Author Topic: Finally, you can play your AVI/MP3 file and view your pics directly from CD/DVD  (Read 19189 times)

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
After a lot of blood sweat and tears, you can insert a data CD/DVD and view/play it's content without the need to copy the files to your storage.
Once you eject the dvd, the content, that was added automatically to your DB gets removed.
There are some limitations that need to be addressed and as my coding abilities are pretty limited, I'm still struggling with them and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Instructions
1. On your core, stop the media director.
2. Copy the Disc_Drive file to "/usr/pluto/bin" as root (Backup the original file first).
3. Copy the libDisc_Drive_Functions.so file to "/usr/pluto/lib", again as root (once again, backup your original file).
4. Restart your media director.

You can now insert any data disc into your core and after a few seconds it's content will apear on the appropriate media list (video/audio etc...) on the core as well as all your MD's. Clicking on it will play it with the appropriate player.

Limitations

1. This is a x86 ver. I don't have a 64 system to compile it on.
2. When you insert the disc on the core, you can view it on any MD in the house. It won't work if you try to put the disc on an MD.
3. The disc can only be ejected using the "manage drives" menu for now. Pressing the button will not release the disc.

Hopefully, these limitations will be fixed soon and this will become fully functional.

I hope you find this useful.

Itsik

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Applause for Itsik!

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
 ???
Hmm. I wonder if this also works with USB pen drives. I should try this when I get home tonight.

I'll post back.

Great find Itsik!

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Itsik - excellent work, we've been needing this!

You should put your source up, or at least a diff so that:
A) You could get some peer review and feedback
B) See why it only works on the core (with LMCE's internal structure, it should have worked everywhere, as the core and MD's all use the same packages)
C) Ensure it makes its way into 0810
D) Others with 64 bit architecture can try to compile and report their success
E) Remain in compliance with GNU

Again, excellent work, a lot of people have a need for this.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
???
Hmm. I wonder if this also works with USB pen drives. I should try this when I get home tonight.

I'll post back.

Great find Itsik!

Regards,

Seth

Seth - LMCE already works with pen drives just fine! Plug it in, let LMCE pnp it as an internal drive, then say use LMCE structure. It will set up the folders. Then do a reload. From then on, whenever you plug that thumb drive into that MD it will recognise it and scan any media in the folders into the database and you can play it like any other media source. The issue here is media on a CD or DVD just as media files rather than a proper CD or DVD audio/video disk.... optical drives are managed by the Disk_Drive device, and it only expects proper audio/video disks...

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
Thnx guys.  :)
As my internet connection is a bit shaky this week it's not vary easy to upload anything. I'll do my best upload the sources this week end.
I'll post here once it is uploaded.

Itsik
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:13:07 am by Itsik »

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
I opened a trac ticket and attached the source files as well as a diff.
It is located at http://svn.linuxmce.org/trac.cgi/ticket/142.

Itsik

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
way to go itsik!
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
Thnx Hari  :)
Any one had a chance to test it/fix it ?
I'd love to recieve some feedback.

Thnx
Itsik

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
i'm not at home till next weekend..
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
I couldn't get this to work  :(

I followed the steps here. The CD I tried definitely works. At first I thought it might be because I don't usually run the MD on my core, but I tried it with the MD running as well. Movie just doesn't appear in my video list on my (separate) MD.
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
Did you insert the cd into your core or an MD ?
This feature currently works using the core/hybrid optical drive only (the content can be accessed from any where).
We're currently working on getting it to work on MD's as well.

Itsik
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:50:53 am by Itsik »

dlewis

• Guru
    • View Profile
seriously nice work...

purps

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • If it ain't broke, tweak it
    • View Profile
I inserted it in my core - I browsed to the CD in KDE desktop and played the movie just to make sure everything was working. I then did a proper reset and tried again - nothing.

Any ideas would be much appreciated - this is something that I have wanted to do for a very long time. I take it other people have had success?

To replace the 2 files, I browsed to them in dolphin, copied them to a backup folder, and then I did a "sudo dolphin", deleted the files, and then cut + paste the downloaded ones into the appropriate location - is there any crime in doing it like this?
1004 RC :: looking good :: upgraded 01/04/2013
my setup :: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Purps

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
Basically, if everything is done correctly, when you insert the disc, you need to wait a few secs after which the files on your disc will apear in their appropriate media windows on every MD (mp3 under audio, avi under video etc.) from that point on, you treat them just like any other media file.

1. Did you stop your Media Director BEFORE copying the files (on the LinuxMCE launch manager there's a button to stop the MD) ?
2. Is your core 32bit or 64 ?

Itsik