Author Topic: Mount /home to new hard drive?  (Read 12654 times)

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
Mount /home to new hard drive?
« on: March 07, 2009, 03:40:16 am »
I am adding a new hard drive to the core, and want /home to use it. I want media separate from the OS drive, and will use hardware mirroring. Would anyone see a problem with mounting /home to a separate hard drive? I'll do the typical fdisk/mkfs to partition/format it, and place the mount point in /etc/fstab. I do not want LinuxMCE to treat it as a disk.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Mount /home to new hard drive?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 03:54:33 am »
yes that will be a big problem - cardinal rule, that is repeated everywhere on these forums and wiki, do not mount or symlink anything! No, just don't! Stop it! Right now!!

Partition and format your drive with ext3, then install it in your core and wait for LMCE to detect it and prompt you what to do with it. Tell it you want to use the LMCE folder structure and to use it automatically. LMCE will then do all the automounting and symlinking needed to present it to your core for media, and to all other MDs in the house completely transparently. If you attempt to mount or symlink it yourself, you will break LMCE's storage management mechanism (probably permanently!)

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 04:00:22 am »
LOL. That really blows! My current hd is 250GB, not near enough for my myth recordings, and I would hate to blow away my system to install LinuxMCE on my new 1.5TB. It really should be possible to add a second HD and mount it to /home. I also get bugged about having mythtv recording on the same part as the OS. Oh Well.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 04:01:53 am »
Oh BTW, I searched the wiki and forum, but only really saw "do not use LVM" - Which I wouldn't. But I didn't see a defining "no you can't mount a second hard drive to /home".

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 04:13:52 am »
Yeah, um.. don't mess with /home. :)

One of the things I am working on in 0810 is the usage of MythTV 0.21's Storage Groups. We will dynamically update the default storage group in MythTV as Storage Devices hop on and off the network. The system will then determine using a set of criteria which disk to use:

* Disk Space
* I/O Bandwidth
* etc.

This should solve that problem. We couldn't use it before, because it didn't exist in 0.20, and we didn't have time to build something that we knew was going to be obsolete anyway.

-Thom

-Thom

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 04:32:10 am »
That is great news! Thanks for the replies. I'm glad I asked before I tried it!

I can't wait for 0810! I am bringing up more hardware to try the alpha build.

rocketlynx

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 02:02:39 am »
yes that will be a big problem - cardinal rule, that is repeated everywhere on these forums and wiki, do not mount or symlink anything! No, just don't! Stop it! Right now!!

Partition and format your drive with ext3, then install it in your core and wait for LinuxMCE to detect it and prompt you what to do with it. Tell it you want to use the LinuxMCE folder structure and to use it automatically. LinuxMCE will then do all the automounting and symlinking needed to present it to your core for media, and to all other MDs in the house completely transparently. If you attempt to mount or symlink it yourself, you will break LinuxMCE's storage management mechanism (probably permanently!)
I believe I've done this but LMCE fails to recognize it.
Collin, you've replied to me on another topic regarding the media drive dissappearing.  This is a different problem I'm working on for a friend setting up his first system.  We've got the core and a MD working great on 810-Alpha2.27, but I can't seem to remember how I got my second disk drive on my system up and running.

On his, I've partitioned the drive as one big 1.5TB volume (sdb) as ext3.  The motherboard sees it and if I go into Dolphin, it sees it and, in fact, has a Lost & Found Folder in it, but LMCE has not yet recognized it.  Many reboots and days have past, I don't think it's going to happen on it's own.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charles

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 02:09:57 am »
hmmm

first make sure there is no device in the device tree to represent this disk

then check that the device isn't listed Unknown Devices (if it is, click Unlock)

then check the MySQL table pluto_main.pnpqueue - see if there are any pnp events in there for that device, either way, its probably best to delete all the events in that table

now reload the router and wait... in the pnpqueue you should see the disk being detected, and then it should create the device in the device tree and prompt you, etc.

if this doesn't happen, then it may be a problem with the storage radar not detecting the disk for some reason... we can look into that after you have tried the above.

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 01:23:57 pm »
Hi,

I have a similar problem. 810 beta.

Ok, I only see one disk listed in WebAdmin. That is my main disk (I think)
I can't see any unknown devices.
When I do a selct from PnPQueue I get 3442 rows returned. None have my core's IP address listed, so I assume none relate to the disk?

Should I delete the queue table contents?

Advice gratefully received - I don't want to have to rebuild because I do something wrong!
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 02:01:56 pm »
you can safely delete the contents of the pnpqueue table.

-Thom

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 02:24:01 pm »
Thanks, Thom!

Is that it, or do I need to restart / reboot anything to get the disk recognised?

I should point out that I formatted the disk (ext3) before I installed Kubuntu / MCE to the other disk in the system, so it's been there all along. Any idea why it hasn't beed detected? Where should I look?
Paul
If you have the time to help, please see where I have got to at: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Wierdbeard65

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 02:24:55 pm »
reloading the router should be sufficient.

-Thom

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 02:50:08 pm »
Ok,

Did all that, but still nothing. No messages on Orbiter. Nothing in device tree.

PnpQueue now has 76 records, though!

Any ideas what I should try now?
Paul

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 02:52:27 pm »
you partitioned the disk with fdisk and wrote a filesystem to it?

-Thom

wierdbeard65

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • My Quest
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 03:28:55 pm »
I did, yes  :(

Just to be sure, I just deleted the partition and re-created it. I've then re-formatted to ext3.

How long should it take to show up in the orbiter?
Paul