Author Topic: DCERouter fails to start  (Read 3842 times)

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
DCERouter fails to start
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:38:46 am »
My system crashed over the weekend and I rebooted it. Now a bunch of things are not working when it boots up. I had this happen before on the older version (7 series) and that is when I switched over to the 8.10 alpha. I am completely up to date on everything.

If I run "/usr/pluto/bin/Start_DCERouter.sh" then it starts manually, but I am sure that is not the only thing broken as any client on the network now has no Internet access. DNS works, but packets do not route through the core machine.

I just reinstalled a ton of packages (basically pluto-*) and rebooted a few times. I don't even know what logs to look at. Oh and my UUID for one of my drives got changed so it wouldn't auto-mount. I updated the database and it started working, but only after I created /mnt/device.

Basically I had a craptacular weekend. Any help as to where to start looking? I really don't feel like wiping the system out and starting over again. I will, but I'd rather understand what is going on than just blindly wipe my disk.

jimbodude

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: DCERouter fails to start
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:53:45 pm »
Look in /var/log/pluto especially at DCERouter.log, LaunchManager.log, and LaunchManager.process.log.  Use the data there to answer the following questions:
1) Is DCERouter starting and failing, or not starting at all? (use the timestamps to determine)  Provide any errors
2) Is the LaunchManager doing something that takes a particularly long time, or getting hung up on something?
3) Is LaunchManager looping trying to connect to the router forever?

If DCERouter simply isn't starting, but LaunchManager is doing its thing normally, I had a similar issue recently - the root cause was that a bunch of lock files weren't cleaned up properly when someone pulled the power cord on my core.  I don't remember where they were off the top of my head - I think there were some in /var/run and /usr/pluto/lock

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 11:27:02 pm »
DCERouter.log wasn't even getting created, I launched it manually and it started.
I had something looping forever and I think it was LaunchManager (at work right now).

First thing when I get home is to kill all the lock files and reboot. Maybe it is just that simple. Here's hoping!   :D

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 12:55:45 am »
OK, so I deleted everything in pluto's lock folder. Then I rebooted. Almost everything came back to normal. I had to go into the webadmin and turn off the firewall (don't know why) so that it would route packets again. Other than that, it seems to be working. Well, except that I'm having some trouble booting a media director but I think that is a different problem.

Thanks for the help!

WhateverFits

• Guru
    • View Profile
    • Sean Walker
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:55:28 pm »
OK, the networking problems are in several other threads. I just couldn't read them since my networking was down.  ;D