Author Topic: new guy hoping to make it work  (Read 7183 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: new guy hoping to make it work
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 07:53:36 pm »
Yes.

My question is, why don't you just go Z-Wave?

Much more reliable, and flexible (and automatically detected)

-Thom

dabull69

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 08:48:45 pm »
the price. unless there is a better place to look on ebay all the modules are like 30-50 bucks where as x-10 is like 3-5. but if there is a cheaper place to get the zwave id be all about it, but for now im on a tight budget.

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2009, 08:52:48 pm »
the price. unless there is a better place to look on ebay all the modules are like 30-50 bucks where as x-10 is like 3-5. but if there is a cheaper place to get the zwave id be all about it, but for now im on a tight budget.

best i could find was ebay for 30-50 as you mentioned, but when i do go for lighting automation, I would rather do it slowly with z-wave then x10. From reading the wiki and forums, it is a much more solid system, seems to work better overall, and is the most reliable when controlling it.

dabull69

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 09:09:06 pm »
yeah and think when it comes to putting together a final system for my house i will prolly go z-wave or insteon but right now im living with my grandmother in her house and im more or less just wanting to play arround with some features and help her out a little bit b/c she is going blind.

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 10:35:53 pm »
Having a bunch of X-10 stuff lying around and installed, the difference between X-10 and things like Z-Wave is speed. It takes 1-2-3 to turn on a light with X-10. It is near instantaneous with Z-Wave. If you think about using a technology for every switch/light in the house, Z-Wave (or KNX/EIB) is a perfect choice.