Author Topic: Unable to install CD2 of Linuxmce  (Read 2124 times)

carters51

• First post!
    • View Profile
Unable to install CD2 of Linuxmce
« on: March 17, 2009, 04:37:56 am »
Forgive me I am new to the Linux scene. Ever since I seen the LinuxMCE video I have been trying to install it on my HTPC. Using the install DVD I was unable to install the package due to it going black screen as soon as clicking install Kubuntu. I recently had Ubuntu 8.10 on it but wanted the Kubuntu look with MCE. Since the DVD did not work for me. I reloaded Ubuntu 8.10 and added the Kubuntu package. Now since I loaded that I have downloaded the 2 cd package to my computer but it says that the path does not exist. I have downloaded it to my documents but it will not see. I have tried every variation of <cd c:/home/lance/documents>.So I went the other route of using the install disks. This time the CD1 did not start automatically so I went into the folder and ran the mce-installer and it said it was finished but it did not ask for CD2. Per the instructions it states to install both CDs per doing the last step. I cannot manually do the other since the ISO does not contain a mce-installer just a folder named cached1-cache. I thought that it may just be the mirrors that I downloaded from but I have tried several mirrors. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks I am dying to see MCE in action.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: Unable to install CD2 of Linuxmce
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 04:44:42 am »
Please read the faq ... You will find kubuntu 0710 is required if installing via CD
Or 0710 Kubuntu is preinstalled with the DVD .

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to install CD2 of Linuxmce
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:06:58 am »
Please don't use the CDs unless you have a specific reason to do so. The DVD is easier and much faster (40mins cf 3+hrs)

Download the DVD image using the torrent, not the ftp mirrors

Burn the DVD at your burner's lowest possible speed (this is critical)

Boot your machine from this DVD - note that this will erase everything on the drive you point it to, your "core" LMCE server should be dedicated to the task and always on, otherwise you will not be able to get LMCE working properly.

Also note, that it is very important that your 'core' LMCE server has two NICs, one connected to your Internet router, the other connected to your internal, house network - LMCE will mediate all communications between the internal network and the Internet... again this is very important for a setup to work properly.

Ideally, use nVidia graphics chipsets, and if they are newer chips, then you will probably need to install the latest drivers from nVidia before you get an image - instructions on the wiki under Display Drivers... very easy to follow and reliable.