Author Topic: How did you end up here, using LinuxMCE?  (Read 18568 times)

ivanp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: How did you end up here, using LinuxMCE?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 08:34:53 pm »
In the middle of 2008 i saw that famous Google video. I dont know how i got to it, i think i was just googling the term MCE. After viewing the video 3 times in a row (yeah, it took over an hour for that ;D) i was convienced to at least try installing it. I am a total Linux newbie, but I work in IT and networking so know a lot of it. After seeing that i have almost ideal parts for it (M2NPV-VM, PVR150) i figuered out it was destiny for me to try it ;D :D ;D. After first install didnt know a thing how or would to do. After reading of tons of stuff on Wiki and here on forums, decided to give it another shot. Ordered Fiire Chief online and started to build a system step by step. My system is small, Core and 2 MDs, all located in one small room, just for testing purposes. Few orbiters and now moved on to VOIP and Zwave. After i am sure it all works i will try to convience my parents (since i still live with them in a flat) to let me hook it up all through the house. Been lurking this forum for almost a year now and decided to join as i think i can help some ppl with trivial stuff. Hoping that one day i ll be able to upload a moive to youtube/google of my entire flat controlled by LinuxMCE.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 01:49:10 am by ivanp »

Che

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2009, 04:02:11 pm »
Stumbled accross the site about a month ago, whilst looking for Media Center Stuff, and so far, it's all questions for me.
I will be using Vista for the moment, bbut as soon as I can, I will upgrade to LMCE.

extremeshannon

• Regular Poster
  • Base Jumping in Twin Falls
    • View Profile
    • ExtremeShannon
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2009, 11:53:04 pm »
I just happen to come accross the website over a year ago. I was looking to rip movies and play them accross my Netgear EVA8000 and found kaleidoscope liked the concept but was to much for me. I search some  more and ended up here and I don't plan on leaving. Thanks for a great experience.

Murdock

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2009, 04:09:41 am »
I was desperately searching for an alternative to Windows MCE and stumbled across the lmce website, watched he video and got excited. I spent the next couple of months planning what I needed to do to get started. I budgeted and purchased a Fiire 12TB (of which I'm currently using 4TB) and a fiire diskless MD, ran cat5e cable behind my walls and spent a weekend getting up lmce 0710. Since then I've been configuring a usb UIRT, hardening the core kernel and becoming familiar with the lmce system, all the while finding this website and the wiki an invaluable tool.

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 12:05:26 am »
I started working with Plutohome in February 2006. We tried to build a custom home automation system. We made custom controller to control lighting, heating and sparkling. Interface between Plutohome and controller was implemented using GSD. During one year we fixed a few bugs together with Pluto development team. Together with Chris we ported Orbiter to Maemo platform. Unfortunately I left company where worked with smarthomes and now  LinuxMCE  is my hobby only.

Recently I started Russian community of LinuxMCE to promote it in Russia.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 12:08:33 am by nite_man »
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

spic0m

• View Profile
    • PCBheaven
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 11:54:39 am »
Hi to everyone!

After many years in Microsoft hostage with 2k i didn't want to upgrade in xp or vista so i started looking for alternatives, i ended up with Ubuntu and "saw the light" :).
Next discovery was asterisk, a thing i was dreaming for years, then i heard of mythtv and started thinking if there was a way to implement all this in a nice package.
Unfortunatelly my knowledge in programing and in linux os was not enough to accomplish this so one day surfing here and there i saw the video! That was it, my prayers was heard, next day i started ordering stuff (tv cards, remotes, etc.) and now, without much effort i have a hybrid pc running smoothly media (tv,dvd,music) and gathering money for lighting sensors and the rest.
The only thing bugging be is the telephony but i'm optimistic :).
Thank you all guys who participated in this project.

Bozza

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 03:05:41 pm »
I had been using various versions of Windows Media Centre (Everything from XP to Windows 7 RC1) and was reasonably satisfied with them until..... CHILDREN!! I got myself a living wrecking ball which went on a mission to throw all the DVD's across the house and demolish anything in his path so I really needed a way to fix this.

I then went on to finding linux based media centres and tried MythDora, Mythbuntu, standard MythTV on an Ubuntu install and finally eAROS but they either didn't seem to suit or in the case of eAROS just didn't work period.

MythTV was the closest but I only have 1 MCE remote and couldn't put a kb/mouse in the bedroom due to the whole wrecking ball situation.

I continued to google and came across the digg on LinuxMCE, skimmed through the video and decided to give it a whirl

So I grabbed an old Athlon 64 3500+ system I had previously decommissioned as my server and installed LinuxMCE onto it.

Install went well until it came to configuring TV.. I have an Asus U3100 DVB-T USB tuner which 710 doesn't even recognize... After a bit of research I found the firmware file for my tuner and was on my way to television goodness... Now that I had a working core this didn't solve my problem so I installed a diskless MD in my own bedroom to test and was pleasently suprised with how simple it was to get going.

I now have a second MD in the loungeroom attached to the LCD TV and have plans to put one in my sons room (Pending wife approval to run more cables)

I also plan to configure the telephone/camera systems and ultimately some HA equipment (Again pending wife approval) but for now i'm happy with just media

Overall it does some things I find strange (Such as being able to sort videos in any order except the order/structure i've copied them onto the core in) but the pros far outweigh the cons so i'll try to get used to it or jump into the deep end and try and change it.  :)

That's my story ;D