Author Topic: Who Is LMCE3000???  (Read 5402 times)

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Who Is LMCE3000???
« on: March 29, 2009, 03:17:20 am »
Hi All,

I Joined this forum with the best of intentions. From my first post forward, I've never claimed to be an expert.
I guess I was wrong by assuming that a FORUM was meant to foster a sense of community. Not a temple where
we worship LINUXMCE GODS.
        For those who's been asking "Who's LMCE3000"? IRRELEVANT !!! I am who I am. If any of you have bothered
to ask, you would have gotten a straight answer, because I am a straight shooter.

To The Dev Team: Stop knit-pickin' !!!! Do what you do best. CODE DAWG NABBIT!!!!! Your people's skills need some
tweakin' Sorry a lot of tweaking. As you've discussed in the chat room, let someone who's less technically inclined
handle the day to day stuff like taking care of this forum. Get to work !!!!!

Stop sighing @ people !
Stop biting people's heads off
stop knit-pickin' on spelling mistakes. ( Did it ever occur to you geniuses that Buisness might have been a typo)? You all do the same ish!!!!!
Grow up already!!!!
Stop taking yourselves sooooooooooo seriously. We're not curing cancer here!!!!!  GEEZ!!!

Never flamed anyone's ego. I just stated a fact by saying "

Re: How to start a buisness with LinuxMCE
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:17:05 pm »   Quote Modify Remove

Hi Todd,

First off, you seem to know what you're talking about. Given your experience,
I think you could do quite well for yourself selling the LINUXMCE magic. However,
you're right about about the licensing, you would need to contact Pluto and inquire
about licensing. As far as LINUXMCE ridding itself of Pluto Completely to bypass
the licencing issues, I don't see that happening anytime soon if at all.
Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone....

P.S. Good luck with your biz idea. Might do the same at some point.

John."

See that thread for more details.

I am here to stay. and help in any way that I can. Unless I get shutdown by the powers that be.

"who is LMCE3000 you ask"? I am a facilitator. I can make things happen. Don't be so quick to judge people, you diss me, you diss yourself...
* Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day
*Teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Who Is LMCE3000???
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:42:02 am »
Welcome to LinuxMCE.

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 03:45:16 am »
Thank You dlewis.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 05:41:19 am »
Welcome John. I have seen the question asked, but I can honestly say I have seen no particular enmity or concern over your contributions, all pretty benign really. But you've had your say and made your point. After this, if you feel someone has unnecessarily flamed or attacked you in the forums, click the Report to Moderator link. We will review it. A little ribbing and joking and smart-arse remarks are something we all have to take with good humour, but we will take action if there is outright abuse and attacks.

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 10:51:27 am »
Thank You colinjones. 

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 06:47:21 pm »
(Resisting the urge to completely flame lmce3000)  hehe  j/k

Welcome to LMCE.

I don't know the particulars of your personal experience but I'm also a newbie to LMCE and I've seen this same type of complaint many times.  I personally have found that it's usually a combination of a lack of patience from experienced LMCE users coupled with a hypersensitivity from a new user in unfamiliar territory.  I've never read anything and felt it was mean or malicious (except from Zaerc, I'm pretty sure he's Satan, hehe).

I'm not sure what business you're in but try and imagine people asking you a question that is in their manual/wiki/help system over and over again.  After about the 200th time you get the same question, even the most patient of us will give a /hmm.  Even Jesus isn't that patient.  From what I've seen, at least 60% of the questions asked by new users are already answered by the wiki or forums.  So I can understand a little impatience from experienced users.  Couple that impatience with a new user that is in unsure territory, feeling lost and confused and it's easy to see how something innocuous (sp?) can blow up into a flame war.  Comments like "Get to Work!!!" for instance, could easily be miscontrued, as it's certainly inconsiderate to demand work from people that donate thier time.  I'm sure you didn't mean it in a malicious "you're a lazy bastard" kind of way, but in typeform it can easily be read that way.  Comments like that, that are misunderstood in their true intent start a cascade effect of flaming and misunderstanding.  Please realize I'm not flaming you, just pointing out one comment similar to many others that start this sort of thing.

