Author Topic: EASY CAP usb device as a capture card  (Read 3690 times)

ste_b_79

• View Profile
EASY CAP usb device as a capture card
« on: August 28, 2008, 11:25:45 pm »
Hi All

I am just starting out setting up LinuxMCE on an old box (I intend to use it as a hybrid).

It is connected to a TV using DVI from the AGP graphics card to the DVI port on the TV.

I only have two PCI slots on the motheboard of this old computer (Dell Precision Workstation 650) - one is for the 2nd Network Card and the other I intend to use for my CCTV capture card (4 BNC connectors for my analogue cameras). So I am in need of a USB capture device.

I have seen an advert for the EASY CAP usb capture device (http://www.amazon.com/EasyCap-Capture-Adapter-Editor-Software/dp/B001BWU8US), and am wondering if anyone else has had experience with it in LinuxMCE (can't find anything in this forum, but when I googled EASY CAP LINUX I have found some people have had some success - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=662531)

If you do not think this device would work easily enough, can you recommend anything else?

I am not that fussed about having the TV tuner, I just need the composite connections (RCA - Yellow, Red, White - all though I could feed the audio channels into the soundcard with an RCA to 3.5mm cable - which I already have). I have a Virgin Media cable box (Samsung SMT 2110C) which only has two scart outputs (marked TV and VCR). I already have a scart to composite cable. I understand that to have LinuxMCE change the channels on the Virgin Media Box i need a IR blaster (USB UIRT), which I would also need to buy.

If there are USB TV tuners (DVB-T) which have the composite imput connectors, can you recommend any which will work easily with linuxmce (and don't cost to much). I already have an S-Video to composite cable if that helps (TV tuner with S-Video input).

If there are no USB TV tuner cards with composite or S-Video input, then I suppose I should remove my 2nd network card and buy a USB network card.
* Do these work ok with LinuxMCE?
* Is it best to use them on the LAN/Internal side and let the motherboard one be the WAN/External

Thanks in advance

Ste

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
Re: EASY CAP usb device as a capture card
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 09:14:18 pm »
Ste,

I should be recieving the Easy Cap USB device tomorrow.  I would also like to know if they work

Jason

Techstyle

• Addicted
    • View Profile
    • Techstyle UK Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 08:48:48 pm »
I have some of the EASY CAP devices and would like to get this working.  If a developer would like to get this working I will provide the one free of charge.  This device is inexpensive and I think this would be a good addition to the project.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 09:36:19 pm »
Provided there is kernel support, I can do the necessary work to support this device for my usual fee.

-Thom