Author Topic: X10 Troubleshooting  (Read 7582 times)

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: X10 Troubleshooting
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 02:41:46 pm »
Seth -

Yes, the X10 devices don't support the bi-directional communication (though its in the protocol). To my knowlege, the only X10 switch that ever supported it was made by levitron  years ago and they are very hard to get now. I'm pretty sure that is what is going on.

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 05:00:01 pm »
 :)
Ok, did some extensive testing/breaking over the weekend, and I have this to report:

I have the following items in the house:

6 - WS12A dimming switches
2 - 2456D3 Insteon LampLinc dimmer modules
1 - 2886DB Insteon Keypad dimmer switch
3 - SS13A Wireless Wall switches

I have all the Insteon stuff set to each have an X10 address. The keypad dimmer controls a local light as well as 4 of the WS12's as well as the 2 lamplinc dimmer modules.

Here is what I see.
- The WS12's report randomly off or on, it is to erratic to say which reliably.
- The SS13A's via the RR501 RF receiver, report both on and off to the lighting map. My guess is the RR501 is bi-directional
- All of the insteon/set to X10 devices report on/off to the lighting map
- If I control a WS12 from the Insteon keypad dimmer, it reports on/off to the lighting map

So stand-alone, the WS12 dimmer switches are random as to updating the media map.
The RR501 in combination with the SS13's are somehow bi-directional (I suspect the rr501)
The Insteon devices set up to have an X10 address, are bi-directional.

I will do further testing. I have ordered 6 - WS14 Non-Dimming X10 switches, as well as another 3 pack of the SS13's and an additional rr501 for a different House code. When they get here, I will do some more testing.

I have been buying my X10 stuff from the X10 Express store on ebay. They always have pretty good deals, although sometimes the shipping can be high.

I will continue to expand on this X10 based installation, until such time as the Insteon drivers are fixed for the PLM. The X10 stuff is cheap, and the driver included with 710rc2 is very good.

Eventually I will have to get rid of my dimmer switches as they discontinue the manufacturing of incadescent bulbs in lieu of the newer flourescent jobs, but for now, I guess I will keep stocking up on inc. bulbs  ;)

Best Regards,

Seth
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

jondecker76

• Alumni
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 02:17:04 am »
Seth -

I only have 1 dimming X10 light in my house, and that is in the Living Room. Every other switch I use an X10 XPS3 On.Off switch which works great with compact fluorescent bulbs, and is very reliable. They do make a click noise though (which I like personally). Also, they require a hot and a neutral wire at the switch - which can be a limiting factor for some.