Author Topic: media director dual boot?  (Read 3204 times)

Waifrelic33

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
media director dual boot?
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:48:19 pm »
 can you have a dual boot system with mce and xp on the same rig.This system being a media director using the cd method of installing and not the dvd one as that would wipe the disk correct or no?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: media director dual boot?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 12:21:43 am »
As a pure MD, yes, easily - but you don't install anything (DVD or otherwise), you just tell your BIOS to boot from the network and it will boot from your LMCE core/hybrid machine over the network.

As for installing the actual core/hybrid as a dual boot machine - no, not really that would be to misunderstand the system. The core/hybrid needs to be on all the time and to be a router between your Internet connection and the rest of your home network. That doesn't lend itself to dual booting. Set up a true core machine and leave it on permanently. Then on your XP machine, you can boot from the network at will to get a Media Director (MD). In this mode, the XP PC will be a diskless machine, meaning it will essentially ignore the local harddrive... ie you don't need to install anything, and it will leave your XP hard drive untouched.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 05:29:27 pm »
can you have a dual boot system with mce and xp on the same rig

Yes, you can. And the way you do it, is by setting up your system to network boot.

When you run it as a media director, you will have the option under the Power menue of the orbiter, to restart your system as your Windows XP machine. To switch back to booting as an MD, you select again restart as MD from any orbiter, and be done with it, i.e. you don't have to mess with your BIOS each time to change your booting. You will always netboot, but if you have told lmce that you want to restart as Windows XP, the boot will fall thru to the local harddrive.

iirc, there is even a utility available that allows you to select the bootmode from within Windows.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 05:33:52 pm »
It seems, I did remember correct  :D

[http://192.168.80.1/pluto-admin/fdownload.php?filepath=installers/PlutoRebootSetup.msi]

should get you a switcher (there are a couple of other tools available, just follow the link from the login page of the web admin.