Author Topic: Install Problems (debootstrap error)  (Read 11459 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Install Problems (debootstrap error)
« on: May 25, 2006, 06:37:52 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I am new to Pluto and am using the 2.0.0.39 Kickstart CD. I have tried many many times to run this thing with a lot of problems.  

Here are my system specs
MB: ASUS P5s800-vm
CPU: Celeron 2.66
RAM: 768MB PC-3200
HD: WD250GB IDE ATA133
VID: Built on SIS AGPll
Capture: Hauppauge PVR350
Optical: LG-DVD Drive
Audio: Built on Audio
* This is only a test system. The actual core will be much more powerful. *

Here is a description of the problem. I start the system with the Kickstart CD and everything goes good up until the "Installing base system" part. Everytime I get to this part I get the following errors.

[!!] Install the base system
Couldn't download libss10.9.7.

[F3]
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
No matching physical volumes found
File descriptor 3 left open
File descriptor 4 left open
File descriptor 5 left open
File descriptor 6 left open
No volume groups found
Running all physical volumes. This may take a while...

[f4]
May 25 23:23:58 run-debootstrap[15997]: file://cdrom/dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/Packages was corrupt
May 25 23:23:58 run-debootstrap[15997]: file://cdrom/dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/Packages was corrupt
May 25 23:24:16 run-debootstrap[15997]: file://cdrom/pool/main/o/openssl/libssl0.9.7_0.9.7e-3_i386.deb was corrupt

After reading the above errors I thought it might be the cd it'self. I ended up burning about 10 CD's on diffrent machines I own including a MAC to ensure it wasn't the burners or anything like that. All 10 CD's gave me the same error. I switched out the DVD Drive in case that was the issue. It didn't help. I also switched the IDE cables with the same result. Thsi system used to have windows on it so I know the hardware is working.

I then took another system I had with much less power and tried the CD's and it worked fine?

I also ensured the internet connection was working for my test system because I had read on the forums that the offlien instlaation may not work.

After all this I am out of ideas. Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 05:48:44 pm »
Hi

Sorry for the delay. Your problem from above seems to be a bad CD. Other users report that writing the disc at a lower speed solved their problems, but they had problems at the end of the CD.

Try this.

If not, verify that your ISO file has the correct MD5 sum.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Still not working
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 04:18:41 pm »
Hi,

I downloaded a new CD. Confirmed the MD5 Hash. Burnt the CD at 1,2,4,6,8,12 speeds. All failed with the same problems as mentioned above.

Any other ideas?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 05:10:36 pm »
Hmm... Then its weird. For the moment, I have no explanation for this behavior. I'd have to dig into the installer to find out what's going on, as it seems to be working for the rest of the users... (as in "they didn't complain")

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 05:29:23 pm »
so where does that leave the issue. Is it just something that is what it is and I should try a diffrent machine?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 07:40:00 am »
This might be a fart in the wind, but i started an install on a machine that was working fine days before.  Had some weird errors, almost never the same one on subsequent retries.  turns out my pc started running too hot and died a couple of days later.  it could be just one more possibility to check before you bin the machine.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Freaking RAM
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 03:07:14 am »
The problem has been resolved. After tyring all the above I decided to run memtest 86 as a last resort. Sure enough, it found that the second bank of RAM was faulty. I have replaced it and the install runs perfectly fine now.

thanks to everyone for thier help.