Author Topic: LMCE Launch Manager - name change suggestions please  (Read 5766 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
LMCE Launch Manager - name change suggestions please
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:06:26 am »
As I am starting to wrap up the Launch Manager port, and as the direction and purpose of this application has changed to be a daemon - I think we need to rename it so that its purpose is clear, and to stay in tune with normal Linux naming conventions (including the package name, executable name, and source directory name). Right now, I am suggesting:

lmced (LinuxMCE daemon)

And as for any GUI front ends (that will connect via socket) that will eventually be made, we could call those lmced-client (LinuxMCE daemon client).

Just wanted to get some input before I just push such a drastic change through

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: LMCE Launch Manager - name change suggestions please
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 07:17:23 am »
Perhaps you should actually have the word launch in there somewhere, otherwise it might suggest that all of LMCE is contained in that daemon! lmceld | launchd | sumfinelse :)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 10:40:22 am »
Also keep in mind that the original name is a bit leading (Launch Manager)..  Sure, it can launch certain things on button presses (reloading the router, starting/stoping the core, etc) - but the biggest role it plays is doing cleanup when starting or reloading... Things such as running update scrips like UpdateAvailableSerialPorts.sh, StartCoreServices.sh, starting/restarting all children devices, etc. It basically does all the little cleanup work that keeps things running smooth from reload to reload.
Another role the old Launch Manager played was to keep the user informed of what was going on while waiting for a bootup, reload or regen process. Thats what the separate clients are for now...

jester

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 07:35:29 pm »
Dispatcher / dispatchd

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 07:04:29 am »
Don't change it, Leave it like it is.
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

lmce3000

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:49:18 pm »
I agree with matrex, don't change it.

John.
* Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day
*Teach a man how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

boris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 05:05:19 pm »
I agree with others, if it is not broken do not fix it.

After reading the question again I change my mind .
I think - lmced, LMCE-client (LinuxMCE Dashboard).  Lower case for LMCE-client, I do not know how to prevent substitution to lmce when I type LMCE in lower case.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 06:16:11 am by boris »

Seer

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Gamehendge
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 05:55:51 am »
lmced makes perfect sense to me.  It's the perfect name.

It's not that "drastic" of a change.  I believe that "Launch Manager" doesn't mean "LinuxMCE daemon client" and could be confused with Launch docks.  lmced and lmced-client are exactly what I would be looking for if I came to this project from the greater Linux community.

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 08:04:55 pm »
+1 vote for lmced

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 06:37:18 am »
I like Colin's suggesting, lmceld.  LMCE Launch Daemon.   It's succinct, fits *nix style, and avoids suggesting that it contains all of lmce.

Also, I was a pluto user and thought of the Launch Manager as a double entendre - it launched the system and it was the 'launcher' within the pluto motif of moons and orbiter, etc.  Are we moving away from that terminology?

And thanks again to all the 0810 team for doing the heavy lifting!
joseph