Author Topic: Over 3000 mounts for USB hard drive?? Core hanging...  (Read 2805 times)

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
Over 3000 mounts for USB hard drive?? Core hanging...
« on: March 01, 2009, 07:15:23 pm »
Disclaimer: LinuxMCE is running flawless, fast, and I love it. I am sure that any problem discussed here is not caused by LinuxMCE in any manner; it is most likely the result of the tools used by LinuxMCE or the operating system itself. It could also be caused by the end user, but that is highly unlikely. ;-)

Would anyone know why my USB disks are being mounted repeatedly to /tmp? And why they hang around indefinately? And how do I stop it so I can mount them permanently? This only happens when I use a USB drive, and it is not isolated to any single one. I also tried on a different core, and had the same result.

There are currently over 3000 mount processes hogging my core:
dcerouter_106554:/etc# ps -ef | grep mount | wc -l
dcerouter_106554:/etc# ps -ef | grep mount
root     31242     1  0 13:08 pts/5    00:00:00 /bin/bash -e /bin/mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/tmp.mHsMS31235
root     31243 31242  0 13:08 pts/5    00:00:00 /bin/mount.wraped /dev/sdb1 /tmp/tmp.mHsMS31235

This happens every morning, and I have to reboot in order to clear it up. If I try to watch media, the MD will hang.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: Over 3000 mounts for USB hard drive?? Core hanging...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 06:27:29 am »
The repeated mounts you are seeing are normal. They are an aspect of the automounter, and should not be tampered with at all. The mount happens from the automounter, the disk does its accesses, and 5 seconds after no activity, the disk is unmounted.

What is NOT normal however, is that the mount is _hanging_ around.. actually, that makes no sense... are there thousands of mounts when you type mount?

-Thom

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:15:14 pm »
No, mount and df both show normal mounts. It's just that the processes will hang around, and eventually bring the core to it's knees. I haven't seen it happen yet today, and I am watching it closely.

donpaul

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:28:49 pm »
So I think I found the trigger. Anytime I copy or move a lot of media from one mount to another, this happens. It doesn't matter if I do it through files & media on the web admin, or do it on the command line. It hangs the core and I have to reboot. Quite frustrating actually.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:31:32 pm »
If you don't copy/move files between mounts at all (for a good period of time, say days), do you get any of these processes hanging around?