Author Topic: Insteon Support  (Read 3699 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon Support
« on: May 25, 2006, 05:14:14 pm »
Is there a plan and a date in place to implement insteon support. I have started to see other manufactures other then smart home creating insteon devices and I would like to know when I can start using Pluto with my insteon network.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon Support
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 01:26:58 am »
I haven't tried this, but Insteon is supposed to be back compatible with X10, so theoretically it should be able to get X10 codes which pluto already supports.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, please.

Anycase, once you figure it out, post it on the new wiki:
plutohome.elwiki.com

Cheers,
Sevak

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon Support
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 04:23:56 pm »
It is true it can receive X10 codes. However if I wanted an X10 network I would have bought the much cheaper X10 switches.

I don't mean to come off snotty. I have just heard a lot of horor stories of X10 and I don't want to go trhough that. So I researched all the newer stuff and Insteon has huge potential.

If I were a programer or had some type of refrence on how to start adding Insteon support for Pluto I would take it on myself. However no one has said go to this webpage and it will teach you what you need to know about doing it your self nativly. Heck maybe that should be my next question. Someone give me a refrence and I will do it. I am a smart guy and if I had some materials on what to do rather then the make a generic serial driver I can do it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon Support
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 06:48:03 pm »
You misunderstood.  Insteon's advantage is that each module is also a repeater.  That's why it works so well and has greater coverage.  This means that using even crappy X10 protocol, it will repeat the signal to all other Insteon modules.  Think of it like this: you're using a higher quality phone system but you're still speaking in English.  If you spoke in Spanish, the call quality will still be just as high.  Different language/protocol but the quality is still better.

So you can have an Insteon network with Insteon quality but use X10 protocols.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon Support
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 09:21:11 pm »
It states on Smarthomes website that the Insteon devices will not repeat X10 signals. It can certainly receive the X10 signals but it would not repeat them. So I would still need to bridge my two phases or what ever it is called at a 220 plug like you have to in X10.

I have never used X10 so I would literally be creating an X10 and Insteon network at the same time. I would have to by and X10 controller and all that stuff. I am starting from the ground up and not using X10.

Again not being snotty but X10 while it was great in it's day is being slowly replaced. I don't want to purchase legacy products that are going to be phased out be things like Insteon.

Now granted who is to say Insteon is going to be king in the end. No way to tell. But I do at least see Insteon products for Window blinds and sprinklers and so on coming out so it looks like it has really gained momentum considering how new the technology is.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon Support
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 02:09:02 pm »
I stand corrected.  Too bad that it doesn't repeat X10 signals.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Insteon Support
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 03:16:32 pm »
You are correct that it would be simple to control if they could do what you are talking about.