Author Topic: Orbiter Screen Size / Options  (Read 2983 times)

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Orbiter Screen Size / Options
« on: August 18, 2009, 12:46:23 pm »
I have an Acer aspire one which i am using as an orbiter and would like to have it running full screen (1200 x 600). None of the available sizes seem to fit well. Is there a way that I can get it full screen.

I also use a fedora PC as my computer and would like to have an Orbiter running on it.( instead of inside a windows XP virtual PC). Is there a native linux Orbiter.

gadget

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Orbiter Screen Size / Options
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 03:29:11 pm »
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Custom_Display_Resolutions

There is code for a Linux Orbiter, and it has been compiled and run on several devices, but there is no installer or deb package available right now.  Try the web orbiter: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Web_Orbiter

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:53:51 pm »
A new entry in the Size table needs to be made for 1200x600, so that Orbiter can access it. You can do this with any standard database tool, or even via command line with MySQL, look at the other rows in the Size table for examples.

As for Orbiter, you can copy the Orbiter binary to another linux machine. You'll also need a few dependencies:

* sdl
* sdl-image
* sdl-ttf
* sge
* mysqlclient
* hid
* PlutoUtils (/usr/pluto/lib)
* SerializeClass (/usr/pluto/lib)
* SDL_Helpers (/usr/pluto/lib)

You can then run orbiter. If it detects this is a new orbiter, it will ask a few questions to set itself up. If you've created a new entry in the Size table, your resolution will show up in the list of choices.

Keep in mind, this orbiter is designed for dedicated use, so it will assume its rendering surface will completely cover the screen it is using.

-Thom

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:56:04 pm »
Thanks for the help. It was pretty straight forward to add the new resolution to the size table and i now have an orbiter the fills the screen properly.
I think that this should be a standard screen size as there are a lot of net-tops/netbooks with this resolution.(1024 x 600 and not 1200 x 600) as i originally stated.

I know that asus have just release a tablet version for under $1000 in Australia, and that is also 1024 x 600.

As to the Linux orbiter I will attempt that over the next few weeks as It will work for the Acer as well as my desktop. Would much prefer the Acer to run ubuntu and obiter than windows and orbiter and it already dual boots.

gadget

gadget

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 02:16:04 pm »
Hi Thom,

I have downloaded all the reuired packages as per your list. I had to 2 more steps
   * add  libDCECommon.so.
add root@IP-ADDR-OF-ORBITER to mysql. ( Can this be configured )

I was not prompted for anything when i ran orbiter for the first time and had a screen that was strange, and system locked up.
After re-booting i now get the following message.

GenericHIDInterface::UpdateEventDevices() - End <0xb3654b90>
Segmentation Fault

There are also a couple of errors higher up.
Invalid type of WM_CLIENT_MACHINE_PROPERTY property
Invalid type of _NET_WM_PID property.

Not sure how to go from here.

gadget

dothedog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 03:44:33 pm »
Gadget, I ran into this a while back and my solution is to run the Orbiter in wine. The SDL version kind of takes over your whole machine so you can't do anything else with it. I do run it on a nettop with 1024x600 full screen. I had to play with the pixel counts so it would just fit on the screen.

Hope that helps.

DoTheDog