Author Topic: new z-wave install  (Read 2728 times)

barbaroja

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
new z-wave install
« on: February 28, 2009, 01:38:23 am »
Hello all,

I purchased a home back in november and have been slowly renovating it.  I'm now at the stage of running all new wiring (just finished the heavy-up, previously the house was on 60 amps total).  I'm the perfect combination of control freak and linux nerd and while I would have preferred an open standard (OPEN-NET, etc) Z-Wave certainly appears to be a better choice for unity in my automation system when compared to insteon or X10.

I am about to purchase all new switches/dimmers to install now, but be able to program later.  Currently I'm looking at the Leviton VRI06-1LX (Z-Wave 600-Watt 2-Wire Dimmer [Leviton Vizia RF+]) for my primary switches and the Leviton VRF01-1LZ (Z-Wave 1.5A Scene Capable Quiet Fan Speed Control [Leviton Vizia RF +]).

The current setup would be 4 of these light switches in the kitchen (controlling 4 different LED light circuits, all capable of incandesent loads), 1 light and 1 fan for each other room (5 other rooms total) and 2 for different hallway lights.  Additionally, I would install 3 Leviton VP00R1LX (Z-Wave Companion Dimming Switch [Leviton Vizia+]) for the "3 way" switches.

The total inventory on this would be:

VRI06-1LX  - 11
VRF01-1LZ - 5
VP00R1LX  - 3

How much is this going overkill?  Are there things I'm overlooking?  A better product than the Leviton switches?  ???

Thanks!

Pnuts

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: new z-wave install
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 03:34:19 am »
Slightly on topic and seems to fit in with what he is asking...

Is there a wiki page that outlines the different choices available for use (z-wave, x10, etc)

Then expanding on those choices, lists what is required in order to set that brand up to connect it to the LMCE system.

Then slightly expanding on that, a list of available items (shitches\dimmers, etc) and which ones are known to work with LMCE, which have some quirks and which do not work at all?

Forgive me if i missed it, but i didnt find anything like this. What information is available seems to be scattered over several pages and makes it difficult for someone that does not know a lot to get a grasp on exactly what would be needed, etc. Im getting an idea as I go, but if this doesnt exist, it would be a good asset to newbies or those just trying to expand their current system. Ill help make something once i get to that point if it doesnt exist already.

barbaroja

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:32:31 pm »
If not using Z-Wave can anyone else suggest another product with similar functionality?  Insteon, etc?

Marie.O

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Wastes Life On LinuxMCE Since 2007
    • View Profile
    • My Home
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 07:41:47 pm »
Something a bit more expensive than Z-Wave

Kids - You just need to program them to do as you say. They even work without requiring additional electricity.