For any new LMCE users my advice is (and I really can't express this strongly enough):  SEARCH THE WIKI AND FORUMS EXHAUSTIVELY!  When you're absolutely sure you can't find your answer, SEARCH AGAIN!  If you still can't find your answer, post on the forums and I'd recommend starting that post with something like: "I've searched the forums and wiki and I can't find...".  Personally, I've found every "basic" question I've ever had answered in the wiki and/or forums.  Even I think it's silly when I see the "Can LMCE do this....?" questions.  Not only is that stuff in the wiki but there's a damn video!!!  A question like that is irritating even to me and shows a complete lack of effort from the poster and the poster should be informed that they have to do more research before posting or they will continue asking those types of questions and sucking up other people's time.

Perhaps the powers that be would consider a "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING" sticky.  It may alleviate some of the repetitive questions.

Personally, I've found everyone here to be extremely helpful and I'm continually amazed at how much time I've seen devs spend helping someone with a problem (me for one).  (Shit, now I sound like I'm sucking up.)

Anyway, that's my perception of every "flame" issue I've seen.

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 07:42:57 pm »
Personally, I've found everyone here to be extremely helpful and I'm continually amazed at how much time I've seen devs spend helping someone with a problem (me for one).  (Shit, now I sound like I'm sucking up.)

I have to second that. If You ask a question in the right way, You will get an answer. Try to be precise with it and try to describe Your setup, it can help anyone to try and help You. Questions like, why doesnt this work, without giving information such as is Your core setup with 1/2 NICs, which version os LMCE are YOu using etc etc, can only make people angry and not willing to help You at all.

LMCE3000, personally i dont have anything against You...But according to thread You pointed out i dont see why You felt like You need to tell something to the devs. If You have nothing to contribute to the society (like myself) then dont post at all. Only when i am absolutely sure i can help someone (ie, had that problem before, read about it in wiki/forums...) i post my anwser. Dont get me wrong, any kind of help is much appriciated and nice thing to do.

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 09:29:12 pm »
To Dalek & Ivanp,

Please take a moment to read my original post that started all this. http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7724.0

" "Tough Love In This Forum"
« on: March 24, 2009, 11:58:03 am »   Remove

Hi All,
this is my second post in this forum. I've actually been lurking around as a guest for quite some time.
But before I decided to chime in, I wanted to be as informed as I could be. Because I've noticed that a lot of
people don't actually take the time to read through past threads before they ask questions that are deemed "STUPID"
by advanced users of LinuxMCE but are not as clear cut for a novice or noob.
So guys and gals, I'm not saying you should read the whole forum's content, (Which I did, btw) but the search tool is your friend, USE IT!
I do understand when guys like Thom gets pissed off at people asking the same question over and over. Do your homework people.
Because if all the answers were given to you on a silver platter, you'd never learn and you wouldn't enjoy the LinuxMCE experience as much.
So instead of being part of the problem, be a part of the solution.

Your thoughts, John.

* Teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime."

Where's the malicious intent here?

I thought some of you might take this post (Who Is LMCE3000)???
out of context, because you don't have the whole story and a lot of it went on behind the scenes. Via PM. and conversations that went on in a chat room. Also comments from Zaerc directed at me
that were deleted from a thread. Subsequently my thread was locked for no apparent reason. Anyway this thread was a vent directed at the concerned parties. They know who they are. Please don't take it out of context, because you don't know the full story.

You see, I do have something to contribute. But when I did try to point someone in the right direction, comments were made about me trying to be an expert. Not the case.
I know these guys are working really hard. And I know that they spend countless hours helping out in these forums. enough said, read my posts and see for yourselves.

John.

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 11:43:18 pm »
To Dalek & Ivanp,

Please take a moment to read my original post that started all this. http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=7724.0

/cut/

lmce3000, stop it, please. I agree with You. Colinjones already told You that You have made Your point. What more do You want? Apologie from someone? ADmit that they were wrong? I think its not gonna happen, so move on. If You got something to contribute, do it. If You DO really contribute dont expect some kind of reward or anything like it. We are here to help ppl for free.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 11:46:45 pm »
Subsequently my thread was locked for no apparent reason

it was on the best way to a flame war (also partly my fault as I did not discuss the moderator thing with all other core devs, bad move from my side). Your original point was a very good one and is now being adressed with the new moderators. So I don't understand what you are trying to tell us now and why you are unhappy with the other thread closed..
We have so many things left to do for 0810, let's focus on those :-)

best regards,
Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 11:51:32 pm »
OK guys, this thread is going nowhere. All points have been made and aired, lets move on. I don't think anything more can be added to this thread of use to anyone else in the forum, let's not allow this to spiral off into pointless territory that has nothing to do with LMCE.

* No more posts, please *