Author Topic: using linuxmce as a  (Read 4029 times)

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
using linuxmce as a
« on: February 20, 2009, 05:16:22 pm »
Hi there . is it possible to use linux mce as a web server . i want to do  this to save on esb . rite now i have  trixbox pc ,a web server pc and storage pc

i would like to run them all under linux mce ,

could this be done

cheers
Gov
P.s all these machines are protected by linux smoothwall firewall

Dale_K

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: using linuxmce as a
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 05:39:07 pm »
I'm really a LMCE noob so I don't have any "hard data" on this.  However, if your LMCE box is like mine, it's up and down with a frequency that I would find undesirable for a web server.  Also, thinking about running any other non-LMCE service on my Core makes me feel queesy (again, no hard evidence whatsoever, just my gut feeling).

And that, I'm sure, was of absolutely no use to you.  :(

fearingsept

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 05:51:35 pm »
I think it would be possible to use as a web server. I use  mine all time time as a ftp host for files I wish to access remotely from work.
Now that I have worked out my hardware issues with my core I think I may have restarted it once in about 3 or 4 months. My internet has gone down 2 times but not related to LMCE at all... basically cox broke my modem when they sent upgrades to it without my knowledge. I had to call them to find out....

... anyway.. if you are willing to work with it a little then I bet you could find a way to make it work.
Core: Broken :(

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 10:16:17 pm »
It already is a web server, what do you think the admin site is?! I believe plenty of other people have used this for web serving as well, and things like vdr-admin are just extensions by adding new web sites to it. Obviously, don't go at it with a chainsaw, but yes... (my core, generally is up for days or weeks at a time, and is only down for a reboot of 2 mins... certainly not unreliable)

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:56:07 am »
how to i get into the web server to add more domains. ie if some types in www.domain.com it would pick up the corrected folder up?

please advise on how to add more domains or folders to  the web server on linux mce.

cheers
Govo
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 12:07:34 am by Govo »

zug

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • High Tech Pad
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:32:48 pm »
you need to look in /etc/apache2/sites-available/
Create a new file called piknclik and then enter the following :

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        ServerName www.piknclik.com
        DocumentRoot /var/www/piknclik/
        <Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
        </Directory>
        <Directory /var/www/piknclik/>
              Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
              AllowOverride None
              Order allow,deny
              allow from all
        </Directory>
        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
</VirtualHost>

This assumes /var/www/piknclik is where your html files are. Change this accordingly.

Then run 'sudo a2ensite piknclik' , and then run 'sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reload'

Job Done :)
Z-Wave,  Peripherals, Licenced Media Directors and Cores now available with European-wide Delivery at www.hightechpad.com.