Author Topic: "Tough Love In This Forum"  (Read 11468 times)

jthodges

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: "Tough Love In This Forum"
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 10:45:45 pm »
hari, et al.:

I just wanted to chime in and commend you for making this effort.  In my opinion, LMCE has some unique challenges as an open-source project in that it takes a larger investement to get involved than your average project, both in terms of hardware and time.  I know that for me, when I started considering jumping in I was a little nervous about that investment because of these obstacles to it's growth.  In other words, when you see some of the harsher reactions or profile-editing, it makes you question (1) am I okay with joining that community myself and (2) will that stop other people from jumping in, thereby damaging my own investment as the project fizzles out.  There's a similar dilemma when considering jumping into the code.  I personally got past those things and am slowly learning my way around the code, but it certainly makes me feel much better to see that you guys are taking this seriously and willing to take action.  In short, thanks once again, and I look forward to seeing how the new moderators work out!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 01:42:10 am »
I see that we have censorship on the forum now, this just keeps getting better and better.  Or can't I say that either?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 01:46:10 am »
I see that we have censorship on the forum now, this just keeps getting better and better.  Or can't I say that either?

Of course you can say that! Its not rude or unhelpful or abusive, its your opinion

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 01:48:59 am »

Of course you can say that! Its not rude or unhelpful or abusive, its your opinion
Wow thanks, so which one of you "wonderful people" feels like he needs to censor me?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 02:11:04 am »
I think I must be missing something, I'm not sure where you feel something was specifically directed at you. Do you mean in this particular thread, or are you referring to something else I don't know about (or missed!)

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 02:18:54 am »
lets close this one
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 02:55:19 am »
This topic has been closed.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 03:00:48 am »
I would say, given the subject of the thread, it was still "on topic", and the thread hadn't become abusive or argumentative in any way.... if we get consensus on the charter, I would follow the "light touch" principle and leave this one open. However, I am not going to second guess anyone until that charter has been approved! I think Andrew's comment about being consistent with each other and the principles of the charter are critical here. Although the thread might not have been terribly useful, it isn't for the moderators to kill off discussion in subjective calls unless one of the principles has been breached.

There, I've had my say :)

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 03:25:05 am »
Hari and I discussed this and decided it should be closed. But I agree, once we approve the charter, then we can have more controls around how we proceed.