Author Topic: Two small issues with LCD TV  (Read 4259 times)

UNi

• Veteran
  • Would you like Cheese with that Whine?
    • View Profile
Two small issues with LCD TV
« on: March 17, 2009, 06:21:32 pm »
I'm up and running now but was wondering why when I run the AV setup wizard for Vid and Sound that I can only select 480p when my Vizio set is supposed to support 1080i.  What does that mean when the Wizard won't accept that config and flashes back for me to make another selection?  I've got all the right drivers installed.  This set is supposed to support 1366 X 768....

The next issue is that even at the command line (outside of X, and inside X) my screen needs to go a half inch to the right.  If I go into my TV's menu settings for RGB it does allow me to change the size; it does not with HDMI input.  Is there any way to overcome this limitation because this is driving me crazy and I have to use the DVI to HDMI connection.

Thanks for everyone's help thus far.

-UNi

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
Re: Two small issues with LCD TV
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:59:37 pm »
A note on this. My bedroom set is a 720p HD TV LCD. The resolution you state is 1366 X 768. That is the resolution for 720p.

The manual that came with mine states that it is 1080P compatible, but its native resolution is 720p or 1366 X 768.

Just throwing that out there.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:32:31 pm »
Hmmm I always thought 720p was 720 x 1280

Which leaves a small boarder around my 1366 x768 TV

I have gotten my tv to display the full 1366x 768 resolution by changing settings in xorg

Tim
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 07:41:42 pm »
That is what I meant. Sorry. I have made these changes to xorg.conf as well.

But I do not get the black bars around the border. Running UI1 at 720p on an intel graphics chip built into a Compaq Evo.

Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

UNi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 08:23:36 pm »
Can you share those settings that you put in Xorg?  I guess it's the Mode line?

Thanks,
UNi

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 11:08:17 pm »
seth - your display is scaling the image. That's how 1366x768 sets can get away with saying 1080 ready.... its a con of course! It just scales the incoming image down so it can be displayed, not only loosing resolution data, but also causing quantisation issues in the pixels....

UNI - you can start by turning on EDID in your config. This will allow X to talk to the display and negotiate what modes it will support. This doesn't always produce good results because of how poorly display manufacturers adhere to the EDID standards, but it does cause useful info to be logged in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file which may then allow you to custom design a modeline to suit your display. Also this is a useful resource for custom modelines - http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Modeline_Database

Steve

• Veteran
  • 16 Years Linux exp.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:21:07 am »
I think 1080i 1900x1080, if i'm not mistakin.

oops! 1920x1080
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 03:22:16 am by matrex »
Hybrid core Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R m/b 2.8Ghz 2 gig ram. HVR1600 on the core. 2 Orbiter on Android for control 1 phone the other tablet. Running 10.04

skeptic

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 03:13:23 am »
I think the 720p stuff was pretty well answered.

The A/V wizard should let you center the screen unless you mean you have adjusted it as far as it can go and it's sill a half inch off?  I have two TVs, one of them is pretty good, the other (cheap LCD TV/DVD combo) is a bit off even after adjusting it as good as I can.  I just live with it.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:29:43 am »
as I say, worst case (ie don't do this unless you have to!) you can use custom modelines to accurately adjust the porch timings to centre and size the screen correctly. As long as the display is capable of the resolution at the refresh rate you have selected, and you don't exceed the maximum pixel clock rate of your graphics hardware, then you should be able to design a modeline that exactly fits your image to the screen. Again, the EDID log can provide very useful info on what the timing values need to be... generally it is a matter of adjusting the front and back porch lengths....

UNi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 05:20:39 pm »
I was able to get it to a higher resolution using the AV Wizard.  Do you think your advice still applies though because the left side of the screen is skewed when I'm at the command line, outside of X.  Because the TV only has size adjustment for the VGA input and not the HDMI, I wonder if I'm just screwed.  I'm living with it but it's hellish annoying.

-UNi

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 10:16:17 pm »
Not sure which advice you are referring to.... but I wasn't suggesting adjusting the picture on the display. I was talking about adjusting the output parameters on the PC - which effects both HDMI and VGA. But I would say, if your image is now OK whilst in X/LMCE then don't worry about it. Who cares what it looks like in the terminal? You don't use it there. If you need a shell, you will usually ssh in from another PC or start a terminal from on the KDE desktop, so it doesn't really matter.

UNi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 11:52:37 pm »
Thanks, but it's not Ok within X, LMCE.  I know this isn't really an LMCE issue, but I was hoping maybe someone had a way of dealing with it.  I've got the resolution problem resolved, but the left side of the screen is basically cut off a 1/2 inch.  It does it within X and outside of X.  I'm guessing that if the TV doesn't support adjustment within its menu system, then there's not much I can do, but I'm not sure.   The TV does support RGB adjustments for size within its menu, just not for HDMI input.   I have to use the HDMI though.   

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 12:15:37 am »
Uni - are you reading my posts?

1. I have said, I am not suggesting adjusting the picture via your TV. Adjusting the output from your video card effects both HDMI and VGA
2. I have suggested you enable EDID and review the log file so that you can capture valuable information on the configuration you need
3. I pointed you to the modeline database which may very well have a modeline for your TV (or something that is close)

UNi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 04:44:33 pm »
I'm putting this here if others experience the same issue.  There's a built-in utility in LCMCE that allows you to resize your screen.  It presents a large red X that you can move around with arrows and the + and - key.  I was able to shrink my whole screen and it looks pretty now.  Using this obviates the need to manually tweak config files as suggested.