Author Topic: NVIDIA TV-out s-video composite cable  (Read 7886 times)

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
NVIDIA TV-out s-video composite cable
« on: March 25, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »
I have an 8500GT which has a 7-pin "S-video" connector which apparently (http://ca.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=2&l2=6&l3=515&l4=0&model=1644&modelmenu=2) supports composite output "via S-Video to Composite"

The supplied cable is 7-pin "S-video" to 3xRCA component "HDTV out" cable.

What is the simplest way to connect to my old CRT TV which has composite and s-video inputs but no component?

Can I purchase any 4 or 7 pin S-Video to Composite adapter cable and expect it to work, or do I need to be weary of pin-outs?

And whatever I do, is there anything within linuxmce that needs to be done other than the obvious AVWizard settings?

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NVIDIA TV-out s-video composite cable
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 05:58:34 pm »
A standard s-video cable should plug directly into this port, since your tv supports s-video, just grab an s-video cable and plug it up. Run the AVWizard and press 2 (might not be 2 for s-video, check wiki) to get it to show up.

The video card usually comes with an adaptor to convert the 7 pins to component or composite if needed, but for just s-video, all you need is the cable.

edit:

if you want composite instead of s-video, make sure your card didnt come with a cable that converts it, but from what you described, a standard s-video cable will work perfectly fine for you
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 06:00:40 pm by Pnuts »

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 06:00:26 pm »
Thank you!

Nigle

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:08:48 am »
Most NVIDIA cards can also output the composite over the blue which is weird to me because in the a/v world you mostly do that over the green.  I have used it several times this way in windows on different desktop cards and laptops.  If you don't want to buy an S-video cable you can just try it.  S-Video is a better signal though because it is component but It is hard to see the difference between the two unless you have an image or video on screen with many lines close together going in the same direction.

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 03:53:39 pm »
Most NVIDIA cards can also output the composite over the blue which is weird to me because in the a/v world you mostly do that over the green.  I have used it several times this way in windows on different desktop cards and laptops.  If you don't want to buy an S-video cable you can just try it.  S-Video is a better signal though because it is component but It is hard to see the difference between the two unless you have an image or video on screen with many lines close together going in the same direction.

Just to clarify, S-Video is not Component.

Composite caries video over 1 wire
S-Video carries video over 2 wires
Component carries video over 3 wires. Component supports HDTV resolutions while s-video and composite do not.

See this link for more information: http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/svideo.html

Nigle

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 04:31:31 pm »
Sorry if I was being rude.  I really don't like being mean.  I was a little offended about being corrected when there was no correcting needed.  I'll just leave this thread alone now and reference back to my previous suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:16:18 pm by Nigle »

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 06:26:13 pm »
I always enjoy "I'm smarter than you" commentary that have absolutely nothing to do with the original question. for fun, here is your "3-wire" component cable http://ezflatscreen.com/catalog/wire-component-cable-25ft-p-55.html

S-Video is separated video (luminance and chrominance), it carries the color information as one signal. Component is component video, and the color information is seperated and allows for much highjer bandwidth. Using the dictionary definition of component to describe s-video is just plain stupid.

davegravy, you could try this s-video to RCA adapter: http://www.svideo.com/svideorca.html

davegravy

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 06:29:51 pm »
Technically anything that carries two or more separate SIGNALS is considered component. That being said, the consumer understands "component" to mean 3xRCA (6 conductor, 3 signal) and "S-video" means 4 conductor, 2 signal. Different words mean different things to different people.

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 07:23:59 pm »
Nigle, i believe we are talking about the exact same thing but using different terminology. I used the word signal for a reason...

Composite is 2 wires, 1 carries the video signal, the 2nd is ground
Svideo is 4 wires, 2 carry the video signal, the 2nd 2 are grounds
Component is 6 wires, 3 carry the video signal, the remaining 3 are grounds

As mentioned, the consumer refers to component as 3xrca or RGB. Google Component to easily see this.

Had you bothered to click my link before responding you would have seen this.   :-*

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:25:33 pm »

Composite caries video over 1 wire
Composite carries the signal over 2 wires, one cable.

S-Video carries video over 2 wires
S-Video carries the video over 4 wires, and is two components Y/C

Component carries video over 3 wires. Component supports HDTV resolutions while s-video and composite do not.
I have never seen any Component signal carried over 3 wires.  If you know of one please let me know.  I think you are referring to YPbPr which most people call RGB.  In RGB your sync(horizontal and vertical) are carried over the green cable(Y).  There is a 4 cable component signal where you break off the sync from the other components, this is commonly called RGBS.  You can also have 5 cables carrying the signal where the horizontal and vertical are separated from each other, which people call RGBHV H=Horizontal V=Vertical.  This RGBHV type signal is the EXACT same video signal as what is carried by your one VGA cable with 15 pin D-Sub connectors.  I can go into far more detail but I really don't even know if you would understand.  Please do some research on the topic by opening a book.

Please, if you don't know what you are talking about, don't speak.  S-Video IS component.  Component is a general term that means the video signal is broken up into different components.  There is a reason it is called a S-video cable and not an s-video wire, cables are composed of wires and not the other way around.

See this link for more information: http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/svideo.html
I am not even going to go to the link you posted.  If that site is where you did get your information, it is as misguided as you are.

Nigle - this post is inappropriate. Please check your tone again before posting.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 03:03:20 pm »
Nigle - this post is inappropriate. Please check your tone again before posting.

I feel that this is inappropriate, if you have a problem with his tone then just say so.  I agree that the tone is a bit (maybe to) aggressive (yeah, look who's talking) and getting personal, but next thing we're going to need a review committee on what is "appropriate" or not.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 04:19:28 pm »
technically speaking, Y/C is a bit of both. It has component signals (Y and C) but the colors are still a composite. In "consumer wording", component clearly refers to YUV/RGB with sync on green over 3 wires (usually coax with cinch or bnc connectors).

br, Hari
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation