-positioned to use the upcoming auto-tagging feature (http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7116.msg50212#msg50212) to both tag your current genres as well as automatically tag new media that you copy in under that existing structure.

dolfinnman

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 03:13:40 pm »
well thanks very much thats what i wanted to hear!  ;) there is one more thing and that is the spec of the core machine does it really need to have a high end graphics card as it will be built on the same server as the storage and and so wont be used as such to watch anything just stream files etc. i have a high end machine at present in the lounge with mce 2005 but i want to just install linux mce and use this as a terminal instaead of a server i that makes sense this way the server in the garage can do all the work and it has two cat5e feed already so will act as a router but as it stands it only has onboard graphics just want to know if this is a issue

cheers
again

lee

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:44:44 pm »
If you intend to use the core as just a core and not for viewing media, then no, certainly not, choose UI1 and you can get a very basic graphics chip - you can even run it headless if you want, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that. Most people use their core's in hybrid mode, so you can view media on it as well. But if not, the machine does not need to be high end at all, most of the load will be SQL database queries.

Even the Media Director function doesn't really need very high end video cards. nVidia is invariably the preference, and most people can get away with 6200-7300 chipsets. Although with the coming accelerated video decoding functionality you may want to get a 8xxx or 9xxxx series device in preparation, 8300/8400/8500 are quiet common. All will require you to install the latest nVidia drivers, detailed on the wiki under Display Drivers.

You should be familiar with the necessary network setup detailed on the wiki search for Network Setup, as this is a very important aspect. And generally compatible hardware is important to a smooth setup, I have posted many threads about using chipsets to determine an appropriate motherboard rather than the motherboard itself, so it would be worth looking into that as well.

But yes, welcome to LMCE, and yes good riddance to stupid switching between applications, the MCE interface and desktop, and generally fucking around to get some media to play.... simply unnecessary under LMCE, I cannot remember the last time I had to switch into the Desktop on my living room device, it stays in LMCE media mode 100% of the time (every Windows MCE user I have seen sits in desktop mode more often than not!), and I definitely cannot remember the last time I even thought about what codec or container format any of my media is in, it just doesn't occur to me. I press play, and it plays, exactly the same every time :)