Author Topic: cant get to boot from DL DVD amd 64  (Read 2293 times)

Vykos

• First post!
    • View Profile
cant get to boot from DL DVD amd 64
« on: March 10, 2009, 03:13:08 pm »
ok, this is a noob problem i know but for some reason the DLdvds that ive created do not seem to be bootable. now yes i did check to make sure my dvdrom works, and i set it to boot from cd, and i even loaded the boot selector and tried to boot from cd. now i know that all my hardware works because i booted a knoppix cd to test it. right now i have ubuntu on the machine, but i built it specifically to be a traveling media center that i can take wherever i go to use for movies and what not. please someone tell me what i am doing wrong... i am getting so frustrated i could just scream... thanks... oh yea, i dont want to run a live cd. i just want to know how to boot it so i can install it.... dur.

~v~
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 04:04:29 pm by Vykos »

PAUL9929

• View Profile
Re: cant get to boot from DL DVD amd 64
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 02:18:50 am »
Hi, I am also fairly new at this too, just got my hybrid core running a few days ago. I was loading the 32 bit version on an AMD64 mainly because of some of the other post that I had read recommending the 32 bit version over the 64. Anyway here are a couple of the problems that I ran into that you may also be experiencing.  Make sure your you have a good download, this first one I had was bad (There are posts about how to verify) the other thing I found out was that my new sata DVD  drive would not boot a DVD on the core, I pulled out an old IDE drive and was able to boot fine using that.

Hope that this helps,

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 03:43:48 am »
All good suggestions. Yes, use i386 version not AMD64 unless you have a very good reason (no it will not give you noticably more performance). Why are you using the DL disk? Just use the single layer one, again unless there is a good reason.

SATA DVD drives have been known to have issues booting from DVDs, occasionally it is just the cable... people have had this issue several times with IDE drives. And, of course, the drive itself could have an issue - if you have a spare it is worthwhile eliminating that possibility.

When you download the image, always use the torrent not the straight mirror download, as this will ensure there are no corruptions. When burning the disk, note that DVD-R's are more compatible with drives that DVD+R's, and RWs/RAMs are beyond the pale! But most importantly of all, it is critical that you burn at the slowest possible speed the drive supports. This will ensure there are no corruptions during the burn. The nature of the 'canned' DVD install is that it is a very large, monolithic tar file, which makes it particularly vulnerable even to small corruptions.

Finally, do make sure you are actually burning the .iso file as a DVD image, and you haven't just burned the .iso file itself to the DVD. The latter will not work, the image has to be expanded into a DVD then burned by your burning software. The contents of the DVD should be lots of files and folders. If all you see is a .iso file, then you haven't burned it correctly.

patmankn

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 12:53:59 am »
I experienced problems with the DVD Boot when i tried to to change language/keyboard/graphic settings at the kubuntu boot prompt. leaving everything alone worked most of the time. I tried the setting change on several dvds like 7.04/7.10, 32 & 64 bit, but was just left with a bunch of DVDs nice LMCE installation disks ;O)

Pat
Hybrid: MSI MS-7329,Nvidia 6150 onboard,AMD BE-2400,2gb RAM,Sharp Aqous LE 37X20E via MD Zotoc Ion Synergy,Terratec 1200 & Cinergy DT USB Diversity DVB-T, KNC ONE TV-Station DVB-C,WebDT366,Fiire Chief http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/User:Patmankn