Author Topic: Media Sharing  (Read 8004 times)

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Media Sharing
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 02:40:42 pm »
Why don't you guys talk about actually how to integrate it into the system, instead of duct taping it on?

Come on guys, stop thinking like typical Linux users.

-Thom

Wouldn't one core detect and add the samba share from another core if they are on the same network? Then add a Copy file to other directory in the media files sync web page (instead of only a move file to other directory). We could browse the remote share and copy media to local disk. That may be the easiest way to integrate it into the system.

Donpaul,

why don't you implement it, and let us all know, how good it works.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 02:48:58 pm »
Donpaul,

I wish I could, or even had the skillset to. I can of course implement the linux portion, but the only coding I can do is perl and sh.

gollywog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 03:48:52 pm »
This is the exact reason this post is here. If I could do it, I would have done it, but because I can't, I'm asking for ideas/help. Donpaul is just throwing some suggestions into the ring and thanks mate, appreciated. I'm learning and once I have my core running I will be playing with my core and a virtualised core to see what we can do but like donpaul, I'm only a friend of linux and have very little experience in coding etc.

Thanks to all of the positive comments, this is why we are where we are. :) lets keep it rolling and make what is the best even better :D

Gollywog

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 03:56:12 pm »
Donpaul,

I wish I could, or even had the skillset to. I can of course implement the linux portion, but the only coding I can do is perl and sh.

Donpaul,

that is all that is needed to implement your suggestion. Setup some vpn, setup up the remote servers in your local install, and you should be able to do what you suggested, i.e. move files between servers. Whether or not you will find this usable is another thing. I for one think that the connection speed WILL be the limiting factor.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 07:01:43 pm »
A "copy to another location" in the media files sync would make this easy to integrate - but that part I do not know. A copy ability would be great for copying media from any share really.