Author Topic: Pluto Home WIKI created  (Read 9392 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« on: May 21, 2006, 09:25:21 pm »
After some suggestions on this forum, a Wiki has been created at:

http://plutohome.elwiki.com

Please start contributing to that wiki.  It may be a good idea to consolidate useful information from these forums into the wiki.

Since the wiki is new, there aren't any files there yet.  Hopefully, the open source community can contribute to this project more.

Cheers,
Sevak

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 01:37:45 pm »
Hi,

I'd kindly ask for quick guidance how to contribute to wiki pages (I'm total Wiki newbie).

Can I add sections ? I'd like to add section for "SW Interfaces" for code snippets for GSD drivers and Perl or other scripts ...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Wiki tips
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 03:02:29 pm »
Hi Rob,

Ok, I created a section on the main page called Misc with SW Interfaces as the bottom right-most item.

If anyone has suggestions as to what sections to put in there, please let me know.  I was just trying to get the wiki going asap and have not thought out the best format.

Tips on wiki:
Create an account to track your work and see if anyone is making changes to it.

If you are editing a page and want to reference a new wiki page, use [[name]] to create a link to a new page that will allow someone else to edit it.

Creating a table (like the one on the main page):

This starts your table:
{|
|+ Table Name
|- New row
| Item in current row
| [[Link to a new page.]]  If it is not created already, this will allow someone to create it.
! Heading of row/column
This is the end of your table:
|}

Example
{| class="wikitable" width="300" style="text-align:center; background:#efefef; width:75%; border:1px solid black"
|+'''Sections'''
|-
! [[Multimedia]]
| [[Media Directors]]
| [[Orbiters]]
| [[MythTV]]
| [[Xine]]
|-
! [[Security]]
| [[Alarms]]
| [[IP Cameras]]
| [[Analog Cameras]]
| [[Motion]]
|-
! [[Automation]]
| [[Lights]]
| [[Appliances]]
| [[Thermostats]]
| [[Irrigation]]
|-
! [[VOIP]]
| [[Asterix]]
| [[Service Providers]]
| [[Video Phone]]
|-
! [[Misc]]
| [[GSD]]
| [[GC100]]
| [[SW Interfaces]]
|}

Linking to external sites ex:
[http://plutohome.com Pluto Home]

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:48:37 pm »
Hi,

just quick question. Do I have to type Tables and similar gadgets or can I enter them through some kind of gui (I see only basic icons when editing page)...

Regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 02:32:48 am »
Sevak,

As you already know, the Plutohome support pages already contain loads of information. Do you think it would be a good idea to copy and paste some of the useful stuff to the wiki, just to get things started, and then improve where needed?

Is this ok with Pluthome?

-Rob CB

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 01:23:48 am »
Rob T.:

I'm not an expert in wikis, but have written some.  I've never seen a gui for it, but creating tables is fairly simple.  I see that you actually figured it out already and contributed to the wiki.  Cool!!  Having your code there is awesome!!

Rob C.:

As you already know, the Plutohome support pages already contain loads of information. Do you think it would be a good idea to copy and paste some of the useful stuff to the wiki, just to get things started, and then improve where needed?

I think that's a GREAT idea!  Rob T. was also hinting at this in an earlier thread.  If you can fish through the stuff and start putting it up, that would be a tremendous help to everyone.  Since I'm still a bit new to the pluto forum, so I'd need to search through many threads to find useful stuff.  But people who've been here a while may already remember that solutions exist to some problems and would find them easier.  Copy & Paste would be great for this.  We'll worry about cleaning it up and formatting it later.

Cheers,
Sevak

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 02:35:57 am »
Pulling useful stuff from the forums and posting it the wiki is essential. But I was actually talking about copying Plutohome created documentation from the Pluto Support pages. This of course will be redundant in many cases, but I believe we can create a more organized, concise and useful version of their documentation.

Does anyone know if this would be allowed under their copyright?

-Rob CB

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 06:22:29 pm »
Yes, that makes sense and will be very useful.

Okay, let's ask the pluto guys if they're okay with it.  I'll ask it in a top-level post so that they see the question.  I doubt they would mind since it is to their benefit.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 12:57:58 am »
Quote from: "sevprime"
Yes, that makes sense and will be very useful.

Okay, let's ask the pluto guys if they're okay with it.  I'll ask it in a top-level post so that they see the question.  I doubt they would mind since it is to their benefit.

You know what would be really good? If the pluto staff showed that they still care about the community by saying anything in this thread (or the previous one).

Oh well, it's good to have a dream.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 03:01:50 pm »
We're currently very busy as we aproach a new release.
Already exists a support website http://plutohome.com/support/ that offers bunch of documentation.
If the users of pluto wants to share experince with others and create a separate page, then i don't think that we can't stop you.
Anyway, that page is not under our responsability or copyright.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 05:57:59 pm »
Well, itai ... sometimes dreams come true ..... but I guess you were thinking about a slightly different one  :lol:

Honeslty I also was thinking to a different kind of answer, a bit different from basically saying "Since you really can't refrain from doing it, so do it but beware you are on your own".

Nevertheless (let's be a bit positive) better this one instead of a "Don't even dare to try"

So by my side I will read the above Pluto Staff official answer as a "Yes, go ahead".

Let's hope that the upcoming new release will shortly see the light (I'm eagger to have a try) so Pluto guys will have a lot LESS pressure on them and they maybe will be able to see things in a more relaxed way.

Regards
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2006, 08:42:07 pm »
Marco,

I like your positive attitude!  Ok then, it's a "go".  Let's start filling up the wiki with as much info as possible including the existing pluto documentation.

And, as you said, hopefully the pluto staff will relax a bit and understand that we're trying to help them, too.

See you on the wiki!

Kindest regards,
Sevak

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2006, 04:15:39 pm »
We started to move our documentation from http://plutohome.com/support/ into a wiki (powered by MediaWiki too), but this process will take some time.

We have the intention to merge that documentation with the data you collected at http://plutohome.elwiki.com/, so we'll have everything in a single place.

Hope this will help.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2006, 04:43:40 pm »
Vali,

That sounds great.  If you give us the wiki's website, we'll be able to do much of this work for you so that it doesn't take as long.  Otherwise, let us know what we can help with.  Many of us on the forum are willing to help.

Kindest regards,
Sevak

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Pluto Home WIKI created
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 04:40:24 pm »
I finished the import of the documentation from our support site, and I also imported the docs from your wiki (we use the same wiki engine, so import was quite easy).

You can find it here and need to be registered in order to make changes. Unfortunatelyy, I couldn't imported the users and pass from our central database (they are encrypted and use different algorithm than wiki), so you need to create new users.

Hope this will help.
Vali.