Author Topic: Integrated Recipes Module  (Read 23202 times)

Pablo

• View Profile
Re: Integrated Recipes Module
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2009, 03:48:22 am »
Hopefully I am not barging in here, I have been lurking for quite a while.

It seems like several things would be of benefit here:
1. Recipe database. (recipe's ingredients cross referenced to UPC codes whenever possible).
2. foodstuff inventory of all food in house with UPC codes whenever possible.
3. Lookup of foodstuff's to find closet location, lowest price.
4. Generation of shopping list and map to mobile orbiter. Shopping list based on low inventory, expired perishables, and selected recipe's queued.
5. Orbiter support for built in camera eye or for laser bar code reader to manage inventory (Simply scan bar code on usage or purchase and update or decrement inventory).

If anyone is to implement this it would of great value to hook it up to a web service such as Google base or http://en.barcodepedia.com. These are used by Compare Everywhere and Shop Savvy. These apps (on the G-Phone) take a bar code from the camera input and then return the price of the item at local stores and internet stores.

On the home automation system, something like this would keep your foodstuff inventory, then when you generate your shopping list, you can be told where you can buy the items in your current list, with preferences given to the closest location to you, or the cheapest price in town, quality of fresh foods, etc. When your list is generated, you get a handy map showing where to buy each item and the shopping list and map are uploaded to the smart phone your orbiter is installed on. Mark off the products as you buy them by scanning them with your camera eye and then your local database is updated with the new inventory. Scan something using your phone's camera and if it is not in your local database, or known about by Google bases, you can choose to add the info manually.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 09:29:07 am »
We anxiously await your patches for a new module...

*SCNR*

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 10:41:39 am »
Hi,

I will express my opinion regarding recipes module. IMHO it would be more generic if we could integrate content from Wordpress or some other blogging engine - recipes can then be just a special category, among other categories that will be usefull to display on Orbiters (Diary, Todos,....)

Just my opinion....

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 05:06:15 pm »
Well, you already have the ability to go into computing and browse the web.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 05:22:19 pm »
You can do that now, bulek, however. I think doing this as a working orbiter screen is a much better idea.

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 07:22:23 pm »
You can do that now, bulek, however. I think doing this as a working orbiter screen is a much better idea.

I agree... What would be fine is some set of Orbiter screens (browsing on higher level is similar to media, then go down into text...) that would display text container that some sort of data provider plugin will provide... But I guess I'm just repeating what is probably already on todo lists...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

rvetruba

• View Profile
Re: Integrated Recipes Module >> Assisted Cooking
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 07:54:57 am »
I think LMCE is uniquely positioned to be central to "assisted cooking".

My brother was an engineer for Pillsbury, and per their research, they categorize all meals into 1 of 3 dominant categories:
 - heat and eat i.e. microwave dinners  (about 25% of the market)
 - semi customized (about 70% of the market)
 - from scratch (about 5%; polarized between gourmet chef types and ethic immigrants who do this to save money)

I'm guessing there are not yet available (but why not?) faucets that can dispense water by measurement i.e. 1 cup; Z-wave or Insteon ovens, etc. ...these devices, coupled a step-by-step instructions could really make an expert chef out of anyone capable of following directions.

re: inventory control, it would be SO much more efficient if there a way to get the information from the store i.e. receipt (scan the reciept? Take a picture with an iPhone? Bluetooth receipt like in Japan?) - thus avoiding having to re-scan everything with probably would not end up saving much time.

Last, I think the way a human relates to an orbiter is highly contextual...? I.e. the orbiter in the home theater or living room is probably used most often for entertainment, so while it should be able to control the whole house, it would make sense for the on-screen real estate to be primarily dedicated to home entertainment... orbiter by the door is probably for entry/exit/security... an orbiter in the kitchen is probably all about food, and morning routines i.e. kids off to school.

Anyway, I'd LOVE to have some help cooking - and I'm a great chef (per my girlfriend, ha ha) and believe LMCE has the guts to control my kitchen as well as it does the rest of the house.

Roger
some noob user who loves good food

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 09:05:34 am »
Indeed, some interesting devices could be made for in-kitchen use pairing them up as sensor combos and simple relay control.

As for separate screens, I think that we could look to see how to best implement a room override for the Screen_Designobj table, (Screen_DesignObj can be used to place overrides for a given screen on a per-skin basis.)

At the very least, you can set PK_Screen values in the web admin by going to Advanced > Configuration > Devices, and change the PK_Screen number to another screen in the Screen table, a new screen would have to be created using ScreenGen, Since this would be a control screen, I don't see a need to implement any custom screen handlers.

Just some thoughts,
-Thom

bulek

• Administrator
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2009, 10:57:44 am »
Indeed, some interesting devices could be made for in-kitchen use pairing them up as sensor combos and simple relay control.

As for separate screens, I think that we could look to see how to best implement a room override for the Screen_Designobj table, (Screen_DesignObj can be used to place overrides for a given screen on a per-skin basis.)

At the very least, you can set PK_Screen values in the web admin by going to Advanced > Configuration > Devices, and change the PK_Screen number to another screen in the Screen table, a new screen would have to be created using ScreenGen, Since this would be a control screen, I don't see a need to implement any custom screen handlers.

Just some thoughts,
-Thom

Hi,

I agree. This would be great enhancement, not only for recipes, but also for other things that provide content to user...

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.