Author Topic: New User wanting to get the core right  (Read 3355 times)

EBarnett

• View Profile
New User wanting to get the core right
« on: March 16, 2009, 03:34:05 pm »
I hope I am posting in the right place. I have wanted to build a Home Entertainment system for quite awhile and have dabbled in all the Windows based Mediaportal, TVersity type of programs. I had read some on MythTV, but since the only Linux box I had is a web server I keep in my basement and I wasn't the most confident building that, I had shied away from Myth. Well, that was until the magic LinuxMCE video. Now, I am ready to ditch any Mickeysoft solution for this. But, I want to get the core right first. I have some cat5 to run in my home since I have not seen that a wireless solution is not a suggested route. I usually order from Tigerdirect and have scoped out a couple of machines that I think would work really well, but each has the ATI chipset on board. It is that all ATI is a pain and I should truly go with NVIDIA, or can I get away with this onboard solution. That being said, if the NVIDIA is onboard is that an issue. I know shared video memory is always a major issue, but the barebones box I am looking at comes with 8GB of memory. Any input is greatly appreciated.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: New User wanting to get the core right
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 03:40:01 pm »
6x or 7x Nvidia will work OOB with LMCE 0710 anything else you will have to install drivers and such
Most of us use onboard  video, and sound.

8Gb is way over kill
2gb is plenty

HTH

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

EBarnett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 05:56:56 pm »
If I am wanting to use PVR functionality though, does 2GB still give me enough? I know I need to get a tv tuner with hardware conversion built in, but the sites I have found list older cards as well. The Hauppauge card that I have seen on Newegg are newer, but I haven't seen much in the line of how they are supported other than the 1800 not seeming to work at all. Thanks for the input as well. It is greatly appreciated.

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 06:22:11 pm »
The Pvr 150 250,350 500 from hauppauge work OOB with lmce. unfortunately they are discontinued , the hdhomerun is your best bet for 0710

Other cards can work but templates would need to be made for them to get the most out of lmce.

Tim

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 06:25:55 pm »
If I am wanting to use PVR functionality though, does 2GB still give me enough? I know I need to get a tv tuner with hardware conversion built in, but the sites I have found list older cards as well. The Hauppauge card that I have seen on Newegg are newer, but I haven't seen much in the line of how they are supported other than the 1800 not seeming to work at all. Thanks for the input as well. It is greatly appreciated.

The PVR functionality doesn't make that much difference, 2GB already has lots of 'fat' built in, you could achieve what you want with 1GB if you wanted. Going more than 2GB is just going to be wasted... remember, you haven't got all that bloat now you've moved from Windows!

Also, you didn't say anything about what you want to do with wirless.... so a point to note, Media Directors boot over the network using PXE, so wireless for them is not a good option (ie won't work unless you understand the mechanics and use something like a wireless bridge)... this is a limitation of all known BIOS's at this point, not actually anything to do with LMCE...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:28:17 pm by colinjones »

EBarnett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 06:43:27 pm »
I saw the Homerun box on Newegg. The only downside is I was wanting an internal card capable of HD since I would probably be building a hybrid box that was be in a visible area. The only reason I mention wireless is the home I purchased has a finished basement. Although the whole downstairs was wired for ethernet, none of the upstairs was. I would most likely be putting my box in my entertainment center upstairs as it is 1 of the two areas I have a Cable DVR that is set for HD. I went up into my attic this weekend to see if I can run CAT-5 which will be possible, but a royal pain. Love the finished basement but just wish they would have wired the whole house instead of half.

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:47:58 pm »
I only have 2 gigs of mem and it's the cheap brand.  HD digital television is fine.  Granted, I'm thinking of my ubuntu+mythtv box, but 2 gigs is plenty.  Really, the thing you'll want to focus on is the video card.  that will affect your video performance way more than ram.

tkmedia

• View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:47:06 pm »
The hdhomerun connects to the network via ethernet and therefore can be located just about anywhere

Tim

EBarnett

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 02:54:52 pm »
Thank you all for the advice. I guess the next step is to get my house wired up. Then the core. I appreciate the input though.