Author Topic: Hanging on Launch Manager  (Read 5762 times)

• First post!
    • View Profile
Hanging on Launch Manager
« on: March 13, 2009, 10:26:48 am »
Hi Guys,
I have installed LMCE from the DVD and have gone through the AV/Wizard successfully. My problems begin with launch manager. It starts off and begins to load "rendering screens" but then hangs. It hangs at different points after a restart and at one point I got to the stage of "Connecting to 127.0.0.1" Dont know what that means but it hung again and I had to try another reboot.
I have tried changing graphics cards and I get the same issues using both a XFX Geforce 8800GTS and an ATI Radeon 2400 card.
Does anyone know what could be causing this? One more thing to mention is the mouse busy symbol is active when the launch manager starts (you see the dots going around in a circle) but it stops shortly afterwards (hangs) or else it moves very very slowly.

I need some ideas on what could be causing this - maybe faulty hard drive?? Thanks for any response..

The system is as follows -
IDE CD/DVD ROM
SATA 80GB Hitachi 3.0 Gb/s
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 640 DDR3 or ATI Radeon HD 2400 256MB
2x1GB 240 pin DIMM XMS
Foxconn 975X7AA-8EKRS2H
Intel® Core™2 Quad processor
32" Samsung LCD TV connected via VGA

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
Re: Hanging on Launch Manager
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 08:11:49 pm »
Have you tried using just one of the cards for the initial setup? Using two diff. cards may be conflicting with each other. When dealing with video cards it's usaully better to have both the same cards.
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 09:42:28 pm »
Do you mean the OS completely hangs or just the LMCE start up? Have you ssh into the core with a console program such as Putty from another PC? Are you able to connect and log in? Try dmesg and reviewing other system log files such as /var/log/syslog|kern.log|messages for hardware errors.

Ditch the Radeon, stick with the nvidia - I presume you have installed the latest nvidia drivers otherwise you wouldn't have even got that far....

(matrex - there's no indication that both cards are in at the same time, in any case, X has already started which means the kernel was able to initialise the card)

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 10:44:38 pm »
Yes they do mention using both "I have tried changing graphics cards and I get the same issues using both a XFX Geforce 8800GTS and an ATI Radeon 2400 card" They say "and an" not "or"
As far as ditching the Radeon, I am using ATI in all of my MD's and core And not once have I had any trouble.
I am always seeing where people are having to tweak thier Nvidia cards just to get them to work. Now i'm not saying to swtch to ATI cards. That is for them to choose.
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 01:36:23 am »
yes, they say have tried both.... that doesn't mean at the same time!

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:25:55 am »
The system is as follows -
IDE CD/DVD ROM
SATA 80GB Hitachi 3.0 Gb/s
XFX Geforce 8800GTS 640 DDR3 or ATI Radeon HD 2400 256MB......

looks like or to me

very simple 6x and 7x nvidia work OOB with 0710 linuxmce.

anything else YMMV

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

piusvelte

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 01:33:13 pm »
I'm getting the same issue here. At different points during the 2 stages of generating screens, everything freezes. At first I thought the box was overheating, so I moved to a larger case with more fans, but it's still hanging and doesn't seem to be overheating. I'm using an intel board, 2.8GHz, 3G memory, on-board VGA, hardware RAID3 (5x400G SATA) on a PCI card, 2x400G SATA attached to the MB, and DVD-RW. Besides the keyboard and mouse, that's everything. The OS is installed on the RAID. I get through the Video/Audio setup and then the Launch Manager starts, and stalls. I've tried re-installing. Any ideas what the problem is?

Forgot to add, this is a DVD install, i386, rc2. I turned off hyperthreading in the bios, but that didn't resolve the issue. The software download in the Launch Manager says that it completes successfully. I've also tried booting without the on-board NIC disconnected, since my local network ip is 192.168.1.X, and LinuxMCE is set with a static ip 192.168.80.1, I believe. I plan to configure this dedicated core as the Domain Controller/DNS/DHCP server, once it's up and running, until then, I'd like it to be DHCP to play nice with the rest of the network.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:38:17 pm by piusvelte »

piusvelte

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 01:17:18 pm »
I installed an nvidia pci card and everything booted up fine. I even have KDE and the core booting on runlevel 2. Turns out it was all video related.