Author Topic: NVIDIA 180 driver is amazing  (Read 5732 times)

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
NVIDIA 180 driver is amazing
« on: March 09, 2009, 03:49:44 am »
Guys, I've seen some other posts about this, but I had to chime in.  I tried out the new NVIDIA 180.11 driver which is stable and included in ubuntu 8.10 and I must say it looks amazing!  I've noticed a large reduction in tearing when using desktop effects and if I understand things correctly, it should improve UI2+alpha at least a little bit.  I hope the devs make sure that this driver is included in the latest release.  I've heard alot of good things about it and have seen for myself that it provides a much better video experience. 

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: NVIDIA 180 driver is amazing
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 01:36:09 pm »
HI,

are you using this driver with 0710 or 0810 alpha ?

Greetings
Viking

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:21:48 pm »
I'm using this driver actually on an ubuntu 8.10+mythtv box.  Right now, I'm using it because LMCE doesn't support my digital tuner yet.  Latest mythtv does.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 09:54:26 pm »
Guys - don't get all hot under the collar trying to project your guessed performance under LMCE of the new driver based on what you see on KDE desktop of a non-LMCE system! I have yet to see any real evidence that the new driver will change anything at all under LMCE.

Certainly, it is unlikely to improve the tearing issue "at least a little bit" as this seems to be a binary thing, either the bug is there or it isn't, it is not a performance thing as the same effect happens no matter how powerful your chipset is. Either way, the issue is triggered when you are using OpenGL + Compositing + Alphablending at the same time.... this is happening under UI2Alpha, but not on the KDE desktop, so you wouldn't even be triggering the issue.

I doubt very much that this issue will be fixed until nVidia get serious about responding to issues and bug reports like this. From what I understand, people have just been stonewalled when reporting this issue. And I can confirm that experience - I reported the bug to nVidia through their official process about 6 weeks ago, to absolute deafening silence. They didn't even bother to acknowledge I had contacted them, and I don't expect they ever will!

powerbits

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:49:48 am »
so it should give more power to 7.10 also?

the tearing is that a results of poor cpu power?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 11:53:35 am »
the tearing is that a results of poor cpu power?

NO!

Viking

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 03:29:10 pm »
Hi colin,

I tried 180.29 and it did not change any of the problems I have (not using alphabelnding)..

I am not using "OpenGL + Compositing + Alphablending" - just UI2 overlay. I will try to explain what I mean. In the movie surfsup you see a small part of a big drawing that is then "rolled" (slowly moving) downwards (showing what was not visible before)  and on the top right area I see some disturbance. 

Greetings
Viking

krys

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 05:21:45 pm »
maybe a thread is in order where people can post screen shots of their video issues and we can identify and label them so that everyone knows what their issue is and whether or not it can be fixed and how... of course I am not even sure if it is possible to screen capture when a video is playing on LMCE, but this would sure be nice.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 10:30:53 pm »
hmmm I think that might be a good idea, krys.... Not sure I follow viking's description.... I guess it vaguely sounds like tearing, but not the type of tearing we commonly talk about here... more the normal type that isn't sync'd. viking see if you can take a few pics of it. Might be a bit difficult with a CRT or even plasma, but an LCD you should be able to get a good pic of. For CRT, try a normal shutter speed, for LCD you might want to try a high shutter speed.

Look up nvidia-settings on the wiki, you should ensure that your vblank/sync settings are both on.