Author Topic: "Disc detected in drive." recurring message  (Read 4430 times)

bobua

• View Profile
"Disc detected in drive." recurring message
« on: March 03, 2009, 06:22:25 am »
Got mce installed just fine, had the black video problem on boot but worked that out.  My only problem seems to be that when I insert a dvd, mce continuously pops up a message that says "disc detected in drive."  I've done a lot of google searching, and searching these forums, and I seem to be the only one with the problem.  The dvd shows up on the desktop in kubuntu, but no matter what I do(press the x in the top right or the black ok button in the bottom left) the disc detected in drive message pops up every 2 seconds or so.

Any ideas?

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: "Disc detected in drive." recurring message
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:57:14 am »
it may be a problem specific to one disc. Try another disc and see if the problem persists, that will at least narrow it down

Afkpuz

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:25:44 pm »
I've definitely seen dvd's that will not load properly in linux.  For example, an american carol would not mount on my LMCE or ubuntu box.  I could easily see discs loaded with DRM only mounting partially, then failing and trying again.

bobua

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 01:51:56 am »
well, i got it to stop by removing the device from the web admin and letting it reinstall it, unfortunately i still can't use the play or rip functions.  Tried different dvd's, but it always says something like cannot play this media, perhaps there is not a valid device in this entertainment area capable of playing it.

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 02:39:16 am »
is libdvdcss2 installed? You can do this from the add software screen

bobua

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 03:24:44 am »
is libdvdcss2 installed? You can do this from the add software screen

yep, got it installed.  from the kde desktop i played a dvd just to make sure I could, use xine i think?  had to go into its config and change it from dev\cdrom to dev\scd0  went into the admin website and found the disk drive entry, it was set to dev\cdrom also, changed it and rebooted, still nothing.

edit: the log for the cd drive is just stacked with "could not determine disc type:  Doing nothing!" errors... and I've tried multiple brand new dvd's, nothing strange, no imports\out of region\bootleg\scratched
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 03:32:50 am by bobua »

jondecker76

• Alumni
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 04:18:47 am »
thats odd...

I did have a drive issue once with LMCE after replacing a drive with a new one (from a different manufacturer). I know you said that it works in Kubuntu, but it would be worth deleting the device and trying another drive. It should be auto detected

bobua

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:14:46 am »
just to be sure, i formatted and reloaded lmce, this time it used dev\scd0 but the 'disc detected in drive' error came back, i unchecked 'send events' to get rid of that problem(although that's not really a fix) but I still can't play or rip any dvd's.  same error on playing, ripping says 'there's a problem ripping this media.  please check the logs or contact tech support.'

I also have the same unable to identify media in the logs over and over again.  I would do a dvd swap but I don't have another sata dvd drive laying around, ill give it a shot when I can, any other suggestions?

bobua

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 05:53:52 am »
Found an old ide dvd reader, plugged it in just to make myself feel better. 

All issues resolved.

Thanks for the help, sorry for any time wasted.