Author Topic: I detected a new plug and play device - No, ignore it this time - HOWTO pick up?  (Read 7468 times)

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
Hi forum,

Probably this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find a pointer to a precise answer, so I ask again:

LMCE detected a new plug and play device.
You choose: No, ignore this time

What is the procedure to add this device in a later stadium?
I'v checked pluto-admin > advanced > Configuration > Unknown devices and it is not there.

Thanks for your input!

Erwin

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
It should prompt you the next time the PnP engine detects it. It should have done it within a couple of minutes max.

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
Posde, thanks for answering;

Well, unfortunately it does not...
Not for any of the devices I had 'put on hold' in this way....

(Running LMCE 7.10)
What can be the cause?
Any way to re-trigger this action?

Thanks for helping out!

Erwin

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
The only thing I can imagine is, you did not hit ignore this time. What you can do is, go into the web admin / Advanced / Configuration / Unknown devices and Unlock the device in question

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
I've been there, and the devices are not listed there.
The ones for which I chose:
No, and ignore every time. Don't ask again for this device.
are there allright...

(I deliberately set up a couple of NAS devices, each containing a DATA share, not meant for use with LMCE, and an
additional LMCE share for specific LMCE use and containing typical /public/ folder layout.)

I realize that each 'device' is registered in dhcp also.
Is there any way to 'remove' or blank this registration and have LMCE re-detect the device?

Thank you.

phenigma

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
I have been having the exact same issue with NAS samba drives, I have not found a solution except to add the share manually. 

If I create a new share on the NAS it is detected but none of the other shares which I had previously chosen to 'No, ignore this time' are detected.  All devices which I choose to 'ignore every time' show up in the unknown devices list.

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
Makes me think it would perhaps be a good thing to show ALL devices picked up in the list, with  an attribute, e.g. not now, and never, and being able to unlock EACH of them as desired...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
You can remove the instance from dhcp in /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf

I have had that issue before. Make sure you turn off the NAS/file server first, purge the DHCP entry, ensure there is no vestigial device in the Devices Tree, even a stub (ie the server but not share), recheck the unknown devices, etc. Perhaps even purge your pnpqueue. Then reboot your core. Once it is up, turn on your NAS/file server - hopefully the DHCP request will be seen as a new device.

You should probably monitor the pluto-dhcp log as it will log when it detects the device coming on line and whether it considers it to be a new device or not. If new, it will send an event that populates the pnpqueue. Then there is an attribute in that queue that tells you once it has dealt with it.

hth

Lexje

• Guru
    • View Profile
Thanks Collin for replying;
I indeed found your post explaining this already.
Will check this out.

Another thing that has cost me a lot of time/testing.
Perhaps my mistake in misinterpreting - will try to sort this out for documenting purposes, but:

LMCE creates its own /home/public/ structure.
Underneeth we'll find
 /home/public/data
 | next
 |----------------/audio
 |----------------/videos
 |----------------etc

I have copied this "public" structure to my NAS devices;
But -
One should not copy the /data/ folder and put directly
 |---/share_mount_dir/public/audio
 |---/share_mount_dir/public/videos
 |---etc

This misinterpretation has caused LMCE to not detect my media.
I guess maybe other users may have unknowingly made the same mistake...

Thanks for helping!
Keep up the good work,

Erwin

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Then for clarity for other users....

You only need share a remote folder with read/write access, using SAMBA or Windows sharing.

Ideally, this folder will be empty. When you tell LMCE to use the LMCE folder structure, during the detection wizard, LMCE will then create all the necessary folders you need automatically. You can then move your media into the appropriate folders and it will be scanned into the database.

If the share already has media in it, that is fine - LMCE will still create the folder structure, then you can just relocate the media from its current location, into these folders and it will be scanned into the database.

If the share already has a LMCE folder structure on it and perhaps some media in that folder structure, LMCE will recognise this and reuse that folder structure, then re-scan the media content of those folders back into the database.

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
I just rebuilt my 810 Hybrid, by mistake I clicked "No, and ignore every time. Don't ask again for this device." for my Dlink "DNS-323".

So I went to "pluto-admin > advanced > Configuration > Unknown devices " and I unlocked the device and rebooted my hybrid, no luck to redetect it again, then I followed the instruction in the wiki http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Re-Detecting_Plug_and_Play_Devices I saw there is 3 records in the "PnpQueue" Table,  because I see the same Mac address of the DNS323 3 times ??? if I understand the table correctly it should have only one Mac address per record!!!

So, I'm not sure what is the best way to delete these records, so it will get detected again next reload !!! Or I just install the device manually??

Thanks,
Charlie
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
Here's a solution in case you made a mistake and ignored a Plug n Play device and you selected "No, and ignore every time. Don't ask again for this device." , or the Unlock command did not work for you, and that what happened to me.

1) Turn off the device first, in my case was DNS-323
2) Log in to the Mysql database "sudo mysql -uroot"
3) Select the table from the database "use pluto_main"
4) View all the devices in the queue, and locate the IP address of the device in question "SELECT * FROM PnpQueue;"
5) View all rows of the device to be sure, you should see at lease 3 rows "SELECT * FROM PnpQueue where IPaddress=’192.168.80.130’;"
6) Delete all rows related to the above IP address " DELETE FROM PnpQueue WHERE IPaddress=’192.168.80.130’;"
7) Quit Mysql "quit"
8) Reload the router
9) Turn ON the device
10) Now Linuxmce will detect the device automatically "PnP"
11) Done  :)

Cheers,
Charlie

Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Thanks Charlie!

Realistically..... why do we need to clear the pnpqueue? Theoretically, the queue should only be processed from the last entry, so old entries should be irrelevant as they just keep building up... is this a bug?

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
Colin,
I definitely think there is a problem with the unlock feature "pluto-admin > advanced > Configuration > Unknown devices " if I understand it correctly, after unlocking the device or shared folder, reloading the router, and re-powering the device the system should ask you if you want to use the device or shared folder again, where in my case everytime I re-powered my DNS-323 new entry of each shared folder get created in the PnpQueue table I had 3 shares on my NAS, so when I searched the Queue table there was about 12 entries, again I think someone who knows this part should verify the functionality of the unlock feature, because it is useful for people who want to unblock certain shared folder on the NAS at later time!!!
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,

ccoudsi

• Guru
    • View Profile
Does anyone know if the unlock feature from "/WebAdmin/Advanced/Configuration/Unknown Devices" works in 810???
Because it didn't work for me!!!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 07:35:43 am by ccoudsi »
Cheers |[BEER]
Charlie,