Author Topic: Swapping identical MD mac address  (Read 5042 times)

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
Swapping identical MD mac address
« on: March 06, 2009, 03:27:58 pm »
I have been robbed :'(
Amongst other things my Asus eee b202 was stolen. Happily they didn't find my core or NAS.

I have now purchased a new asus eee b202 to replace the stolen one. My question is:
Can I change the mac address under the media director section (in web admin) to match the new asus NIC? Theoretically, it might just work without generating a new MD and having to configure it.

Anyone ever done this?
Barney

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
Re: Swapping identical MD mac address
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:41:02 pm »
I would try it out. Can't loose much, can you?

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:47:41 pm »
True. If it fails ... who cares.

Just wasn't sure about dhcp and mac address, but like you said ... nothing to lose.
Barney

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 04:09:28 pm »
Yes you can just change the MAC in webadmin to the new one and it will boot.  DHCP will give the device a new IP address but that will make no difference at all.

I have done this with Fiire invisible boxes.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 04:31:58 pm »
Perfect ;D

I'll try it tonight. Thanks Dale_K
Barney

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 08:26:18 pm »
b4rney

hmmm... the pnp system should identify it as the "same" MD based on MAC address when it is triggered by the DHCP plugin... but you might want to edit /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf and update the MAC address there as well, that should really make LMCE see this as exactly the same device...

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:06:07 pm »
colinjones,

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure I do that too.

I'll report back if it works.
Barney

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 11:16:57 pm »
b4rney

hmmm... the pnp system should identify it as the "same" MD based on MAC address when it is triggered by the DHCP plugin... but you might want to edit /etc/dhcp3/dhcpd.conf and update the MAC address there as well, that should really make LMCE see this as exactly the same device...

The dhcpd.conf file is overwritten by PlutoDHCP. Either on each start or on each reload, I am not sure.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 01:14:34 am »
b4rney

The dhcpd.conf file is overwritten by PlutoDHCP. Either on each start or on each reload, I am not sure.

possy - I don't think that is true. Not only have I had to manually remove MAC addresses in that file in the past to get a redetection, but just listing the file with modification time shows mine hasn't been modified in nearly a month, and I have rebooted and reloaded many many times in the last 2 weeks!

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 12:46:16 pm »
I have been robbed :'(
Amongst other things my Asus eee b202 was stolen. Happily they didn't find my core or NAS.

I have now purchased a new asus eee b202 to replace the stolen one. My question is:
Can I change the mac address under the media director section (in web admin) to match the new asus NIC? Theoretically, it might just work without generating a new MD and having to configure it.

Anyone ever done this?
Barney

Hi,

Sorry to hear of your break in.

Yes you can swap the Mac address of an MD... it works best if the MD you replace it with hardware with the same spec. Just go into Web Admin -> Devices -> Media Directors and then just update the 'Mac' field with the new devices Mac address, click 'Save' at the bottom of the page and then do a reload router. Now just power up your replacement MD and let it PXE boot as usual.

We do this all the time. It is especially useful if you have a hardware failure and need to replace an MD (in our case for one of our customers) but equally useful in your situation where you have had an MD stolen!

All the best

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 06:46:00 pm »

I don't think that is true.

Colinjones, you are correct. The dhcpd.conf is overwritten when
  • A new diskless MD is setup
  • A GC-100 is installed

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:10:58 pm »
got it, thanks for the clarification possy!

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 10:56:54 pm »
OK Guys, did this just now.

All that is required is to change the mac address as described by totallymaxed. I forgot to reload the router but it worked without that anyway.

Thanks for all your help. Hope nobody else needs this thread for the same reasons! Fortunately I was insured. It's a bit too obscure for a wiki entry I think as hardware needs to be an exact match.

I sourced the replacement online in the UK. These asus eee b202 boxes vary wildly in price and I found one for £220 delivered .... and then the insurance company sourced them on argos.co.uk for £199 plus £7 delivery. I recommend these highly. Just don't buy one for a few quid from some dodgy bloke in the pub.

Anyone tested these under 810? Do the graphics perform better with newer drivers?
Barney