Author Topic: Videos/Live TV on orbiter?  (Read 2855 times)

los93sol

• Guru
    • View Profile
Videos/Live TV on orbiter?
« on: March 06, 2009, 10:40:41 pm »
I don't think it is currently possible, but is there any way to set it up so that I can view my media, be it videos, livetv, etc. from my orbiter devices?  What would need to be done to get this working if it's not already possible, are there plans for it?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Videos/Live TV on orbiter?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 11:15:45 pm »
It is not possible at the moment. Video can only be played back on a media director. Having said that, there are portable touch computers which can double as Orbiter and Media Director.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:48:37 am »
Conceptually, if it can play back the media then it is a media director! As possy mentions, there are units out there that can do this. The wireless boot is typically the main issue, but either way you are going to need the grunt of a larger system than simple web pads... its a catch 22, once you distill the question, you are effectively trying to do something without doing something.. if that makes sense!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:03:30 am »
We need a concept of a non-MD video player, much the same as what we do for audio zones for squeezeboxes. This can be done, but some legwork will need to be done to create for example a DLNA media player device.

I believe niz23 wanted to work on this at some point, but life sometimes gets in the way. ;-)

With this said, it is possible to assign a dlna device to a room and be able to send MH Media Play commands to it. But it needs to be written.

There are other aspects, for example, how do you trigger the device? You would have to create a room for the device called portable devices, and split EAs up so that you could map multiple media players into the same room, etc.

This is a place for much experimentation, but first, the DLNA streamer needs to be written, and hooked into Xine Plugin. This device would run on the core, and would be talked to by the individual DLNA player devices.

Any takers?

-Thom

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 03:01:49 am »
Stupid question, but why hooked into the Xine plugin? Wouldn't Media Plugin talk to it to send media, or are you talking about using a xine player device somewhere to stream to the DNLA device?

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 04:24:07 am »
DLNA would kick ass and is definitely needed. I wish I could help! TVs streaming movies from the core without a MD opens a world of possibilities.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 04:38:12 am »
well, actually there would be a DLNA Plugin entirely separate, which would handle the DLNA devices.

Media Plugin itself has no media playing functionality. It's almost entirely signaling logic and the abstract classes, which are concretized by the various media player plugins. The exception to this is the Generic MediaHandler, which handles all legacy A/V (the np_Foo media types).

-Thom