Author Topic: CD install fail  (Read 3244 times)

piusvelte

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
CD install fail
« on: March 23, 2009, 06:58:03 pm »
Hi,
I have a fresh install of kubuntu on my first media director, and have the cd iso's dl'd. When I double click the installer, it recognizes my core and starts the install but fails at installing pluto-app-server. The message is that it can't find the package. I've enabled multiverse, universe and restricted repositories and have been searching for which repository that the package is in with no luck. Which repository is needed, or what should I try?
Thank you!

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: CD install fail
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:44:04 pm »
Have you read any instructions on how to set up an MD?? The FAQ, etc? Please start there, as you are on completely the wrong track before you start....

You don't "install" anything on an MD.... they don't have hard drives to install things on! Turn on the MD with it connected to the LMCE network, ensure the BIOS is set to PXE boot, then let it boot from the network, the core will do everything else.

piusvelte

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 08:12:37 pm »
I've read and am following the instructions. I don't know if you have but they say that you can start from a kubuntu install, download the cd iso's, mount and unpackage the installer to the desktop, and double click the installer. The link above is near the instructions that say "Although it often possible to netboot other PCs to be used as Media Directors (from the Core or hybrid server), it is not necessarily always successful. Many users will therefore also choose to install LinuxMCE directly on a PC that will be be used as a Media Director, often placing it on a separate partition from the native OS.". That's what I'm trying to do. Any help would be great.

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:59:17 am »
I've read and am following the instructions. I don't know if you have but they say that you can start from a kubuntu install, download the cd iso's, mount and unpackage the installer to the desktop, and double click the installer. The link above is near the instructions that say "Although it often possible to netboot other PCs to be used as Media Directors (from the Core or hybrid server), it is not necessarily always successful. Many users will therefore also choose to install LinuxMCE directly on a PC that will be be used as a Media Director, often placing it on a separate partition from the native OS.". That's what I'm trying to do. Any help would be great.

Sorry to say but that Wiki page contains outdated and currently incorrect info.

Download a DVD iso and install LinuxMCE-0710 onto a machine with a suitable spec for a Core (the DVD will erase the partition/drive you install too... be AWARE of this!). Now you can attach another machine with hardware suitable for an Media Director to the LAN side network of your Core (having first set the Media Directors NIC for pxe boot in BIOS)...if you hardware is in spec then the prospective Media Director will pxe boot and add itself (it will be ID'd by its NIC's Mac Address) to your Core... this will not install any software on any drives inside the Media Director (although is may well detect their presence and give you the opportunity to make their storage available to the Network).

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 01:01:02 am »
That is old information, "disked" MDs are no longer supported in 0710. There were stability and synchonisation issues with it, so it was removed as a feature. It is likely that it will be added back in at some point, but not yet. It is possible to hack one to be disked rather than diskless, but for these reasons it is highly inadvisable. I have removed that section from the wiki to prevent confusion... if you find any other references to this, could you please send them to me so that I can correct them?

In the meantime, the answer for you is just to configure your BIOS to PXE/Network boot, and turn it on. This will trigger the core to set it up as a diskless MD. These work very well and are easy to set up. The only issue you may encounter is, if you have already started to set this PC up and the core has seen it, it may recognise it by MAC address and not trigger the auto-setup process. If this is the case, you should see an MD device in the Devices Tree on the web admin console. You can delete this device and reload the router, then reboot the MD PC again and it should trigger the set up.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 01:02:36 am »
Yes, what he said! Use the DVD to install your core, then just boot your MD. The other option that an MD's internal HDD can be used for, is a swap partition that will probably improve the performance a little, but certainly not essential.

piusvelte

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 02:10:28 am »
Thank you both for your help and I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll try out PXE booting. I'm already up and running with a dedicated core. I'm looking to setup wiimote support on this particular md. Do I pxe boot it and then follow the wiki instructions? So is that customized image now stored on the core for future pxe boots of that particular md? Thanks again. Hopefully I'll be able to start contributing to the documentation if nothing else, once I'm up to speed.